ERE products

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
m741

Post by m741 »

What is the best product you've invested in that saved money on common expenses?
For me it was a Merkur safety razor. Cost was $55 but worth it. The shave is as good as the fancy Mach 5s, but the blades are cheap enough that I will probably be spending ~$5 a year on shaving. And the razor is very high quality, so it ought to last for my lifetime.

BennKar

Post by BennKar »

Lets see....
My trusty drying rack thats big enough to hold a full load of wash. Yeah, a clothesline is cheaper, but I'm not fond of hanging clothes out in the cold.
If you use a dryer you can install an exhaust redirector to get the heat back into the house in the winter (I installed one for my mother). These only cost a few dollars and should pay you back in less than one winter.
Microwaveable ceramic containers to take my lunches in (I use CoringWare Grab It containers). I find them at yard sales for less than $1. Better than plastic containers with their chemicals that can leach into food, and they last much longer (almost indestructible).
Not sure if it fits, but I would include my tempurpedic bed. It has a high up front cost, but its still feels like new. Its possible I will never need to buy another bed in my lifetime.

Shandi76

Post by Shandi76 »

My Zamberlan hiking boots :-) I paid about US$170 for them back in 1999 when I was doing a camping tour which took me from Seattle to Alaska and back. I was a penniless student, so it was a huge outlay for me, but I am still using them now.
I agree with BennKar about paying for a quality bed. I bought a Jay-be frame bed with their highest quality mattress about 8 1/2 years ago. The cost was £770 including delivery (about $1250) which my friends thought was crazy, but it has survived 2 moves and a spell in storage, and the mattress is as comfortable as ever.

akratic

Post by akratic »

My best savings from a single product is also shaving related: Philips Norelco T980 Turbo Vacuum Trimmer
shaving costs approach $0
shaving time cut by almost an order of magnitude
sex appeal apparently increased by perma-stubble look

Rex

Post by Rex »

@m741: The Merkur does look nice to me, but I ran across a good deal for nine old double-edge safety razors (Gillette, and GM I believe?) for all of $11; though they need cleaning and sterilization, I plan on getting them into working shape over my next break. How do you like your safety razor?
For me, I'm hoping to be able to add the safety razors I purchased onto this list, but as of right now, I must add my Gillette Fusion - though the blades are expensive, I typically go about six months or so on a single cartridge using just water. Beyond that, my GoLite GoRock light hiking shoes are holding up extremely well; they still look almost brand new after half a year of daily use. The Crystal deodorant I use, too, should end up costing me about $0.58 a month for use, if not longer, as it appears as if I've barely scratched it, even with having used it since September. Nothing beats a nice cotton handkerchief that can purchased in packs of 10 for about $10, nor can you beat a Victorinox, Case, or Buck knife, nor a Victorinox or Leatherman multitool; Fenix and 4Sevens are both good brands for flashlights, likewise.

Chris

Post by Chris »

akratic, what's the dollar-value of the increased sex appeal? (-:

m741

Post by m741 »

@Rex: Some people are nuts about safety razors, to the point of fetishizing them (see the Art of Manliness blog). I think they work comparably to multi-blade style razors, with the caveat that they are a little tougher on the skin. I am much more likely to cut myself shaving with a safety razor than a multi-blade razor. But I enjoy using it and the savings do add up.
I doubt brand matters much, it's just a well-engineered piece of metal.
What is crystal deodorant like?

Rex

Post by Rex »

@m741: Yeah, I've checked out that blog in the past; while I'd love for my razors to look brand new, I'm not paying more money to have the razors replated than what it'd cost for a brand new Merkur razor; besides, I try to be thrifty. What I think I'll love about the safety razors are the ease of cleaning; it's a bit tedious cleaning the various blades on my Fusion, and I've bent some in the past; simply removing the razor blade and blowing out the hair will be much easier. As for a safety razor being slightly tougher on skin, I don't think that will be a problem; I only use water when I shave, so I'm used to it (yay for more cost savings).
Crystal deodorant is like any other stick deodorant, with the caveat that it's just a deodorant, not an antiperspirant. Furthermore, you must wet the top of the stick (or rock, depending) before application; I just don't dry off until after I put it on in the morning. It'll typically last throughout the day, but you cannot really miss a spot, otherwise you'll smell from that area. In terms of money saving, though, it's already paid for itself two or three times over; I used to go through a stick of regular deodorant a month. Splurge on the "large" size, which is 4.25 ounces; it's more cost effective, though Le Rock is the best deal, personally. I actually want to see if I can get a case of the Crystal deodorant (bonus if it's at distributor prices) because I have a knack of finding something that I like that really works for me, and then it disappears by the time I need a replacement. :/

m741

Post by m741 »

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

Piper

Post by Piper »

