Something From Nothing Log

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
Ego

Re: Something From Nothing Log

Post by Ego »

In addition to the crates I also bought an Osprey backpack at the swap meet today. I paid semi-real money for it ($30) so I didn't initially post it here. I listed it on craigslist and was taking it down to the batcave when one of the young guys working on water intrusion remediation in our building (we had a big leak) asked if he could take a look at it. As I handed it to him he said he was looking for something similar as he was planning on hiking his second month-long section of the PCT in June. He wore out his old pack last year hiking the first month-long section.

He thought it was my pack and didn't know I was selling it. When I mentioned I had purchased it at the swap meet this morning he got really excited for my find. I told him what I paid and he got even more excited. When I told him he could have it for what I paid, he nearly fell over. He insisted on paying a little more to ensure we were both happy.

One of the reasons I enjoy selling through craigslist rather than ebay is that I get to ride the dreams of the people I meet. This one was extra good in that respect. I guess that is part of the something-from-nothing I got to take away from the transaction. I'm sure I will learn a lot from him in the next few days about hiking the PCT.

I also sold most of the climbing gear to a couple heading to Redrocks next week.

C40, I always try to get bumped but never seem to succeed.
Last edited by Ego on Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

I need new trekking poles. I had these $10 jobs that lasted for 5 years, but they are shot. Let me know if you find some. I find this market grossly inflated.

Ego

Post by Ego »

I'll watch for them.

C40

Post by C40 »

It doesn't happen very often (at least for Southwest Airlines). I'm going to stop listening to music on my headphones while waiting for flights home though because there may have been a lot of times I never heard the requests.

Man that backpack looks really nice for $30.

There's some gear I could use also, but it could be a while before I make out to San Diego, so if you're willing, a month or two before I'll be there, I'll send you a couple things to keep an eye out for.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Absolutely! Shoot me a PM and I'll gladly do so.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Ran into a cyclist friend at the bike swap meet today. I've known him for a few years but never really took the time to talk to him. Turns out he has an interesting story. He is a semi-retired plumber who loves to do day-long cycling events in the Western U.S. He loves the bicycling community and enjoys encouraging others to bike. He is also frugal. These events can be rather expensive so he came up with an interesting win-win-win way to do them for free.

In the months leading up to the ride he contacts the ride organizer and offers his services as a free mobile repair and parts patrol. He carries water, tubes, tires, spokes, chains, tools and a few old cheap universal derailleurs, brakes, brake pads and other stuff like that. Ride organizers are often given a lot of that kind of stuff by the manufacturers for their sag wagon and some donate it to him after the ride. He starts the ride in the back and pedals slowly, bringing up the rear. The extra weight allows him to get a good workout and he meets a lot of people along the way. He's got a good reputation among the organizers and they give him a free entry as well as the extra perks of being a volunteer at the event. But unlike the other volunteers who stand at some faraway corner directing traffic, he actually gets to ride the whole thing.

I thought it was an interesting way to take up an expensive retirement hobby for free. For him, it seems, the community aspect is what he loves most. He found a way to be at the center of this community without spending money.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Mrs. Ego rarely rode her Bike Friday but she rides her Surly Troll everywhere, so we decided to list the Friday for sale on craigslist. Since buying it second-hand four years ago the price for Bike Friday's had increased significantly but her Friday had been custom made for a petite German lady and was very small. We figured it could linger on CL forever but hoped that maybe the right-sized person would come along. I listed it on both the LA and San Diego craigslist with a high asking. It has been listed for a few months now.

Today we got a call from a nice woman who had gotten a quote from the factory for a new Bike Friday so she knew what it was worth. She came, took it for a spin and dropped a wad of cash on us.

The different between what we paid and what we sold it for was $150 short of covering the cost of the Bike Friday and Surly Troll together.

Almost something from noting.

Moral of the story: If you've got something taking up space in your garage that is so unusual that you believe nobody will want it, list it on craigslist for a high price and see if you get any takers.

