Fixit Log

What skills to learn, what tools to get
Sclass

Re: Fixit Log

Post by Sclass »

Welcome @CDR! Good to hear you saved some stuff and some money.

My iphone 6s failed to charge and i did some youtubing. Apparently something called the Tristar chip goes out. No idea what it does. But my phone has the symptoms of a bad Tristar chip. Bought a few on ebay for $3 each. I decided to solder them on. Used my cheap Chinese $39 hot air workstation. This is becoming a useful skill to pick up given all the SMT stuff we use and break. The sizes and skills look intimidating but it isn't as hard as it looks. I learned from a bunch of high school educated techs that I employed years ago. They didn't know anything about electronic design...just how to place chips and solder them with hot air. So just like me really, I looked at YouTube, figured out which chip needed replacement, then soldered it in. Boom, new Tristar chip. No rocket science required.

Dead phone and basic tools. I've been saving those magnetic business cards for this. You'll see why.

Open the phone, theres the battery I replaced in a prior post. Got to get the Mother Board out.

Pull all the little screws and connectors. Put the screws and EMI shields on the magnetic business cards in the orientation they came out so I can remember how to reassemble. I do it like this so I don't lose screws and they cannot roll away. This is a trick from ifixit

Motherboard out and ready for surgery. I've spotted the chip, about 2x2mm square. Just heat and pick off with tweezers under magnification.

Now you see it
Now you don't

Dead chip
Repaired board ready to go back into phone

This kind of repair can be performed at your average phone repair shop. This isn't brain surgery and can be done at home with about $50 worth of tools and some skills picked up on Youtube.

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

Fixed another sonicaire toothbrush. This time my wife said hers wasn’t taking a charge. Indeed it wasn’t. Went in like I did with the old one on a prior post to this thread. (Old photo)

Slice around the notch with an Xacto knife. Split apart. I found a battery tab fatigued off. Just a tiny crack. Makes sense, this thing vibrates a lot and eventually broke off the metal tab. Soldered the gap and boom. It’s fixed. Silicone sealed the two halves back together with leftover bathroom silicone. It was all plugged and dried but I managed to cut open the tube and get enough out of the remainder to seal up the brush handle.

Forgot to mention that this toothbrush handle is really old. Amazing it still works. I think we bought them in 2007.

CDR

Post by CDR »

Thank you @Sclass! Glad to be here, and fixing things (or at least, trying to!)

DW had an old, very broken laptop lying around. So yesterday, instead of going to bed, I took DW's old laptop downstairs. I previously identified that something was wrong with the charger, but felt it wasn't worth the cost of replacement. The digitizer is already cracked. Additionally, it needs a new HDD, and the HDD is a special one.

However, I realized I could try to open up the charger and fix the broken part. When I cut open the charger near the part that plugs into the laptop, I found that the outer wire had a broken connection. For whatever reason however, I at first thought I had cut too deep. However, after messing around with it for around 4 HOURS! I just soldered the outer wires back together and it was working again.

I don't have a picture of the WIP, but here is a very low quality picture of what it looked like after fixing it and wrapping it in electrical tape.

After testing it out, it was working, but the connection was still unreliable. I eventually figured out it was the charging port itself. One of the wires broke off the back of the port, beneath the shrink wrap.

I went to the store today after work and grabbed some solder wick and heat shrink wrap. It took me 20-30 minutes of struggling to tin some new wire, solder it to the broken end of the old one, put the heat shrink wrap on, and then solder the other end to the charging port.

Here's a picture of the completed job, my work is the exposed (silver) wire and connection.

Note that other than the desoldering I did on the weekend, I have no other experience with soldering, I didn't think I would be able to deploy this skill so quickly, even if it was difficult to do.

I plugged it all back it and everything was working! Victory was within my grasp. Then I used my multimeter on the wrong pins on the plug of the charging port. This caused a short and ruined the plug itself. The laptop can no longer charge. I don't think I have any hope of finding the correct replacement plug, or have the tools to fix it even if I did.

I guess this is suppose to be a fix it log, but I thought I would share this experience here anyways. While I was a bit miffed with myself at first, It's a few hours later and I'm pretty much over it now. I also find it ironic that after doing all this soldering and cutting, I managed to ruin it with a multimeter!

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

We publish negative results here. :D Keep fighting.