Making my own rehab shoe insole

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
Stahlmann

Making my own rehab shoe insole

Post by Stahlmann »

I received 2 pairs in my life of these:

https://i.imgur.com/i41fyam.jpg

They cost 270 PLN/pair. There is no way I'll pay for it with my current earnings.

It's possible to buy pair of [very similar rehab] insole [main part] for 30 or 60 PLN and I know where I should glue pads. I haven't healed totally problems discussed with the guy.

I am looking for:
1. Good glue brand/name for active ingredient (but the guy who made these shoes probably used heat treatment to connect these pieces). This is not "60 sec glue".
2. Name of the pads/how can I get them in retailer amount.

I haven't asked the "shoe maker"/seller for the answer.
Do you use this "direct" method in acquiring DIY skills? People don't react good to "tell me in 10 minutes your all secrets"...

PS. Yep, exercises for flat foot are free.
PSS. But I also wear almost all day my shoes.

BRUTE

Re: Making my own rehab shoe insole

Post by BRUTE »

has Stahlmann tried walking barefoot for a few months straight, or using barefoot-style shoes? there are legitimate cases of humans requiring insoles but they're rare. most humans simply have atrophied foot muscles from lack of use due to life long use of soft shoes.

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

@BRUTE This the time when Stahlmann asks for elaboration :P

Up this moment:
1) Met few bare-foot followers. Didn't undertstood the hype.
2) Guys who sell shoes don't recommend bare foot life.

:?

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

1)humans walk around all their life in soft shoes without exposing their foot muscles to any tension
2)foot muscles atrophy and arch sinks down, looking like flat foot
3)humans use more padding and softness

if this is the case, the remedy is walking around barefoot or in no-support shoes. vibram five fingers come to mind.
the hype is that walking barefoot can help develop foot muscles and build up arches, if muscle atrophy was the original reason for flat footedness.

there are some actual cases of flat footedness, but they are very rare, afabk.

brute does not know how to tell the difference.

brute recommends searching for "barefoot walking" and trying it.

Smashter

Post by Smashter »

I've had a lot of success fixing up foot / ankle issues using barefoot walking and minimalist shoes. I like to wear vibram five fingers from time to time, but be prepared for a lot of weird looks if you do.

Another key for me was realizing that I have very, very wide feet. I learned that there are shoes that will accommodate my fat hobbit feet, and I don't need to settle for jamming them into narrow shoes. It's disheartening that it took me as long as it did to make that breakthrough.

You can check out some of Katy Bowman's work for a ton more info on why modern shoes might be causing you issues.

Also, the people who make money from selling shoes have a strong incentive to be negative about barefoot walking :D
Last edited by Smashter on Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

SavingWithBabies

Post by SavingWithBabies »

I don't know if they sell this glue where you are but E6000 adhesive glue has worked well for me for shoe repairs. It stays a little bit flexible but holds well. I used it in the past to glue separating sole from shoe. It lasted until the shoes wore out. I would expect similar glue available locally to you.

http://eclecticproducts.com/products/e6 ... craft.html

I also used it on my wife's expensive indoor slippers. It worked well for that however the felt wore out so they had to be replaced after a couple more months. On a side note, using felt for a sole seems like a good plan for the slipper manufacturer. I should have glued on something stronger. But the new slippers have rubber bottom.