[Intermediate] Plumbing book

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

[Intermediate] Plumbing book

Post by jacob »

I want to know if there's a plumbing book that's Dreyfus level 3+ or thereabouts. I'm not looking for simple context-free step-by-step home owner's guide because these usually cease up once the territory no longer match the instructions (I live in an old house).

For example, I'm looking for the run-down explanation of: the matrix of joining abs/pvc/pex/copper/iron/still with abs/pvc/...; the various fittings, flange, lock nut, gasket, etc.; best practices(*) for running lines e.g. water supply, bathroom sink, kitchen sink, random sink, toilet, ...; and most importantly ideas for fixing snafus.

(*) E.g. don't put this with that or after/before this.

It would unfortunately seem like this knowledge is experiential in the sense that if you ask three random pros, you often get three different answers; but surely there's something in between a 500 page plumbing code manual and the picture-heavy home-owner guides.

jacob
Site Admin

Re: [Intermediate] Plumbing book

Post by jacob »

Cool. What's the title? I might be able to source it from the lib.

My two problems are usually:
1) Eventually having to connect to whatever is already in the walls. (Here, iron and galvanized steel).
2) Having to start from some vintage sink/faucet/... I picked up somewhere for free.

But more accurately that I don't know the principles well enough improvise correctly, so I end up with too much trial and error + piecing together various opinions to arrive at something that "makes sense".

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

What ffj said. I had 100 years of mish-mash plumbing in my old house, and trying to podge forward from old galvanized is like a heart surgeon trying to make do with the arteries of a 67 year old angry couch-potato burger and donut eater while attempting a bypass. I did most of the work (replaced toilets, all plumbing in one bath, etc.) myself, and occasionally hired a handyman guy with better tools to help with major clogs, because the professionals weren't about to deal with that mess for what I was willing to shell out. I am vaguely picturing a book from the 1970s that might suit your purposes if it weren't for the fact that there have been many innovations in terms of what's available in plumbing supplies since then. Best bet would likely be some combination of YouTube and friendly, knowledgeable old guy at well-stocked local hardware store.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

I "fixed" the ABS slip nut on the J-bend to the galvanized steel elbow(*) by "cheating" and covering the threads + nut (top and bottom) with silicone caulk---as recommended by the plumber---and letting it dry for 24 hrs. So far so good. Only problem is that the trap can not be removed now in case it's ever needed ... but for that there are augers.

(*) The joint is part of the trap and thus continuously under about 1" of water [in the trap].

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Yeah, the other suggestion was cutting off the steel elbow and just leaving the unthreaded steel pipe sticking out of the wall. Then use a fernco/rubber coupling.