I bought a mountain bike in 1993. I suppose if I was more frugal then I could have gotten one for less than full retail. But I still have it and still use it.
I bought an iMac in 1998. Before then my computers had been very out-of-date. The iMac opened up a whole new world for me. Since then I've owned a few other computers. Every time I buy a computer I worry about what a waste of money it is, but every time, without fail, it pays for itself with increased income. That first iMac was the key. It propelled me out of poverty.
I bought a new violin for $100 in 1996. Since then I've enjoyed 15 years of playing it, off and on anyway. Sometimes I make a little money playing gigs. I think I've made back the money I paid for the violin. Since I play fiddle tunes, there was no real need for a fancy violin.
I bought a penny whistle for $10 in 2008. Now there's an affordable instrument. If you can play it well, it's a beautiful instrument. Some people spend hundreds of dollars chasing after the perfect penny whistle when all they really have to do is spend $10 and practice a lot.
I bought a Pfaff sewing machine from an estate sale for $35 a couple years ago. It's an excellent machine. I've been able to repair things, make backpacking gear and even shoes and sandals.
I bought a crock pot a long time ago. That thing is awesome.

Rex

Post by Rex »

Oh, I forgot to add: there are two types of Crystal-based deodorants: Ammonium Alum and Potassium Alum - one may not work on you, but the other should. Just, you have to try it out before you discover if it works for your body chemistry. :/

dragoncar

Post by dragoncar »

Printer, green ink cartridges, and cotton fiber paper.

Shandi76

Post by Shandi76 »

Forgot to mention my Heartech Silentear earplugs. They cost about £9 (about US$15) but they have really good noise reduction and are washable and reusable. They have lasted me a year so far and with proper care it should be a few more years before the silicone starts to degrade. Much better than disposable ones.

McTrex

Post by McTrex »

My car (wondering what Jacob would say ;) ).
I'm in a consultant function, so I used to have a lease car. After my lease car contract expired, I started driving a very cheap, economical car. I get a fixed amount per month from my employer, and the total costs of the car (including depreciation) are about half of that. Which means I earn about 300 euro/month driving my car :)

JeremyS

Post by JeremyS »

I bought a pair of comfortable Asolo hiking boots for about $280 five years ago. In that time, I'm sure I've logged over 10,000 km on them (and they're starting to show it) walking to work, groceries, errands, and hunting.
I estimate that I've saved about $2000 in public transit fare (based on monthly pass price) in that time.
It might almost be time to get a new pair (before these ones actually die, and I can rotate them every other day to help keep them clean and greased).
These boots were a quality buy and saved me a lot of leg-ache and bus fares.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

I can think of three categories of "ERE products"
1) Stuff that practically never wears out, e.g. shoes, clocks, ...
2) Stuff that's usually expensive but can be sold again for what you paid for it, e.g. tools, some music, some gadgets, ...
3) Stuff that's so cheap you get it for free, e.g. furniture, storage containers, ...

Surio

Post by Surio »

Sorry for this off-topic question,

@Jacob,

Agreed about Point 1: I still have my family heirloom wind-up watches! :-D, but the shoes I am unable to find in those categories here!
Point 2: We don't have a market for that, but perhaps, I ought to start a Surio's list for India!
Point 3: I have a minor point with that one: Is there any point to learning woodworking at all then? Not to slag off woodworking or anything and I love woodworking myself (as I wrote elsewhere).
I know wood is a major construction material in the USA right now, but when cheap oil runs out, then people have to switch to "adobe" or similar insulating material for construction. I'm following this community in India with interest for sometime. They are using every documented "sustainable" practice they can lay hands on and following it. :-D. Good for them! Also, places like India moved to cement/concrete long time ago. And there's enough flat-pack furnitire being thrown away every year (even in India!) we can make it go around for a long time.....
What am I missing here?

Surio

Post by Surio »

EDIT... Multiple posts came up. And I see the thread doesn't move up automatically. Something wrong at my end?

Surio

Post by Surio »

Forgive me. I am posting this again to test if the thread moves up. Moderators may kindly delete this and the previous edit post from me at the next opportune moment!

HSpencer

Post by HSpencer »

In general things that were made prior to 1960. Example would be my 1955 Ideal Mfg Coca Cola machine. Now this Coke machine does nothing really for me but please me. It even loses money for me as I sell the Cokes in it for the .10 cents as shown on the machine. The value is in both the materials and the age of the machine. A guy needs a few pleasures in life.

I prefer older items made in the USA:
Wilton Vises

Snap-On Tools and tool boxes

Any old Stanley tools

Strong-Hold Cabinets

Hand made furniture made in North Carolina prior to 1940.

Colt M1911A1 Pistols or Springfield Armory 1911's.

Smith and Wesson revolvers.

Starrett Precision Tools.

1950 era Dinettes and Chairs by Elvian Corp

Kennedy Machinist Tool boxes.

Most anything made in the USA prior to 1960 out of quality materials.
I am currently looking for an all metal swing top trash can with the outer casing that lifts off to empty the inner can.

I WILL NOT pay $450.00 for a replica model. I want the actual thing, and will gladly refinish and repaint. You saw these in movie theaters and gas stations in the 50's and 60's.