Watch back opening

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Watch back opening

Post by jacob »

I have acquired a watch from MIL's storage unit. Usually watch backs are either screws, screw-off, or snap-off. This one looks like a snap-off, but I see no indent anywhere along the rim to get the knife under. Also, it's near impossible to get to the pins on the rubber wristband, so I'm thinking I'm maybe dealing with a watch that's intended to be disposable.

Before, I use force and wreck something, I wanted to ask if I'm missing something?

finity

Re: Watch back opening

Post by finity »

You could try to push one or two single edge razor blades down the sides of the watch. Watch your fingers, obviously :lol:

Campitor

Post by Campitor »

@Jacob

Does the watch back look similar to the watch in the following video? I think it may be a snap off back by your description. The clip explains how to take it off and shows the tool that is used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FNFNxctYAQ

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

@finity - Will try.

@Campitor - Usually snap offs have a little indent (like in that video) to stick the knife into to lever/pry it off, but this watch does not.

Campitor

Post by Campitor »

@Jacob

Any chance of posting a picture of the watch back or posting a link to the watch model? I've tinkered with my own watches on occasion - I use my laptop/computer tools to do it with. I've replaced my own batteries and extended/shortened/replaced my own wristbands. But I've only owned the popular US models: Timex, Seiko, Casio, Bulova, etc.

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

Picture? I am a member of a watch forum with a few very knowledgeable guys and I may ask over there.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

It's a Catena with complications (moon phase, month, day). I'll try to post a picture if the razor blade approach doesn't work. So far I've been able to get into snap off [with indents] with a regular knife. This one shows no indications or "doorways" ... maybe I need to speak some Elvish runes or something?!?

I own actual watch tools (except case openers :-P )---watchmaking was one of my failed post-retirement plans the first time around---I've completely dissembled a regular manual movement and put it back together ... I also change my own batteries and straps, but this particular @$@#$ case defies me. I suspect it's just a shitty watch :mrgreen:

OTCW

Post by OTCW »

Some watches only open from the front.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Take it to a jeweler and ask them if they know how to open it. They wouldn't charge you for asking a question (most are really nice anyway).

Campitor

Post by Campitor »

@Jacob

Did you ever get the watch back opened? No pressure - just curious.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Not yet. The razor blades are thin enough to get under but too soft/flexible to pry the back off. The Swiss Army knife (what I usually use) is too thick to get in under without an indent or an incident.

I'll put the problem on the backburner...

Campitor

Post by Campitor »

A parting thought. Once you get one razor blade under the lip, insert another razor blade underneath the original one, keep inserting more razors underneath the proceeding blade till you wedge the back free. Good luck!

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

I use one of these. Works well when there is no slot like many Seikos and Victorinox models have, or don't have.

A lot of cheap quartz watches don't have a slot. This tool made me popular at many workplaces where people were smart enough to change a battery but couldn't get the case open without sticking a knife in their hand. The usual exchange, "you fix watches? I have this seiko that I cannot get open."

I think it cost me about $75 in umm, 1998.

edit - I had to put this funny Sclass story in. I bought this opener when I couldn't get my SO's 1970s vintage Seiko open. She hadn't worn it for awhile and the battery was long dead. I struggled. Then I put the watch in a vise with some v-blocks. As I tightened the vise I heard a faint "click". Uh oh. I took the watch out and saw a crack across the glass crystal.

me: "ohh, honey, you know that old seiko in your desk with the dead battery?"
her: "yeah, the one my mom gave me before she fell ill that used to belong to her?"
me: (GULP) "yes dear, I'm changing the battery for you. I'll need to buy a special tool to open it from Jules Borel but it'll be fixed very soon."
her: "oh thank you."
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

and that is how I came to own this BIFL case opener!

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

@Sclass - Now retails at $129 http://www.ofrei.com/page555.html

Add: Here's a Horotec clone: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Watch-Repair-T ... 1113205272

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Inspired by Sclass's vise, here's my working/functional solution:
http://earlyretirementextreme.com/wp-co ... 320320.jpg

I bought a cheap ($4.25/free shipping) push-type opener (I could conceivably have sacrificed a small screwdriver instead) and used a K-bar clamp to push it in in a very slow and controlled manner until the case back popped off. It did require some hand-holding to get the entry-angle right. W/o the clamp assist, I couldn't apply enough force.

Campitor

Post by Campitor »

Congrats on getting it done with an inexpensive solution. Well done.

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

Brilliant. Love it when a hack saves money.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

The K-bar clamp can also serve as a case back press if two thumbs aren't enough(*). It's pretty nerve wracking though! I'd recommend using some folded paper, like a stuffed envelope, against the glass to avoid scratching it. For the back, I used a piece of wood between the clamp and case back to concentrate the pressing force. This was a tricky one so I had to move the wood around a bit. The whole clamp contraption (I used a second clamp to hold the first one vertical and a third clamp to hold the second one to the table) was vertical, not horizontal like for the opening (pic link above).

(*) After failing with the thumbs, I also tried laying a flat piece of wood (about 1ft long) across the back and pressing down with my weight to snap it back in, but that wasn't enough either.

Cheap commercial alternative: https://www.harborfreight.com/watch-cas ... 91621.html

OTCW

Post by OTCW »

I have that Harbor Freight tool. Timex in particular can be a real bear to get the back back on.

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

I strongly recommend the harbor freight press to close backs. If you look at the press dies, they have a bevel on them to focus stress on the front of the case and not the crystal as well as the edges of the back rather than the center.

I have the horotec press and it works a lot better than a thumb or clamp. My suspicion is the beveled die puts a radial component of stress on the snap back allowing it to pop into the case better. Pushing on the center of the pack may actually increase the backs diameter given the design of the back say if it is domed.

This
https://www.esslinger.com/watch-case-pr ... id=1&pid=1

I have some Swiss watches that have very tight snap backs. Without the press it’s impossible to close them.