What Are Your Pet Peeves?

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
HSpencer

Post by HSpencer »

Everyone has them. Here is a partial list of mine in no specific order:
Pet Peeves.
A clock on the wall that displays the wrong time. Set the clock, replace it, or take it down.
A mini-blind in a window that is crooked or damaged. Fix it, replace it, or take it down and use something that looks better.
People who park so close to you that it is almost impossible to get in and out of your car. I usually leave a preprinted note that says "Next time leave a *frigging* can opener on the hood so I can get into my car".
People with crying, screaming, disrespectful children in a

restaurant. Correct them, take them out, fix their problem. Shut them up. Reign them in.
A trash can that is running over. Trash cans fill up. Take them out. Please put in a clean trash bag.
People who eat, smoke, or drop trash in my car, or think nothing is wrong with any/all three. Just don't do it.
People who come to my house to sell me something uninvited. (Against the law some places.) I usually tell them "I know where stores are located" and shut the door on them. Same works with "I know where a church is located".
People who drive down my street with the "whumpa thumpa, boomba, woomba" of their radio playing loud enough to give them hearing problems. It rattles my nerves, but after all it IS their car, not mine.
Going into a store and NO ONE is in there. Like they went to lunch? What do I do just sit and wait or get what I need and plop the money for it on the counter? Stupid management!
New crap that breaks. (Common thing these days.) You buy something and when opening it from the "Adult safe Packaging" (another pet peeve), it is already broken somewhere, or leaks, or the battery case is sprung, etc etc. Imported junk.
Chairs that squeak, and the occupant seems to not notice it. Get some frigging oil. How hard is that?
Well these are but a few of mine. I will be interested in hearing yours, if you care to list some.

Rex

Post by Rex »

Sadly enough, I mirror you almost exactly. Another thing that bugs me is seeing everyone with bloody smartphones, or everyone with their cell phones constantly. I can't say I'm immune to it, either, sometimes just pretending to text, or going over notes on my dumbphone just so I don't have to twiddle my thumbs - more so due to sometimes forgetting to replace my current novel into my messenger bag or backpack. Most of the people who have smartphones, too, have no real need for them; that's part of the reason why I don't have one, myself, I have no need for one, nor do I have a need for an iPad, iPod, iToilet, iAnything. Admittedly, I will play with my friends' iPod Touches and the library's iPads, but that's just to get the "ooh, ahh" period out of my system; in actual use, I know I'd not get my money's worth out of them.
Likewise, it annoys me when people get new cars because of the "great" gas mileage in them. While a current Mini Cooper looks nice, my 2001 Honda Accord gets just as good gas mileage while being able to carry more stuff if need be - I've moved to and from university using my car alone.
Another one is in response to a rather recent "news article" explaining what technologies to keep or trash. I'm sorry, but a laptop cannot be upgraded nearly as easily as a desktop; I'm using a laptop now only because I've given my "old" desktop to my father so he can have another tower to do picture processing on. I plan on upgrading an old Windows 2000 tower we have in the basement over the summer, along with doing some major cleaning of said basement (and my own room), too.
Currently-made furniture is mostly made with cheap particle board, case in point, the three bookcases I have had for probably six years now; due to the cheap construction, they can't hold the books they were purchased to hold. My father and I are going to make some proper bookcases out of leftover reclaimed wood from a factory; I'm going to spend the ~$10 it'll cost for proper metal brackets, and I'm going to overbuild the capacity of the bookshelves a couple times over; durability doesn't have to cost large amounts of money, but crap shouldn't be sold as something "solid."
I'll think of other gripes later, most likely.

Robert Muir

Post by Robert Muir »

Cool! Parading our curmudgeonliness. :)
My pet peeve is people who complain about something they have control over, yet doing nothing about it.
A recent example was a Dear Abby letter (the column is next to my daily Sudoku puzzle) wherein a student complained that their father was currently unemployed, but might soon be employed at the state college. If the father did become so employed, the student would be required to go there since family of faculty had a 70% discount on tuition or something. The student didn't "like" the state college because it was perceived to be a "party" place. Wow. How 'bout getting a job and earning enough money to go to whatever college you want?

mikeBOS

Post by mikeBOS »

When people accelerate towards a red light just to have to slam on their brakes.
When people complain about not having any money and having to work too much as they sip a $5 latte, play with their $100/month cell phone and drive around in their late model, 14mpg behemoth.

