"War of Art"

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
zbigi

"War of Art"

Post by zbigi »

I'm just finishing reading "War of Art", by Steven Pressfield. I'd be glad to hear what others who have read it think about it.
To me, the message contained is so negative that the book is basically an argument AGAINST pursuing art, or anything ambitious for that matter. The author's struggles and challenges in the pursuit of art have arguably broken his life (e.g. the love of his life divorced him over his failed attempts to be a writer). His message is to basically "love the misery". To me, that's basically masochism and an antithesis of a healthy life philosophy. It's interesting that the book is so popular - perhaps it's because "loving the misery" is a core part of protestant work ethic that still (to some degree) dominates most of the rich countries.
In my opinion, this book is a good read to anyone bored with their cushy and well-paying corporate position. If you want to quit and try something ambitious and independent instead, give it a read. It may make you think twice - it has done that for me.

Smashter

Re: "War of Art"

Post by Smashter »

I haven't read it, but I just heard the author on a a podcast. I was surprised at how confidently he expressed some pretty unusual world views. For example:
  • he literally believes in artistic muses that only allow you to do good work after you've tried and failed for long enough
  • he literally believes there are invisible, devil-like creatures existing alongside us
  • he has a very strong sense of fate over free will -- he mentioned multiple times how Bruce Springsteen couldn't have done anything other than create the albums he did. The idea being each person has a destiny of sorts that they are unlocking. Yet it's impossible to discern this destiny. He said he could not have predicted what books he'd write and has no idea what he'll write next.
  • he believes in a form of reincarnation
I was left thinking he was a quirky guy with some far-out ideas and a strong work ethic, not a writing master who has unlocked the secrets of being creative and productive.

ducknald_don

Post by ducknald_don »

I didn't like it, I found nothing actionable in it. I'm always surprised it gets recommended so much,

AxelHeyst

Post by AxelHeyst »

I liked it. I found it helpful in how it told a story about Resistance being an actual force. Instead of beating myself up for being lazy or whatever, it’s helped me to see procrastination and excuses as a sign that I’m actually going in the right direction. I like the idea that this thing Resistance doesn’t give a shit if I’m doing something that’s not my Purpose, but it does care (and will fight against) if I’m doing my Purpose. So now, when I see myself procrastinating or making excuses, I consider that that might be a sign that I’m actually on the right path.

I can see how someone would get “you must love misery” out of the book, but I didn’t. To me, the story is that the pain of procrastination and regret over not producing what he believed himself capable of was greater than the pain of Doing the Work and Turning Pro. I respect that. I also respect/am attracted to eccentricity and extreme viewpoints (cough cough), so while I see how Pressfield isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, I’m glad his books exist.

I neither know nor care if the author believes in actual devil-beings. To me they are stories that are useful. They are not the only stories about creative work that I have incorporated into my worldview - I have many other stories I reference that balance the War of Art - but for me, I’ve found a certain amount of comfort and usefulness from the book. I know many actual artists who got a lot of value out of the book as well.

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

zbigi wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:59 am
I'm just finishing reading "War of Art", by Steven Pressfield. I'd be glad to hear what others who have read it think about it.
To me, the message contained is so negative that the book is basically an argument AGAINST pursuing art, or anything ambitious for that matter. The author's struggles and challenges in the pursuit of art have arguably broken his life (e.g. the love of his life divorced him over his failed attempts to be a writer). His message is to basically "love the misery". To me, that's basically masochism and an antithesis of a healthy life philosophy. It's interesting that the book is so popular - perhaps it's because "loving the misery" is a core part of protestant work ethic that still (to some degree) dominates most of the rich countries.
In my opinion, this book is a good read to anyone bored with their cushy and well-paying corporate position. If you want to quit and try something ambitious and independent instead, give it a read. It may make you think twice - it has done that for me.
people who can art/write art and write and make decent commissions. people who can't write make books telling others about what an uphill struggle it is.

i guess that book might speak to this tendency people have to see art as something that is easy and carefree and that will just flow and whatever. people idealize what it's like to do art and have to rely on it for a living. could be the book is partially speaking to discourage those people by giving a picture of the hardships

i think many people in the western world (unsure about elsewhere) get off on how hard it is. it's the martyr fantasy at work - you are special and refined and you deserve because you Suffer. also, being told how hard it is might make them feel special, like they belong to this exclusive club with only the Most Deserving, a.k.a. those willing to suffer. You see this in corporate culture, too: "if you aren't willing to prove yourself by jumping X hoops this job isn't for you!" Also, suffering makes you deep, you know. There's a reason why the tortured artist is such a common trope so many people act out. Plus! You can look down on those who have it easier!--or you can console yourself that you aren't a mediocre loser by embracing how much you suffer.