Something From Nothing Log

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
Ego

Re: Something From Nothing Log

Post by Ego »

Ego wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:11 pm
The cross country movers ran out of room in their car so they left a nearly brand new bike and bike lights. Keeping the lights. I've never been a fan of single speeds so I'm selling the bike.

Sold the bike for $225.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

Ego wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:35 pm
Sold the bike for $225.
🍻

Ego

Post by Ego »

Back in the beginning of the Covid thread I mentioned that I was accumulating the second-hand medical devices and medications for a home-based hospital in case the real hospitals became overwhelmed. In doing so I learned about a whole new area of potential income.

Dead-granny's medical equipment is often the most valuable items in the piles of junk her offspring are trying to unload at the swap meet. Last week I bought a brand new c-pap with two sealed sets of tubes, masks and and connectors. Initially the young woman said, "Take it for a dollar." As much as I wanted to, I couldn't do it so I said, "How about if I give you five." I later learned the insurance company paid $600 for the machine alone. Sold it for $175. I paid a bit more than $5 for this oxygen concentrator with 33,000 hours on the clock. Sold it today to an elderly physician who has a side gig re-certifying and reselling them.

A few weeks ago I added a nearly new (39 hours of use) portable oxygen concentrator to the Ego Hospital for $30, (msrp $3295). I showed it to my new physician friend and told him he could pay me whatever he thought was fair. (cL deodorant problem) He said he'd have to think about it and see if he has anyone who would be interested.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Another Ikea thing left by a tenant. I listed it at $70 assuming the person would negotiate since it sells for $99 new at Ikea. They came and paid full price.

rube

Post by rube »

Lot's of things lately at the "something for nothing Inc." business Ego. Always interesting to see what you came accross.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Hey Rube! This is how it has been since the beginning of covid. I've just found a bit of time to post them here. Societal turmoil churns out lots of waste for us decomposers to feed on. :D

Today I found a pair of Ferragamo cap toe men's shoes for $3. I can't figure out the size as they are not marked so they are tough to sell. Any ideas on how to figure out size? They measure almost exactly 30cm heel to toe.

Ego

Post by Ego »

One of the things I always watch for at the swap meet is a Rimowa carry-on size aluminum rolling suitcase. I could never pay the $1100 Rimowa sells them for and if I am honest I would be too worried about having it stolen from the luggage compartment under the chicken-bus... but that doesn't stop me from lusting after them.

The other day I found a vintage Zero Halliburton carry-on size aluminum case for $10 at the swap. Next best thing? The investment was low enough that I feel okay about cutting into it to add wheels and convert it to a roller. I'd also feel okay about shoving it in the luggage compartment on a chicken-bus. I'm going to watch for a beat-up old Samsonite (or other durable brand) to see if I can scavenge the wheels and trolley handle.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Ego wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:14 pm
Any ideas on how to figure out size? They measure almost exactly 30cm heel to toe.
US men's shoe size = distance from the tip of the big toe to the back of the heel (the back, not the bottom) in inches.

Thus if you can measure inside the shoe, you should be able to get it within 1/2" and thus get the size.

Alternatively, make a cardboard cutoff that fits the shoe, take it to a shoe seller, and match it up with one of the gadgets that measure your foot and gives the size.

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

The old case is cool, I like the ski decals. Id like to imagine it has some crazy stories about skiing in the 80s.

Ego

Post by Ego »

@jacob, thanks! I cut a piece of cardboard and measured 10 1/2". Strange because I didn't think they were bigger than a size 9, but they are very narrow so that may have thrown me off.

@Gilbert, I am sorry to say that my project for the afternoon was removing the stickers. I decided to go full-Airstream finish. I used two quarter-sheets of 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper and a bucket of water to hand sand it to a pretty nice shine. Took about 20 minutes so the whole thing should take a few hours. I'll have to pick up some 1000 grit to finish it off.

Ego

Post by Ego »

When we moved in last October I ran the cable up to our apartment from the office and have free internet. The ISP says it is supposed to be 300mbps but I've run speed tests where I get 50mbps down and 3-5 up while plugged into the modem. I thought about complaining but figured I shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth. Until now.

