Moving overseas

Simple living, extreme early retirement, being wealthy, ...
jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 73

Re: Moving overseas

Post by jacob » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:41 am

@chenda - It's listed because it's as far south as Australians can go before running out of land lest they go to NZ---not because it's particularly good.

chenda

Post by chenda » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:14 am

@jacob, right, although that 4 degree map which was circulating gave it a reassuring green colour.

thrifty++

Post by thrifty++ » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:49 pm

I feel like Australia is going to be massively affected by climate change. There has again been some nasty bush fires raging recently.

One of the reasons I haven't wanted to move there is that I can't handle the heat. I used to like visiting Australia but when I have visited in the last few years I have found the heat just way too intense. 41 degrees and high humidity etc. Some people like that heat, but personally its just way too much. I think on one day Sydney got to 47 degrees and high humidity and the road was melting.

Australia of the future makes me think of Mad Max.

chenda

Post by chenda » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:49 pm

Yes Australia is definitely not where I'd want to be long term. It faces huge national security challenges as well. Too few people defending far too much land. The long feared 'invasion from the north' has already begun.

thrifty++

Post by thrifty++ » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:39 pm

@chenda - highly topical item in the news today https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/a ... d=12290434

Solvent

Post by Solvent » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:24 am

The 'invasion from the north' has begun? Wow. I bet there's a real strong argument behind that. Or a pissweak definition of 'invasion'?

Also, I have trouble believing that people's assessments of where to live based on climate change are quite so serious. Yeah, I know climate change is happening, and living in Australia will become more challenging. But citing projections of what will happen in 2100 misses the mark for me. It's not that I don't care, but I'll be long dead by 2100. My kids will probably be getting close to their ends as well. I'm not basing my choice of where to live right now on projections of 2100.

chenda

Post by chenda » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:51 am

@thrifty++ interesting to read

@solvent - It was a historic term which has been used to reflect long standing national security concerns in Australia going back to WW2. Its tiny population of a few million people left it almost defenceless in the face of Japanese encroachment. 'Populate or perish' was the slogan after WW2, when it desperately sought to boost its population to a level where is could defend itself. People in Britain were given incentives to migrate out there. 200 million Indonesians to the north in a unstable dictatorship was always a concern. Not bashing Indonesia, its just a geo-political reality which Australia has had to live with. Per-capita, Australia is one of the worlds biggest defence spenders. And yes, there was also an openly racial policy to 'Keep Australia white' which feed into these fears. Don't know if you live there so maybe you already are aware of this history. But anyway, what I was referring to was more climate change refugees heading south and the long term threats of climate change to Australia, which is likely to be a ever growing issue.