The coffee problem

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
FrugalPatat

The coffee problem

Post by FrugalPatat »

Every day when I go to work I bring my own coffee, which lasts until noon. In the afternoon I buy a cup of nespresso et work, which costs half a euro. I don't want to drink the free instant coffee, neither do I want to drink the instant coffee I can buy at the store. Instant coffee makes me feel bad.

So I was looking for a way to make my own coffee at work. I can get warm water for free so I figured I could just buy a metal reusable filter and put that on top of my cup. But I was wondering if anybody had an even cheaper solution. I read about people using a sock; I could use that but it would be maybe too weird to use that at work, although I could try making something so that it doesn't resemble a sock anymore. I am also wondering if I can keep reusing this sock indefinitely or if there are any health concerns given those socks are not white.

Anyone made their own coffeefilter? Or how do you minimize your coffee cost?

chenda

Re: The coffee problem

Post by chenda »

Use a flask.

FrugalPatat

Post by FrugalPatat »

That's what I bring in the morning. It lasts until noon.

Buying a bigger flask (and better insulated) would be 'expensive'. And the machine for making coffee I have at home is too small; it makes just enough for my current flask. So a bigger flask would imply making coffee twice.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Paper towel is the same paper as coffee filters, so if there are free (to you) paper towels at work, you can make your own filter (instructions on the internet). You'd still need a holder for the filter lest it turn into a mess (you can try to hold it with your hands). I did that for a couple of days and then folded and bought a Swiss Gold filter. I've had that since 2009 or so.

FrugalPatat

Post by FrugalPatat »

Only toilet paper.

Or a sock of mine.

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

A stainless steel (cafetiere) coffee press will have a manufactured reusable filter and the container will be more durable than the glass kind, which I have on occasions smashed whilst cleaning. The major downside to these filters is they wear over time and the seal between the press and glass is compromised, resulting in some grains making their way into the poured coffee, so unbleached paper filter methods might be preferable.

If you don't care about social stigma, I imagine socks would still be problematic if you are using a finer grind of coffee. Also they will need to be washed frequently because the coffee oils would accumulate, turn rancid and taint your fresh brews. A proper reusable filter, whilst slightly more expensive, if cared for will provide superior brews.

Toilet paper is likely bleached and too soft, you don't want to use to that to filter coffee if you consider yourself a connoisseur.

chenda

Post by chenda »

I used to use a cafetiere at work actually, worked well until it smashed.
Last edited by chenda on Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Instead of trying to make a strainer, make a homemade French Pull for your mug instead.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

Cold brew?

Maybe have tea in the afternoon?

C40

Post by C40 »

Are you drinking coffee all day because you're addicted to caffeine? If so, cycle off caffeine entirely for 3 weeks. (if you really need to, taper down and then do 2-3 weeks with zero).

Then your afternoon coffee problem is gone entirely.

Widee67

Post by Widee67 »

you can use a new swaddling clothe or the ones that baby uses since they are fine cloth.

tommytebco

Post by tommytebco »

I have a small tea strainer
https://www.englishteastore.com/keteast ... HIQAvD_BwE
like this one.
I brew the coffee in one cup and strain into the other

tommytebco

Post by tommytebco »

Truth be told, after using the above for a while,I bought a cheap Mr Coffee french press which I have used for the last several years (about three coffee cups per batch)

FrugalPatat

Post by FrugalPatat »

I made coffee this morning with nothing but a handkerchief. It's drinkable, but the coffee has less taste. So it's kind of a waste.

I decided to just buy caffeine pills for the afternoon. They cost less than 4 cents a piece.

fingeek

Post by fingeek »

Take a flask of espresso, and mix with hot water. That should make 8+ cups, and presumably that's enough for the day?

I came off caffeine about 6 months ago and its been a good move. Caffeine no longer had a positive impact on alertness, but I still had the downsides (mood, jitters, etc). I now drink (homemade) black decaffe americano for taste only. Might be worth a go, if you find yourself reliant on caffeine - Which I'd humbly suggest might be the case if you're opting for caffeine tablets.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

it's not a problem. brute can stop any time.

literally drinking coffee right now.

JamesR

Post by JamesR »

Train yourself to drink your day's worth of coffee in one sitting, before you go to work. Skip drinking coffee at work at all. Sell your flask and you'll be ahead of the game!

*warning, you might need to time your bathroom visit properly so that it doesn't hit during the commute.

SavingWithBabies

Post by SavingWithBabies »

@FrugalPatat You might try the AeroPress. It's reasonably affordable (about $25-30), comes with all the needed bits and you can order it with extra filters included, etc. It makes a cup of coffee that is half way between expresso and regular coffee. You can dilute it or drink it as is. The filters are very tough -- they are disposable however one of my former co-workers was fond of trying to reuse them as much as possible. I think he got 50+ uses at least out of them until they would blow out. As to the taste of the coffee, you really need to try it to see. I personally like drip better however in a pinch, the AeroPress works.

The other option would be just to get a drip coffee filter like the Kalita Wave 155. It would work with the inexpensive coffee filters mentioned below. It comes in glass or metal. For office use, I'd opt for the metal. There are an astounding array of other options though.

Then you need beans. Maybe you can pregrind at home and bring them in or buy ground coffee?

Cheap Coffee Filters

I haven't tried @jacob's tip about paper towels but for those of us who work at home (and have to pay for paper towels) or don't have paper towels at work, I found the local dollar store (Dollar Tree in this case) happens to sell packages of 150 generic filters for $1. For a long time, the filters for the brand of coffee dripper I was using were on Amazon but there is some shortage or disruption (plus I've quit Prime). So then it was on to eBay with direct shipment from Japan but this was getting silly. The generic filters seem to be fine so far and cost about 1/15 to 1/30 of the price. I do have to reshape them to match my dripper but that was easy with some other coffee paraphernalia I had lying around (the funnel that comes with an AeroPress is just about right).

https://www.dollartree.com/Fresh-Cup-Pa ... /index.pro
Last edited by SavingWithBabies on Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Campitor

Post by Campitor »

Can you make this or something similar? https://youtu.be/Nev4wcZ_fTg

BWND

Post by BWND »

SavingWithBabies wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:05 pm
@FrugalPatat You might try the AeroPress. It's reasonably affordable (about $25-30), comes with all the needed bits and you can order it with extra filters included, etc. It makes a cup of coffee that is half way between expresso and regular coffee.
Aeropresser here. I did have it in work for a while but it got to be too much hassle (too many separate bits!). A cafetiere filled and brought back to the desk was the solution (I do actually prefer the aeropress coffee). The metal filter is good. There are all sorts of bearded hipsters online demonstrating their 'recipes' too, which can be fun for a while. (What's your bloom time? :lol: )
Are you drinking coffee all day because you're addicted to caffeine? If so, cycle off caffeine entirely for 3 weeks. (if you really need to, taper down and then do 2-3 weeks with zero).

Then your afternoon coffee problem is gone entirely.
That was kind of my solution in the end. I just stopped making it in work. Thermal mug in the morning. A treat to look forward to on getting home.