Something From Nothing Log

What skills to learn, what tools to get
Crazylemon

Re: Something From Nothing Log

Post by Crazylemon » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:40 am

@C40 I have never noticed problems with the smell when I have visited (unlike say Venice).
But Paris syndrome exists though to be partly because expectation does not match reality https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_syndrome

Ego

Post by Ego » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:07 am

For our last three incarnations we traveled for a year then returned and were rehired by the same management company to manage a different apartment building. I started this thread when I was finding lots of good stuff in the trash at the building we were managing in the last incarnation. We just learned that the current manager of the building is leaving at the end of the month. They asked if we wanted to return. Normally we like the serendipity of relocating to a new area but they offered such a good deal we would be foolish to refuse. They will find someone to take over for two months until we return.

Non-stop flight (12 hours) from Madrid to LAX for $202 per person on Norwegian. How can it be so inexpensive?

C40

Post by C40 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:23 pm

$200! WOW.

Well, tell us - how did the race watching go? Where did you spectate? Were you able to find a place that worked for running across the park?

Ego

Post by Ego » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:31 am

We arrived about three hours before the race was scheduled to pass and could not figure out how to get into the Tuileries Garden as all of the surrounding streets were blocked. It was a good thing. We found a spot on Rue de Rivoli where the entire parade of vehicles and chaos passed prior to the riders who passed nine times on their circuit around the park. It was the perfect location.

The French rider Alaphilippe who had the yellow jersey for most of the race likes to ride close to the barrier. I nearly clipped him with my gopro.

________

We extended the apartment for another eight days, paid for by the Equifax Settlement. Everyone should check to see if they were involved.

https://www.equifaxbreachsettlement.com/

Ego

Post by Ego » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:13 am

Yesterday was free day at many of the museums in Paris. We took the subway (€1.90 each) to d'Orsay. The internet said the line to enter would be 3 hours but we waited only 30 minute. It was crowded but I suspect not much more so than a regular day. We wandered through the Impressionist gallery and saw Renoir's Bal du moulin de la Galette. Later we sat in the lawn chairs in the shade at Jardin des Tuileries and enjoyed a picnic lunch of leftovers. Afterward we headed over to Musee de l'Orangerie for Monet's water lillies.

We decided to walk home and took a shortcut through Jardin du Luxembourg where a group of about a hundred friends dressed in period clothing were talking and impromptu dancing under the gazebo. We sat for an hour and just watched. It felt as if we had been transported to the 1870s.

The painting is said to be something of a celebration of the public parks build by Napoleon III who was the first elected President of France. At the end of his term as President he declared himself Emperor of France and ruled for another nineteen years. It was during his time as Emperor that he created many of the institutions of modern France . History is never simple.

Total cost for the day $4.24

Ego

Post by Ego » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:12 pm

I saw this video of a reading of Richard Feynman's love letter to his wife.

https://youtu.be/kVIx7luyuJw

It made me mindful of the fact that the most valuable things we have are relationships and how important it is to partner with someone who is equally determined to make something great.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:49 pm

@Ego:

Would your take on letter change if you knew that Feynman was kind of notoriously polyamorous before polyamory was cool? A good friend of mine who grew up in his father's physics lab used Feynman's known behavior as his excuse for making strip clubs his 3rd place.

Ego

Post by Ego » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:20 pm

Hah! Not sure what to make of the new information.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:05 pm

Didn't his wife die young? Maybe he kept looking for her in other people?

Jason

Post by Jason » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:27 am

7Wannabe5 wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:49 pm
A good friend of mine who grew up in his father's physics lab used Feynman's known behavior as his excuse for making strip clubs his 3rd place.
It's a poorly kept secret that it was originally referred to as "G-String Theory" before sanitizing it for the scientific community.