Clothes Dryer Problem

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
brookline

Clothes Dryer Problem

Post by brookline »

Hi everyone,
I am having problems with my dryer. Basically, it shuts off way too prematurely in its drying cycle & clothes aren't dried (e.g., a 40 minute cycle is reduced to 10-20 minutes). I've noticed the more times I run the machine without giving it a rest, the shorter the drying cycles become. I compared a stopwatch to the timer clock on the dryer & the dryer clock seems to run down faster than the stopwatch. The dryer is a Maytag Model # MGDE251YL0 purchased new in January 2013. As a first step to remedy the problem, I did a pretty extensive cleaning of the vents & discovered that (1) they were choked with lint and (2) member of my family had been placing clothes with sand in the dryer in the past. Anybody have ideas on what is troubling the dryer? What are your recommendations regarding repair? Thanks!

OTCW

Re: Clothes Dryer Problem

Post by OTCW »

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/elect ... ast.html#b

Read the above thread for ideas. The pugsl guy seems to have the solution. Bad thermistor (cheap part) or moisture sensor ground. Kenmore, not Maytag, but they are all pretty much the same thing anymore except the labels. Good luck.

Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

This doesn't really answer your question but I've found a viable solution for a broken dryer. I've taken apart and put back together my dryer so many times trying to identify a knocking sound that I've given up and started air drying my clothes. I just hang clothes up on backs of chairs etc. It takes a little longer but it defers work.

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

Is the dryer running in auto dry mode where it uses a moisture sensor to stop when dry? Or are you using a fixed 40 min cycle and it is finishing in 10 min?

Sounds like an electronic issue. It would be nice if it is something as simple as a thermistor or thermal break.

brookline

Post by brookline »

Sclass wrote:Is the dryer running in auto dry mode where it uses a moisture sensor to stop when dry? Or are you using a fixed 40 min cycle and it is finishing in 10 min?

Sounds like an electronic issue. It would be nice if it is something as simple as a thermistor or thermal break.
What is a thermal break?

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

A fuse that melts when something gets too hot. Saves you from a fire.

I had a moisture sensor on a more primitive Maytag stopping the dry cycle early. However, I could make it dry properly by setting it to dry for a set time like 30 min. If you are having trouble with auto dry it is often the little board that reads the sensor signal. But before you start swapping parts you should figure out just what is failing.

On your model there are only two circuit boards. And, they are both expensive.