Anyone looked into aeroponics?

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
conwy

Anyone looked into aeroponics?

Post by conwy »

Definition: A technique for growing plants without soil or hydroponic media. The plants are held above a system that constantly mists the roots with nutrient-laden water.

As crazy as it may sound, it looks to be indeed possible to grow vegetables/fruits with only mists of water.

Found a pair of videos on YouTube demonstrating a pretty low-cost setup of plants growing in PVC elbows sticking out of holes drilled in a plastic barrel, with water periodically sprayed through a hose, controlled with a water timer.

I'm considering eventually building one of these myself. Perhaps it could even be powered by a solar pump, to be totally off the grid.

One downside is that it seems to require prepackaged nutrients that are dissolved into the water. Whereas I would prefer a somewhat more closed, self-sustaining system that doesn't depend on externally manufactured and possible costly delivery of nutrients.

Any general thoughts?

jennypenny

Re: Anyone looked into aeroponics?

Post by jennypenny »

I've only seen it done in a large greenhouse.

Here you can see the roots of the plants hanging down. They were on a track and circulated through a mister that looked like a small plastic shower (sorry, no picture of that part).

Image Image

Here are some plant towers without the roots exposed who also rotated through misters on tracks.

Image Image

ThisDinosaur

Re: Anyone looked into aeroponics?

Post by ThisDinosaur »

I looked into it. Appears to be more work and more expensive than old fashioned potting soil.