Jackson

Post by Jackson »

Smokers.

AlexOliver

Post by AlexOliver »

Double parking, especially if it's a huge SUV, so I'll try to get as close as possible to prevent them from getting in their car. Karma.
People smoking while walking on campus. It's impossible not to get stuck behind them and it's just inconsiderate.
Tailgaters.
People from the HOA who feel the need to complain (to our faces and by writing letters to us) about our lack of maintenance on the yard. Hey, if it's such a problem for you, you're welcome to do it yourself or pay the landscapers. We won't stop you.
People complaining about "having" to go to college, without realizing they have the choice not to be there and are just wasting everybody's time.
Homophobic slurs such as, "That's gay," or "What a f**."
People who complain about being poor. I live in the suburbs, so most people my age don't have much spending money or a job, but have use of a car, food to eat, hot showers, a warm bed, etc. which I'd say is pretty rich.
Bringing up both politics and religion at every. possible. moment. Related: trying to start fights/arguments/debates.

B

Post by B »

I hate to admit it, but I also have pet peeves, but I try not to let them get to me. When I hear the pet peeves of others I often realize that some of them apply to me. For example, here're are some mentioned just in this thread:
1) Bringing up politics too often (Politics beats small talk)

2) Using a laptop (I value portability over modularity)

3) Complaining about something I can control (A crappy job is better than no job, quitting isn't a solution and commiseration can be helpful)
Despite my justifications, I know I have faults that seem completely trivial to me, but are extremely annoying to others. I try to keep that in mind when I start getting annoyed by others. Patience is a virtue, and also a skill (a good skill for a ERE lifestyle, btw).

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

In the cubicle farm:
An office-wide email arrives and an hour later there's one person who comes out of a meeting, sits down, reads the email ALOUD for their own benefit, and then immediately aays, "Hey, take a look at this email!"... yeah, we already did... an hour ago... and then again when you read it aloud.
The junior team member who asks for advice, doesn't like the correct answer you give them, and then goes and asks another senior member the same question, gets the same advice, and still doesn't like it. They then work their problem another way, arrive at a dead-end, and finally take your advice -OR- pass the problem up the chain to you because they still don't believe/understand the advice given to them.
Drivers who won't accelerate to freeway speed on the on-ramp before merging.

Rex

Post by Rex »

Wow, how could I forget inconsiderate smokers - even those who aren't smoking on the bus, but still reek of smoke, nonetheless - and poor drivers?
B: I'm not saying laptop users are a pet peeve, I use one myself, it's just that the news article vouched for ditching your desktop computer entirely; it even went on to say that if you missed the desktop experience, you could always get an external monitor, keyboard, and mouse, though. How the frack is that different from just getting a desktop at that point? Especially if the "laptop" is a fifteen to seventeen inch behemoth? At that point, the portability of a laptop is lost, and you might as well spend less on a comparable desktop.
In regard to my statement of Apple products, though, I must say I love the near lack of cables, but on the other hand, the technology is behind on most of their computers, compared to PCs, and priced higher for brand name. :/

Chad

Post by Chad »

People who don't use turn signals. So easy. Yet, most people seem to struggle.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Using the word awesome to describe everything from Grand Canyon to a picture of your cell phone. Also the random use of words like extraordinary, ridiculous, and made up words starting with un-

aquadump

Post by aquadump »

Tardiness or excessive flaking.
Sidewalk and bikeway moving walls.

Marius

Post by Marius »

Smokers. (hi Jackson)
Noisy children. (hi Hspencer)
Furniture made from cheap particle board. (hi Rex)
People driving slowly in the fast lane.
People whose conversations ALWAYS consist of a series of complaints. (not you guys)
Kids who scream just for the hell of it or pretend to fight. I'd like to use my time and energy for something else than figuring out whether they need help or not.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Broken/unadjusted sprinkler systems that water the sidewalks. Bonus points if the sprinkler system is on during or shortly after a rain.

