Microgreens and Health

Simple living, extreme early retirement, being wealthy, ...
sky

Re: Microgreens and Health

Post by sky » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:52 am

$1 per Day for Microgreen Superfood

https://www.youtube.com/edit?ar=1&o=U&v ... xdWMu-Zwpc

If I can learn to compost the potting soil and reuse it, I should be able to get the cost down to $0.50 per day for about 130 grams per day of a microgreen mix which is designed to have the highest amount of nutrition possible.

Augustus

Post by Augustus » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:06 pm

I stumbled across the rhonda patrick video regarding broccoli sprouts yesterday and ordered some seeds and mason jar sprouting lids, since I already have a ton of mason jars for various vacuum sealing. I'm planning to sprout them in jars and freeze them, I was reading that freezing causes more Sulforaphane to be available. Any reason not to just use mason jars and sprouting lids? Seems easier, I can just bleach the jars and throw them in the dish washer afterwards. Freezing makes a ton of sense too. I think I may use a muffin tin and try to make "pucks" out of various greens, as I generally do most of my veggies in green smoothies, then you just grab a puck or two per smoothie and it's quick and easy.

I'm looking for foods that have an impact on longevity, I'll check out the USDA link, anyone have a list of microgreens they recommend as far as health and longevity goes? patrick seems to think broccoli sprouts will help you live healthier and longer.

Edit: been reading for hours, the worst part about health food is the plethora of bad advice. From what I can tell, sunflower seeds and broccoli seeds are definitely winners. I'm thinking about also picking up peas and watercress for sprouting.

Seems like jars work fine, I like this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2CJD8KZa9A

I am somewhat concerned about bacteria and mold though. dr patrick indicates that heating sprouts to 70C for 10 minutes will increase Sulforaphane, it would also kill a lot of bacteria.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:55 am

I stay away from sprouts because of the potential issues. I'm not meticulous enough to attempt them safely. I stick to microgreens. I like them better anyway and they don't mind a little neglect.

sky

Post by sky » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:13 am

Freezing sounds like a good idea, it should preserve nutrients. I have a dehydrater, and dried a Wellness Mix batch, but the sunflowers did not dry as quickly as the broccoli and radish. Next time I will dry only the broccoli. My goal is to create a powder which can be put into capsules. Drying may decrease the amount of nutrients, I don't know for sure.

I prefer fresh but would like to have a supply for travelling.

Augustus

Post by Augustus » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:18 pm

Re: bacteria and mold, I dig up this old spinach PSA:
A. The FDA currently recommends that the public not consume fresh (uncooked) spinach or salad blends containing fresh spinach. However, E. coli O157:H7 in spinach can be killed by cooking at 160 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 seconds.
Heating to 160 also increases Sulforaphane, so it seems like a win win. I started my first batch of broccoli sprouts in a jar this morning, when ready I'll heat up a pot of water and use a thermometer to see when it hits 160F/70C and then drop my usual spinach/kale/chard in there along with the sprouts, then pop them in a muffin tin and freeze to make the "pucks". Also ordered peas and sunflower seeds, will probably add cress as well. I think that will boost my smoothie nutrition by a big amount.