Minimalist stuff

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Anyone interested in minimalist lists? That is, the minimum amount of stuff needed to do this and that.

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

I am, for example bike tools.
Also, I've been think a lot about kitchen stuff. When I move again, I'm going to have only high quality tools that can fit into [hopefully] 30 cubic centimeters.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

I've been planning on doing a bike tool oriented post for a while.
Not even sure, I can fit a spoon into 30 ccm. Here's my solution which with into about a cubic foot, though.
http://earlyretirementextreme.com/the-m ... tchen.html

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

do'h! I mean 30 cm cube(d), not 30 cubic cm.
I wouldn't mind having some more specialized tools (graters, mandolin, garlic press, so on) but only if they're versatile, well made and very compact. But it's not like you can walk into walmart and find such items.
I'd like all my kitchen tools to fit into a box the size of the average person's electric can opener.

______

Bike tools list would be appreciated as I am slowly piecing on together now.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

I pieced my set together by using ebay auctions and amazon+part suppliers when I got desperate. Interestingly enough I ended up with a set that except for a few tools (their hex wrenches and screw drivers + the bearing press/rocket) is practically identical to Park Tool's Professional tool kit. I'm probably going to get the bearing press eventually. Due to the way I bought it, I paid significantly less though.
I like it when that happens, that is, a retailer/seller will actually put together sets that are useful rather than just stuff underused/unused tools into their sets to oversell you something.
I don't see that a lot.
(lee-valley.com is another good example)

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Somewhere on my blog, there's a link to a pdf which describes a kitchen kit which does everything and which can be packed into a wash bowl/kitchen sink.

Q

Post by Q »

I think that kitchen stuff is very "what do you eat" - oriented.
I've slowly been working on, on my head tho, a camping cooking kit, which would work.
I can't get ideas out of my head properly sometimes, but I can "see" it and play with it until I am ready to act on it...

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

List to be accepted into most places within society:
shirt

shorts (debatable)

shoes
:)

Maus

Post by Maus »

Here's my list for bare necessities of ERE, based on functions throughout the day:

RISE

ABLUTIONS

Shower & Towel, Toilet, Sink & Mirror [OUTSOURCE to Gym?]; Razor & Toiletries

DRESS

Underwear (UW), Socks, Pants, Shirt, Belt, Shoes, Jacket, Hat, Gloves; some form of Storage:

UW x3

Socks x3

Pants x2

Shirt x3

Belt x1

Shoes x1

Jacket x1

Hat x1

Gloves x1

Sweats x1

Bathing Suit x1

BREAKFAST

Refrigerator, Heated Water, Pan, Cup, Plate, Utensils, Foodstuffs; some form of Storage:

Banana, Mozzarella sticks, Eggs, Tea

WORK

Table, Chair, Electricity for Computer [OUTSOURCE to Library?]; Laptop Computer, Files/Storage for hard copy docs

LUNCH

Foodstuffs from Storage: Carrots, Apple/Pear/Etc., Canned Soup, Tuna, Nuts

READ

Chair, Lamp, Book(s) [Shelf?]

DINNER

2 Burners [Coleman Stove?], Pot, Cutting Board & Knife, Olive Oil, Spices & Herbs, Foodstuffs from Storage: One pot meal w/ Meat & Vegetables, Rice/Beans/Potatoes, Fruit

COMMUNICATION

Pre-Paid Mobile Phone

RETIRE

Electricity for C-PAP [Marine battery?], Futon/Twin Bed (39”x80”), Pillow(s), Linens/Sleeping Bag, Blanket(s)
All of this could be located in a Yurt, a Van, or a Studio Apartment.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

@Maus - Very similar to the backpacking lifestyle designers. They tend to outsource eating and living space. In that case essentials boil down to a laptop and a carry-on bag. [For exercise, they prefer running.]

Mo

Post by Mo »

Maus, that's a great list.
I suspect that the electricity needs could be met by a marine battery setup (you may want two, or more) with solar charging. Depending on location, one might want some means to generate heat.
Lastly, from my sailing days, I know one can get by with a cooler rather than a fridge, but an ice source is helpful about every 3 days.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

@Maus @Mo You don't really need a marine battery. A marine battery is a deep cycle battery that allows for a high current for starting the engine like a starter battery. Just go with deep cycle batteries. It will be cheaper.
Our RV has one big ass starter battery and two deep cycle batteries.
A 24V system will be able to run the laptop --- last time I looked into to it (many years ago), processors required 18V. Alternatively, use a car charger to charge the laptop and go with 12V. There are more 12V appliances than 24V; the latter are for trucks.
I second the ice box. A 12V fridge costs $1000+ and it draws quite a bit of current => big battery bank.

Maus

Post by Maus »

@jacob

Thanks for the advice about the distinction b/w marine battery and deep cycle.
Regarding the cooler versus fridge, I am definitely trying to move to foodstuffs that rely less on refrigeration. I don't have any problem with shopping daily, but it's rare to see certain things in what I would consider daily quantities, e.g. eggs (usually sold in a minimum of 6, for which all economies of scale are lost). Since I am trying to eat more of a paleo-style diet, I cannot resort to things like rice or oatmeal with any frequency or in large quantities.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

@Maus - Eggs don't really need refrigeration. Meat does though, unless you start smoking/curing/... it.
WRT batteries, the DIY hacker approach is to get slightly used golf cart batteries.

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

Since I haven't decided where to live I like being minimal. Like being liquid with investments, the possibilities are endless! <wow, fear of commitment>
However, people who has chosen a spot and are established have it nice... Space and weight are much less of an issue. A nice workshop, while probably far from minimalist, is a powerful thing.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Stuff can really tie one down geographically. It's not so much that it's hard to move in principle. It's all the work associated with packing everything, etc. A relocation company will typically charge $10,000 for a cross country move just to give an idea. There's obviously tons of overhead there, but considering the time, say 100 hours of work, it may not be that unreasonable. A minimalist can move at the price of a plane ticket and be ready in the time it takes to throw everything into a suitcase.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

@jacob - for significant moving, if one has stuff, best approach is to sell the stuff and repurchase at destination. Works well for most everything that isn't sentimental or collectible.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

@George - Selling seems to be an even greater hassle than moving. At least we spent more time trying to sell stuff than we did in packing when we moved into the RV.

Stahlmann

Re: Minimalist stuff

Post by Stahlmann »

I think I will try bike my country during this vacations.

I have bike from my Holy Comunion (it is a bit too small, 26 incher) :lol: . I have no-name rear baggage rack. Today I just have received my no-name panniers (27 liter capacity each) (seller claims they are water-proof), as a bonus I received cover accessories. I have also 2 person tent and the sleeping bag.

I know I will need something to repair my bike :lol:

What else would you pack?
I will undergo fast crash course in bike maintance with with help of my relatives.
Last edited by Stahlmann on Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jennypenny

Re: Minimalist stuff

Post by jennypenny »

@Stahlmann--Have you seen this video Ego posted a few years ago? https://forum.earlyretirementextreme.co ... 336#p50336