Mo

Post by Mo »

Improperly kept pets/animals, e.g. the free roaming animal, the constantly barking dog, the animal that gets free and attacks someone, even the dog not on the leash.
Not only the stench from smokers, but the littering of cigarette butts-- why are we to consider that as acceptable?

S

Post by S »

Dogs that haven't been trained not to jump on people. I can't count the number of times I've had a big dog "just being friendly" that smeared mud on me. Aren't these people concerned about their dog knocking over kids or old people? This should be a no-brainer, right?! Also, dogs on the furniture or in the bed. I love dogs, just not poorly trained ones.
Same thing with kids, please teach them some basic manners. I understand children aren't always reasonable, but if they're having a temper tantrum can you at least deal with it outside?
And yeah, smoking is gross. Please keep it at home.

Freedom_2018

Post by Freedom_2018 »

"Your" in place of " you are".
Not using turn signals.
Cagers not watching out for cyclists and motorcyclists.
Motorcyclists with extra loud pipes.
Folks who are drunk on the company kool-aid
Watching grown up adults shop in grocery stores with their carts full of processed food and sports drinks - not one damn green vegetable to be seen.
Spending too much time online reading blogs ;-)

HSpencer

Post by HSpencer »

Seems the onus is on smokers, noisy kids, obstinate drivers, and abuse of the English language. I can fix part of it.
"Nice" can substitute for "awesome"
We could use the word "average" a lot.
I was going to suggest "unremarkable" but it is an "un" word although not a made up one.
I personally have been trying not to use the word "that" in abusive manner.
My high school English Teacher, Mrs Barlow, would be proud of us all.
@Freedom---Ewe'r right!!

Robert Muir

Post by Robert Muir »

Sorry AlexOliver, I have to call you out. ;) Choosing to buy a house with an evil HOA (IMO all HOAs are evil), agreeing to said HOA rules upon said purchasing, then complaining about the HOA rules after the house has been purchased. This is sane how?
Likewise, everyone knows it rains a lot in the Northwest. In fact, our nickname for it is the great NorthWET. So they move here and what do they talk about? How much they wish the rain would stop and the sun would come out. It's like moving to Las Vegas and complaining about how hot it gets in the Summer.
Another pet peeve of mine is that a stock always, and I mean ALWAYS, goes down after I purchase it.

HSpencer

Post by HSpencer »

@Robert
Since you brought up HOA's (Home Owner's Associations) I must add that I never really fully understood about those. To me, being an apartment owner/manager for a small while, I can get to some reasoning on rules, but the term "home owner" does not reflect a situation where one could be dictated to on anything.

My understanding of a home owner's association's purpose in life goes something like this:
"We" have this plot of land, where "we" have our grouping of homes. "We" have a nice place here and "we" like it fine to be looking real good all the time. (Their mission statement).
Now, whereas the above, "we" know that invariably, some kinds of scum and riff raff will be moving in here, live like pigs, and trash our area.
Therefore, "we" form an association of the elite, for the dictation of our will to the lessers. Heretofore, "we" will make copious inspections of all of our area, and threaten, fine, or otherwise punish said riff raff and peasants who break any/all of our covenants.
Heaven help any/all who go against us on items such as cheap metal swing sets in lieu of expensive wooden ones, failure to keep our mowing schedules, parking in unauthorized anywheres, or violating our outside dress code.
Be Warned. Remember, yes it is your money that bought the house and lot. Yes, it makes no difference, your going to comply or be put upon smartly.
Is that an HOA?
@Marius
Agreed in full. Those who cannot utter one word without it being whinning, bitching, griping, moaning, rehashing, and bringing back up the past, and in general depressive redundancy in each conversation. And those who won't live by fix it or forget it. (or easy to remember--FIDO. The last two letters of FIDO are "drive on". I will leave the reader to figure out what FI means.)