Something From Nothing Log

What skills to learn, what tools to get
Ego

Re: Something From Nothing Log

Post by Ego » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:36 am

@Laura Ingalls, same here. My coal miner grandfather would coat his shovels, hoe, rake and pitch fork with used motor oil as well. My little brother inherited them and still uses them.

The Airbnb in Bucharest was a funky apartment in an ancient building with a bunch of full-to-overflowing closets. The owners live in France and rarely come back. We hid our outfits in the bottom of one of the closets and hope to return in a few weeks and wear them to a performance of the philharmonic.

Ego

Post by Ego » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:33 am

Ego wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:05 pm
I just looked at Airbnb monthly rates in Paris in summer/fall and found some studio apartments in the center for $1500-$1700 per month. I am still a bit incredulous that my habit of digging through piles of other peoples trash and reselling the choice bits could buy us a month in an apartment in Paris.
We just booked the place for a month (late July- late Aug) in Paris, a few blocks from The Sorbonne in the Latin Quarter. We will arrive just in time for the finish of the Tour de France. It costs $1680 for the month which is a lot of money. We'll be spending most of July in Ukraine which should lower our average significantly in preparation for the Paris splurge.

I earmarked most of the Something From Nothing funds in an account that pays our Airbnb bill. While I know intuitively that I am just playing a psychological game with myself, I enjoy knowing that this is trash-funded.

For as long as we've been together we've tracked daily expenses. For about 18 years now Mrs. Ego has done so in little spiral notebooks. We have about fifty of these at home. Today she transitioned to the second notebook of the trip.

Ego

Post by Ego » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:07 am

First day in Ukraine. First impressions, people are even nicer than Romania. Without one word in common we became friends with the entire family sitting behind us on the train. Ukraine is poorer than Romania and most things are considerably less expensive. I bought a Vodaphone sim card with four months of service and 40GB of data for $3.03.

I can't read the Cryllic script but when I see things like this it kills me. If I were at home I'd pile up these books and take them in anticipation of the next time I sell at the swap meet.

My great-grandmother left Western Ukraine (then the Austro-Hungarian empire) for Ellis Island just a few weeks before the outbreak of WWI. After she died we discovered she had left behind a four-year-old daughter who she never saw again. My grandmother found letters and this photo of the daughter (her sister) among her mother's belongings.

We plan to spend some time in the archives in Lviv to see if we can learn more about her life and ancestors.

Ego

Post by Ego » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:36 pm

7Wannabe5 wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:37 pm
Amazon wants to clean up its warehouses, so they recently offered a promotion where dealers could have stuff shipped back to them for next to nothing if it hadn't sold.
I remember that changes to Amazon fulfillment made your business challenging. You may be happy to hear that Shopify is entering the market.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/06/24/analyst ... mazon.html

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:46 pm

@Ego:

Thanks, I will look into it.