ffj's journal II Rope Rescue Technician

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
Sclass

Re: ffj's journal II Rope Rescue Technician

Post by Sclass »

Thanks for the warnings. I've actually topped the same trees as a 13 yo kid using backyard tree climbing skills and a loop of safety line clipped to the trunk. My dad would belay a safety line. Prolly considered child abuse today. :lol: Now that I'm faced with doing this alone I thought I'd try acending the rope with the knots. But...if there is a mechanical device that works better I'd like to buy one.

So a Prussik knot will be a huge improvement over climbing from limb to limb. I'm thinking I should try it first climbing say 10'. I think if I use a propper harness and clip in with safety line not much can go wrong. I can wear my bike helmet. :lol: Heh heh.

I'll probably just throw down $4000 and have the pros do it which is what I did a few years ago. It just didn't look all that magical and I felt I could have saved some green by climbing up myself.

I bought this book called Knots by Gordon Perry at a book discounter and I've been fantasizing about this for years.

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

Don't let Gilberto scare you off ;).
I don't want to scare or discourage anyone, I just want people to be safe. I'm not here to rain on anyone's parade and I think ropework is great and a lot of fun. :)

I think what really has me on a safety kick is that lately I've been seeing lots of people who just bought the gear for climbing or treework (I've done both), got little to no instruction, and are inventing methods as they go along. I'm all for risk taking by people who understand the risks they are exposing themselves to (example: Alex Honnold) but a lot of people are casually being really dangerous and have no idea. Thankfully I've never been around when someone has been hurt but I've seen some wake up calls for people who thought there was no problem (sometimes after being told otherwise).

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

Thanks for the warnings. I'm going to leave this to the pros. I'll probably still ascend 10' to see if it works, but I'm actually worried about other things like branches snapping under me or felling unpredictability and strangling me between the tree and the ropes...I've heard stories by an old timer about palm tree trimming accidents in LA where the cutter gets leaned back on his harness by heavy fronds.

Cool to see such techniques exist.

Gilberto de Piento

I hope you realize that I'm not dismissing your concerns, but I want to empower people who are interested in this to become good at it and subsequently become safe at it.
We are on the same page, I just like more cautionary notes and hand wringing with my technical instruction. :D

The picket and the slings you just posted are interesting, I've never seen those. The labels on the slings with ratings for more than one configuration are new to me. Rock climbing gear usually just has one rating in Nm.

Ever gone rock climbing? One of the best sport climbing areas in the US, Red River Gorge, is in Kentucky (where I think you are located).

Gilberto de Piento

That's interesting. Being able to lock it off and to increase friction seems useful for rescue. I'm only familiar with the tube style and some of the more exotic climbing devices (ex: gri gri). Do you back up with a prusik?

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

FFJ,thanks for sharing. This is something I dream about. Nice hardware.

Gilberto de Piento

The other day I saw someone ascend a rope using just a cordelette instead of prusiks and slings. I thought that could be useful as an option in case the other items aren't available. I didn't take a picture of it though so I'm not exactly sure how he did it.

daylen

Post by daylen »

It is always interesting to see theory translated into practice!

daylen

Post by daylen »

One thing I recommend is to develop a classification system for navigating this information based on utility, complexity, and application. All this is second nature for you by this point, but such a system would useful for some beginners such as myself. Though, it also depends on your target audience.

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

This is so amazing thanks a TON for sharing.
Quick tangent
I am blown away by the amount of useful (or potentially useful) information that revolves around this ERE microcosm.
It's like people "speak" only if they have something useful to add, and the average high quality raises the bar, so others also are pushed to only post if they have something useful to say.
Thanks to the community as a whole, and ffj in particular for this thread.

DSKla

Post by DSKla »

Super cool stuff! I wish there was somewhere to sign up to learn how to do this, short of being a fireman, even as a volunteer. I'd be all over that.

Gilberto de Piento

Some places have volunteer search and rescue teams where you would be able to learn and use these techniques.

DSKla

Post by DSKla »

Moving soon to an area that would be S&R prime real estate, so I'll look into it--even though they probably do it so much that they take care of it in-house with pros.

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

@ ffj
Awesome topic, thanks.

I have a request for another.

Fire protection, in particular, fire protection in rural areas. We have plenty of folks who are looking to relocate to rural areas, often some kind of homesteading arrangement.

When I started my Whidbey project, I had afire station within a mile, so I never put much thought into it. But if I were further out, some kind of fire suppression beyond a fire extinguisher would be appropriate.

I've worked in construction, and seen what a fire sprinkler does to a finished room. Fire is more destructive, but not by much. I had no interest in installing that in my house.

But looking recently, I'm seeing powder systems, and misting systems, and starting to wonder.

Have you seen any of these and the mess they leave? Is there a system you liked? What kind of improvised systems have you seen? Things that firemen wish homeowners knew and did? What have you done in your own place?

There's no hurry, and I don't want to interrupt your current thread, but I am interested in what you have to share.

Thanks in advance.

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

Another thread would be easier for folks to find. Changing subjects 5 pages in would mean a lot of folks wouldn't ever see it. I like threads when they get past page 4, myself. But in the interest of information dispersal, I think a new thread at your convenience would be best.

I got on the subject by reading on yarchives.net which is a archived copy of old Usenet subjects. I can't find the section on fires and fire safety on my phone right now, I'll link to it in your thread. Lots of interesting practical improvisation there. At one point, he talked about putting some liquid storage cubes in a box van with a genny and pumps to be the new local firetruck. Another idea was converting an old septic pump truck for fire protection.

I'll dig and sift for the weirdest ideas, and you can point out the things that won't work. In the end, maybe we will have a good guide for folks far enough out that depending on local fire protection isn't a comfortable option.