Sponsoring spouse to immigrate: use lawyer or DIY?

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
Loner

Sponsoring spouse to immigrate: use lawyer or DIY?

Post by Loner »

I have had a long distance relationship with a fabulous woman for 5 years. Wise, frugal (makes her own clothes, cooks rice and beans, enjoys picnics rather than restaurants, etc.), and generally trying to live a mindful good life. We make a great team. Now it’s about time for living together.

She is from Costa Rica but finishing an MBA in the UK in august. She also has an Italian passport (but has never been there, cannot speak Italian, nor can she cook pizza). I am a Canadian citizen, living in Quebec.

Our plan is for her to come here as a tourist with the Italian passport in September, marry, and then have her ask for permanent residency (most likely as a Costa Rican, not Italian).

I love DIYing stuff, from bikes to PF, but this makes me a bit stressed out. Should I also DIY this? Any resource for learning more? Could a lawyer help? How so? What costs would we be looking at?

More generally, do you have any comments or experience to share?

EMJ

Re: Sponsoring spouse to immigrate: use lawyer or DIY?

Post by EMJ »

I sponsored my spouse 12 years ago from Europe to Canada, no lawyer.
Read everything about entry requirements. When we did this you had to start the process abroad and declare your intention at the border.
Dr exams were lost, no way to contact immigration.
While we waited my spouse couldn't work, no bank account, etc. And I signed to support him for 10 years. You really have to trust each other.
Long wait times then, longer now.
Massive paperwork.

He got permanent residence over a year after we started the process.

Loner

Re: Sponsoring spouse to immigrate: use lawyer or DIY?

Post by Loner »

Sounds encouraging. Thanks for the info EMJ. I will be doing much reading in the next few days.