Project books/ideas/resources

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
theanimal

Project books/ideas/resources

Post by theanimal »

I'm looking for books or resources detailing projects one could pursue. Whether it be in woodworking, electronics, mechanics etc. Does not matter. Does anyone have any good resources to recommend?

Here's an example: Make it! Don't Buy It!

Ideally, the resources would include options for those just (or just beyond) starting out. But more advanced resources are welcome too.

George the original one

Re: Project books/ideas/resources

Post by George the original one »

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I posted a couple of HAM radio resources on the wiki. One is a podcast about building the radios. Seems like something that might be useful up there?

BadHorse

Post by BadHorse »

At http://www.instructables.com the DIY community has uploaded several lifetimes' worth of projects, from home-built radios, rockets, and hydroponics systems to Darth Vader costumes and glow-in-the-dark drinks.. And cakes. Many, many cakes.

DSKla

Post by DSKla »

Caveman Chemistry will teach a novice the basics of chemistry in the form of 28 projects, from harnessing fire to plastics and pharmaceuticals. You'll do one hands-on project for each of what the author considers the most important achievements of mankind with regards to chemistry. Super fun. I am working through it VERY slowly. If you already know a bunch of chemistry it may not be worth it, but if you're a humanities major, or you have older kids, you'll have a blast.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

brute has enjoyed the chemistry experiment for creating fire from oxygen and hydrogen. apart from that, it seems to get dangerous very quickly.