Something From Nothing Log

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
Ego

Re: Something From Nothing Log

Post by Ego »

Gilbert, I agree. It seems so impractical compared to a regular backpack. The only reason I picked it up is because I work out with a retired three-star who uses something very similar as his gym bag.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Tool bag!!

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

jacob wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:47 pm
Tool bag!!
yes! when doctors visited homes (another place/ another time) they’d carry bags just like that.

C40

Post by C40 »

The good old days... back when you could carry unsanitary doctors tools mixed together in an old leather bag.

Ego

Post by Ego »

The Zero Haliburton Nuclear Football rolling luggage project was stalled while I waited for period-appropriate hardware to appear at the swap meet. Finally this morning I found an old furniture roller with bombproof stainless steel wheels. Not quite something-from-nothing, but close at $2. Seeing that I now have $12 invested in the project, one that I hope will allow me to forego purchasing and $1100 Rimowa, I consider it a worthy investment. Still searching for a bombproof telescoping handle. Ideally something with sixties modern, space-age character.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

C40 wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:31 pm
The good old days... back when you could carry unsanitary doctors tools mixed together in an old leather bag.
hahaha! i don't think it was that bad. certainly not as filthy as a hospital waiting room with all the sick people breathing each other's spittle :D
Ego wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:35 pm
The Zero Haliburton Nuclear Football
what is that thing. an airstream for your clothes? or a sniper rifle case?

Ego

Post by Ego »

In addition to being the suitcase that carries the nuclear football, it has been in about twenty movies as the suitcase full of cash.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

oh wow...

https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/iconic-movie-luggage

007?

i'm sure you'll score some nice loot...

Lemon

Post by Lemon »

Alphaville wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:50 pm
yes! when doctors visited homes (another place/ another time) they’d carry bags just like that.
Or to be honest these days. I have colleagues with very similar bags in terms of appearance. The difference is they are all sufficiently reinforced and lockable to comply with control drug laws.

horsewoman

Post by horsewoman »

My band mates (all female folk band) and me have each such a bag, we use them for gigs and rehearsals. Perfect for a musician to keep together stuff like tuners, tuning wrenches, cell phone, a water bottle, hand mirror.... I keep the bag behind my harp chair and the wide mouth makes it easy to quickly find and reach stuff. Way better than a backpack!

Ego

Post by Ego »

Mrs. Ego found a nearly new stainless steel toaster oven in the trash and sold it on OfferUp today for $20. I found a pile of 25 plush fluffy towels in the trash. Saved in anticipation of future floods.

Lately I've been buying and selling a lot of medical equipment. Today I found this 1980s portable IPPB ventilator for $5 at the bottom of a pile of junk. A few weeks ago I bought a bunch of vacuum sealed trauma kits for $3 each from a retired Navy Seal who had them in his shed. One for each type of gunshot wound. I've got a great brushed aluminum medical case from the Gulf War that is tacticool and perfect to carry the equipment. I plan to sell it as a packaged SHTField hospital for $2K.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Blockstack was the first crypto token approved by the SEC and the first crypto investment of the Harvard endowment. They are a public benefit corporation (like Patagonia) with the goal of creating a new user owned internet. Their motto is a play on Google's

Their network relies on proof of transfer, piggybacking on bitcoin miners who perform proof of work. Stacks token holders lock up their tokens to do this proof of transfer and earn bitcoin as payment. The more people who hold and lock the token, the more secure the network.

To encourage adoption of their Stacks 2.0 launch they will be giving away free STX tokens in the next week or so. They are using the crypto exchange OKCoin to do the airdrop.

Details here http://stx.okcoin.com/

*Not investment advice. Don't buy anything. Free. Those who have been interested but hesitant about crypto, an opportunity to learn. Those who are interested in talking back the internet, an opportunity to participate. Something from nothing.

More details here: https://www.coindesk.com/okcoin-blockstack-stx-listing

Ego

Post by Ego »

Today several tenants were moving out. The woman who cleans the building happened to be here and spent nearly two hours digging though the trash bins after she finished her work. She was exited to show Mrs. Ego the loot she found. One bin had a zip-lock bag filled with a bunch of desk clutter and coins with at least $60. Another bin had a tangle of jewelry. Most was cheap costume jewelry but there was a heavy gold bracelet, another thick silver bracelet and silver earrings. She was wild-eyed with excitement.

Mrs. Ego totaled our expenses for 2020. $6566 pp.

sky

Post by sky »

What does the Blockstack - Stacks token - OKCoin business mean? I signed up but don't understand it.

Ego

Post by Ego »

@sky, good question.

Blockstack created a new base layer for Internet 3.0 on top of the bitcoin blockchain. Kind of the same idea as some of the Ethereum projects, only scalable ;) . You create one (or more) pseudonym(s) and can then use them across every available dapp in ways that the current internet does not allow. For instance, you can speak in one pseudonym, earn in another and use your real name only on official documents. You can use encrypted decentralized storage, remove access to all or part of your data at will, and move your reputation and followers to competing services.

While that is a big deal, it is only one aspect that will change the internet as we know it. Smart contracts are already being used today but their use will soon explode. Even the Fed recognizes the value and is working on their own version along with MIT.

That said, there are other organizations working on similar projects, though most of them are on ETH. I just like this one. Again, I am an idiot so please do not invest in it. Just take the free STX and use them as a gateway to learn.

Ultimately, for good and ill, this is all moving us toward the sovereign individual and the network state.

davtheram12

Post by davtheram12 »

Found a few more thrown out items during my nightly cardio sessions. First was a table saw with all of the accessories and tools. I'm unsure of the brand since it's been covered with a custom dust collecting box. The previous owner also attached it to a metal table and welded locking casters to the legs. As I was looking it over, the owner came out and we had a nice talk about car fabrication and woodworking. It was very refreshing to find someone locally who shares similar interests.

The next item I found was a DeWalt 733 planer with extra replacement blades still new in the packaging. I thought "there's no way someone left this out purposely. This is too good to be true". Spoke to the owner and she was very friendly. Informed me she thought it would be best to leave it out so someone else could find some use out of it. Thanks!

Other items I previously found and subsequently sold were some soft surfboard roof racks ($35), locally made short surfboard with light damage ($20), Stihl chainsaw leather boots ($65) and Ruffwear dog running shoes with socks ($40). All in all, not a bad way to make some extra money :D

Ego

Post by Ego »

Restaurants are going out of business faster than the liquidators can keep up. My friend who buys the contents of restaurants at auction has so much excess stuff he has been giving it away. This week he had a stack of 25lb bags of bread crumbs, boxes full of cured meat and various 7lb. industrial sized cans of foods. He was offended when I told him I didn't really need anything so he insisted, "Here, you like healthy stuff. Take these berries." He wouldn't take no for an answer. I ran them under the sink through a strainer and rinsed off the sugar gelatin. That left about a pound of actual cranberries. Not bad.

Ego

Post by Ego »

One of our favorite tenants is moving out today. Just now I discovered that she left this in front of our door. The magnetic resistance is surprisingly good. It measures watts and heart rate but does not have an output that I can use with zwift. But free is free so there is no loss in giving it a try.

Laura Ingalls

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Found a starbucks cup and a Starbucks gift card on the ground today while going for a walk. Two different locations. Card had $2.75 on it. Though it fit this thread :)

Ego

Post by Ego »

Left by a tenant. Sold in 10 minutes on offerup for $15.

Also one of these...