Preserving Eggs (Food)

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
theanimal

Preserving Eggs (Food)

Post by theanimal »

In my new place I have a refrigerator. Ideally, I would not like to use it. The only thing I eat that requires refrigeration is eggs. I typically buy them in bulk, 5 dozen at a time.

Does anyone have a way of preserving eggs without refrigeration?

I have read that you can blend them and freeze. That'd be easy with one of the world's biggest freezers outside my door. I am considering that but am curious if anyone has any other suggestions.

ETA: It seems covering the eggs in mineral oil works as well. This seems more appealing than freezing them.

vexed87

Re: Preserving Eggs (Food)

Post by vexed87 »

tommytebco

Post by tommytebco »

I have read many times, that eggs do not need refrigeration. Check transatlantic sailing reports. Many coat in wax or lard and store that way for a month or more. I've forgotten the details.

RealPerson

Post by RealPerson »

Eggs bought in a US grocery store can be preserved by covering them in a thin coat of Vaseline. Can be kept unrefrigerated. If the eggs are from the farm and their protective layer has not been washed off, there is no need to refrigerate. That is why eggs in Europe are sold in the grocery store without refrigeration.

Farm_or

Post by Farm_or »

Backyard chickens? Let the chickens store and produce as needed. Maybe not an option for you, but seems to be gaining popularity for the purpose of continued fresh eggs supply

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Eggs will stay fresh outside of the refrigerator for a fairly long time depending on conditions. And, it's pretty easy to know when an egg has gone bad due to the fact it will stink-to-high-heaven when you crack it open. I think people got the notion that eggs are something that go bad easily because of the risk of serious illness from eating eggs that still have fecal matter on them. The commercial washing process takes care of that risk, but also removes the protective waxy coating that would naturally inhibit decomposition of the egg for its intended purpose of providing nourishment to embryonic chick. So, that's why covering with Vaseline or any similar substance is helpful. It seems likely that given this treatment, the average egg will stay fresh at least for the average period of incubation of the bird species. For chickens, this is approximately 21 days.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Eggs do not require refrigeration.

For preservation (more than week), cover them in mineral oil. This is easy/fast with a nitrile glove. Then store them with the pointy end down. This is good for a couple of months or more---something to keep in mind if eggs are on sale. The oil (or vaseline ... but oil is cheaper) prevents oxygen from making it through the shell. Not sure what the pointy end down does, but why not ...

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

Do you speak about the same mineral oil as used in hydrualic applications?!
I've never seen mineral oil in house keeping department (yet).

EDIT:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mineral_oil
Food grade mineral oil has an E number of E905a, although it is not approved in food products in the European Union,
Ok, I see why I haven't encountered this hack.

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

jacob wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:11 am
Eggs do not require refrigeration.

For preservation (more than week), cover them in mineral oil. This is easy/fast with a nitrile glove.
I can't find reply as PM on mobile version of forum.
So.. what is exactly on the label? I'll try to find this in europe. Typing mineral oil brings me to many motor oil offers.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Label/ingredients says mineral oil, but for Europeans, it's E905a.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mineral_oil

BWND

Post by BWND »

Hi,

I saw a documentary a few years ago following these guys:
http://www.sailingcalypso.com

They live on a boat and the woman said that she turned the eggs and this made them last longer (perhaps a fortnight or so?)

Frustratingly I can't find the actual documentary online to check if she said how long. I'm also not sure if this is based on anything concrete or more of an 'old wives tale'.

If you only needed to store them for a few weeks this could be a simpler option than coating them.