Google Fiber is coming out to inspect the building for installation. The rep told me they provide complementary one-gigabit-per-second service to property managers as a thank you for encouraging tenants to use the service.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Ego wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:45 pm
One of my tenants is sponsored by TaylorMade. He threw out three clubs.
Sold one of the clubs for $75.

OfferUp has overtaken craigslist as the best local marketplace for this kind of stuff. I get about 8/1 replies and sales from OfferUp/Craigslist

Google Fiber inspected and determined that our building will be easy to install.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Ego wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:13 pm
Mrs. Ego has a drive-by birthday party for a pre-teen relative next weekend. She used the Forever21 card to buy a gift for $27.

I sold a second-hand tent, espresso maker and backpack today. A hiking pole and a backpack yesterday.

On Sunday mornings a friend shows up at the swap meet with a big box full of $1 watches that need new batteries and bands. Every so often there is a gem in there. Today I found this one. I have owned that same watch for years. Now I have two.

Miss Lonelyhearts

Post by Miss Lonelyhearts »

On the ground at the park, lightly caked dirt, double wash, good as new!

hegesippe

Post by hegesippe »

Found this coffee pot for 2 euros yesterday at a garage sale.
This is a coffee pot form Arabia of Finland , the Ruska set by Ulla Procopé It lists for 50-60€ on Ebay so not too bad!

Also found a French oven from Le Creuset designed by Enzo Mari for 2 euros, also lists on Ebay for 60€ but I am keeping that one, very nice to cook with.

Gilberto de Piento

I found a car roof rack on the curb and sold it for $20. I got a set of bottle cages by helping a friend sell their bike and sold those for $10. $30 in free money for more bike parts. :)

Ego, I tried offerup and locally it was nearly filled with fake ads, like 10 fake ads for every real one. Nextdoor and Facebook are decent here but as far as I know there is no way to have a saved search.

Ego

Post by Ego »

@gilberto, offerup has an interesting model. Like craigslist they do not charge a fee for local sales. They also offer an option to sell nationwide with a 10% commission + processing fees (I believe) like ebay (+- 14% commission and processing) and mercari (about the same as ebay) but the bulk of their listings are local pickups. OfferUp has a more instagrammy feel with the photos front and center, and they place ads between the listings but they are usually labeled as ads. Your point about fake ads on offerup is interesting. I've never seen one. I thought that since they vet both buyers and sellers they have far fewer scammers than craigslist. I generally list the same thing on both offerup and craigslist and inevitably get a few text messages from the craigslist ad trying to get me to fall for the verification code scam.

https://botcrawl.com/craigslist-verification-code-scam/

What do you mean by fake ads?

Gilberto de Piento

I mean the ads where the price is too good to be true. For example, "2018 Cadillac Escalade for $4000, don't contact me through the system, send me an email instead" type ads. Pics of the car have ocean and palm trees in the background despite being in northern Minnesota. Usually have random words in the title like "speedometer" for a car ad. There used to be some of these on Craigslist too but it has been awhile.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Interesting! I will have to pay more attention and be on the lookout. Truth be told, I very rarely buy things from OfferUp. I only sell.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Today I picked up this vintage leather bag for $7. It is in great condition but has a few water marks and a sticker mark on the back. Any idea how to get rid of those? Any opinions on whether to change the color with shoe polish or not? Brown? Black?

This type of bag is very common at the swap meet. I generally pass them without a second look but this one appeared to be about the same as the one I saw being carried by the guy in the penthouse who is in my uncultured opinion the ultimate authority on what is cool among people for whom money is no object.

It prompted me to do a little research on ebay and I got lost in this guy's store.

https://www.ebay.com/str/725BeautifulBags-by-Reederang

The prices he gets are unbelievable. I love the way he is selling them as Apple carrying cases. I searched his sold listings and he seems to be selling about $2500 a month through ebay alone. Looks like I've got a new division of Ego Inc.