What are you eating today? Cooking inspiration!

Simple living, extreme early retirement, being wealthy, ...
Alphaville

Re: What are you eating today? Cooking inspiration!

Post by Alphaville »

monday i cooked black beans, a pile of quinoa, and a pot of kale

kale is awful, but i had some in the freezer and wanted to get rid of it...

so i took out my leftover bones and scraps from the feezer and made a stock. then i cooked the greens in some of that stock for a long time in the slow cooker. that made the kale edible. appetizing i mean.

the quinoa i just toasted in the pan before adding water, unseasoned (except for salt). i use it as a rice replacement with the beans and greens. i also use it as a cereal- yesterday ate it hot with peanut butter and blueberries it was good! also had it with fried eggs. could season 10,000 different ways.

dessert tonight was a slice of goat cheesee with a few roasted almonds, a squirt of honey, and a fat pinch of cinnamon sprinkled on top. fast and easy and great tasting.

chased it down with a glass of cold unsweetened rooibos. we brew a pot weekly and keep a few swing top bottles in the refrigerator to drink mostly in the evening.

horsewoman

Post by horsewoman »

Kale is not awful :) there is a curly cale lasagna in my oven right now, one of my favourite dishes!
Our garden is overflowing with kale right now so this will be a regular dish the next few weeks.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

horsewoman wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:54 am
Kale is not awful :) there is a curly cale lasagna in my oven right now, one of my favourite dishes!
hahaha. well not awful like, say, margarine (now that’s a truly awful thing). but kale is so damn chewy, it’s like homework. i much prefer spinach, or chard. given a choice of kale i prefer dino kale (lacinato), which is more delicate, tastes better, but can be hard to find.

i guess having your own garden you can choose what to pick for tenderness. the stuff i’ve been finding was quite hard...

flavorwise the best kale combo for me is with soy sauce. makes it almost “meaty”. haven’t tried in lasagna. we’re talking regular lasagna or something else?

but i said awful i think just so i remember to give up on buying it. needed to construct it as a binary choice. no more “maybe i could...” at the store :D

basuragomi

Post by basuragomi »

Kale pesto is my preferred way to have it. Stick the leaves in a food processor instead of basil and add the usual pesto ingredients.

horsewoman

Post by horsewoman »

Alphaville wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:54 am

we’re talking regular lasagna or something else?
Vegetarian lasagna - tomato sauce with lentils in layers with kale and pasta sheets, baked with cheese on top.

I cut the kale in small pieces with scissors and boil it for a short time in a pot of water before layering it in the dish. The lasagna is baked for 50 minutes, and afterwards the kale is not very chewy, at least to me!

EdithKeeler

Post by EdithKeeler »

Making enchiladas. These ones, but with cheese--I highly recommend. Her enchilada sauce is easy and way way better than buying prepared.
https://www.budgetbytes.com/snap-challe ... nchiladas/