Ego

Post by Ego »

The move-out this month was a young couple who both work at restaurants and considered themselves foodies. They threw out a really nice espresso machine that works perfectly, a bunch of books and what looks to be an expensive hookah with a case.

We had the opportunity to move from our tiny studio into their larger 1BR apartment. Mrs. Ego looked at the espresso machine and said, "Most people have to work to fill their apartment with stuff. We're going to have to work to keeps ours from filling. We don't need any more room if we don't get more junk. Let's stay in the studio."

I'm going to give the espresso machine to a friend, smash the hookah and use the case as my bike tool kit.

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

Smash the hookah!? Everybody needs a hookah!

Not me, naturally. But everybody else. Still, just put it back in the dumpster and maybe somebody else will grab it.

Ego

Post by Ego »

That's the last thing I want. There are not many things I will purposefully damage, but a hookah is one. :P

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

Saving the caterpillars?

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

I snatched a fuzzy caterpillar (not fuzzy wuzzy) from a blueberry bush and left it on a compost pile...

Kriegsspiel

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Dragline wrote:I need new trekking poles. I had these $10 jobs that lasted for 5 years, but they are shot. Let me know if you find some. I find this market grossly inflated.
I have some Leki Khumbus, do you want them?

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

Yes. Going on 65 mile backpack in July. PM me as to how much you want for them, etc.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Last night at the swap meet a very large guy with a nice car and nice clothes had created a little pile of junk and watched with barely contained disgust as people picked through it. I noticed a Briggs & Riley suitcase next to his trunk and asked him about it.

He spat the words, "Get it out of here for three bucks."

I looked it over. It was a little dirty, had a few scuffs and the roller handle wasn't coming out all the way. I felt pretty confident I could clean it up and fix it. I began to open it up and he said, "Uh uh, if you buy it you've gotta take all that stuff to the dumpster over there." The inside was in great shape and there were a few books and knickknacks, so I shrugged and paid him.

I knew they were expensive but I didn't know just how expensive.
http://www.briggs-riley.com/shop/large- ... le-upright

His Calvin Klein toiletry case was stuffed full of travel accessories. There was a birthday picture of him at Mortons Steak House, ruddy faced and bloated, with three friends. It wasn't until I got home that I looked at the books. As I looked through each of the books I just got sadder and sadder for the poor guy.

[img]hhttps://i.imgur.com/S6wSpHK.jpg[/img]
Last edited by Ego on Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Someone is moving out this weekend. :D

All in perfect condition. Going to craigslist.
Last edited by Ego on Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Forgot to mention that I sold the repaired boots for $40.
Last edited by Ego on Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SavingWithBabies

Post by SavingWithBabies »

Wow! I'm jealous of San Diego. I'm up in Oakland though and you've inspired me to make more of an effort. Here, it is normal to put a box of stuff you don't want on the curb. On my daily walk back from the train, I came across a bunch of boxes. It turned out to be an apartment move out. I snagged a box of things and so far sold a pair of fancy headphones for $60 on eBay. Well, $60 - $5 for the replacement ear pads.

Ego

Re: Something From Nothing

Post by Ego »

@SWB The real pros at this kind of thing sell at the Rose Bowl Swap Meet once a month. There are plenty of people who commute from the Bay Area and make a killing. Apparently you folks have the best high-end stuff in the country. That's where they Nasty Gal girl started scrounging in thrift stores and swap meets. Now her business is worth hundreds of millions. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqBxY-zoFMM
Ego wrote: Image
Sold this painting for $350
Last edited by Ego on Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

llorona

Post by llorona »

@Ego: Thanks so much for the inspiration with this thread! You really got me started. I've netted $2K on eBay over the past three months, including selling some of my childhood possessions that are now considered "vintage."

There's a lot of good stuff in the Bay Area, but wow, competition is fierce. About a month ago, someone in the neighborhood posted an announcement about free stuff. Within ten minutes, two vans full of people were swarming the property and hauling stuff away. I managed to snag this old cast iron Dutch kettle -- cleaned it, seasoned it, and sold it for $35. :D