Something From Nothing Log

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
Ego

Re: Something From Nothing Log

Post by Ego »

This morning I was running the trails in the park with my headlamp and stumbled upon the November Project group getting ready to begin their workout so I jumped in. I've mentioned November Project before but I thought I'd re-introduce it here because it is an organization that is in perfect alignment with Something From Nothing.

https://november-project.com/

They offer free workouts in more than fifty cities. The workouts are well designed so that everyone can participate and everyone can work hard. They are led by volunteers, they spray-paint their logo on any t-shirt you bring (if you want) and they are an unabashed cult of positivism, friendship, kindness and mutual benefit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PngJXTHp2Gw

I did the workout then ran home. I can barely walk but I feel great.

While November Project costs nothing financially, it is not free socially. There is no hiding in the corner. For those who consider themselves less social, it would be a great way to practice social skills in a place full of nice people. If you are single, it is a great place to meet other fit, active singles.

Ego

Post by Ego »

I listed the fold-out-bed-ottoman for $130. Got a bunch of interest but no buyers yet.

Today I bought this for $50

As I was loading it into the car (btw, Honda Fits are amazing in their cargo capacity) I noticed the Drexel imprint on the bottom. Mrs. Ego found one online had sold for $1185.

My original intention was to do a quick refinish on the table. Now I will be much more careful.

Normally we allow the style of our apartment to happen by way of serendipity. It looks like we are going to be living in the 60s this time around.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Sold the ottoman/chair/bed for $100 to a nice Filipino couple who was expecting visitors over the holidays.

I refinished the table. It was a pain in the ass to sand. A previous owner of the table used it as a cutting board for a while then covered it with a think coat of dark stain and nuclear strength varnish. I burned through five sheets of 60 grit sandpaper to get below the original finish and the cut marks. There was a can of stain in the paint trash pile that had about a 1/2 inch of stain in the bottom. It was just enough. I am going to have to purchase satin finish polyurethane (second hand) as we only have varnish in the trash pile and that's too shiny for this project.

I enjoy refinishing. It feels a little like bringing something back to life.

We also bought three chairs for $40. Mrs. Ego wants to refinish these.

.... and that brought us back to exactly zero if you don't count the sheets of sandpaper which I already had.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Very nice. Having some space available where you can work on such projects would obviously be a strong positive secondary effect of apartment complex facility manager job. Usually this is a strong negative for renting vs. owning.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Very true. I've got more space than I can use down there. There is a seller at the swap meet who has his small van setup as a mobile workshop and does refinishing while he is selling. Back when we rented an apartment I parked my van in the corner of a parking lot to refinish a few pieces.

We are hosting Thanksgiving so we will need the table. I am tempted to list it for an absurd price just after and see if someone caught up in the Christmas frenzy decides they need it.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Found an Excalibur 5-tray food dehydrator for $7 this morning. Listed it for $85.

Also found a Beyond Clothing Axios A6 Gore-tex rain jacket for $20.

https://beyondclothing.com/collections/ ... 4292872909

It has lots of stains, some from gun oil, so I am going to put my stain removal techniques to the test.

It is my size so if I get it relatively clean I am going to keep it and sell my Arc'teryx jacket which has no stains.

Also bought this Ikea storage thing with bins for my closet for $5.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

What is that site/app that you are using? It doesn't seem like it's Craigslist. Are you finding better deals on there?

Ego

Post by Ego »

https://offerup.com

The deals are about the same as craigslist. It is easier to sell on offerup as the buyers are somewhat more vetted than craigslist.

The jacket and dehydrator are from the swap meet.

I used some Zap carpet cleaner and elbow grease on the jacket and it looked okay so I tossed it in the laundry. I hope it comes out stain free.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

This whole stain + poly cut me deeply, but I can't say I haven't done the same to virgin pine.

I think the key/functional lesson here is that as long as your furniture is [made out of] real wood, you can refresh it in whatever flavor you want until you run out of saw/wood dust. Once upon a time, I worried about "using up my good stuff"; then I decided to wear it [out].

Ego

Post by Ego »

@jacob, do you prefer wood without stain?

The jacket came out almost perfect so I listed it for sale...

The carpet cleaner is Zep not Zap

Also going to sell the Arcteryx jacket

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

@Ego:

There are different schools of refinishing. Since I once lived in giant money-pit of an old house with acreage of wood trim originally finished in Victorian Mahogany style, I quickly adopted the least effort for most effect Formby school. Basically, all you do is gently dissolve the old finish then rub it around until it looks good enough through squinted eyes. However, I did put down nearly boat-deck indestructible poly on the floors most frequented by muddy boots, young children and puppies.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Ah, yeah, in hindsight I probably should have used stripper. I just hate the gloppy mess it makes.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

@Ego - Technically stain is supposed to enhance the wood rather than make it look like something else. E.g. use "white oak"-stain on white oak and so on. I realize this is a "do as I say, not as I do"-thing. (See my recent post on GRS). I use poly on stuff that will come into contact with water or see heavy use. If it has to look nice, I use 2-4 coats of shellac depending on how shiny I want it. Poly has a tendency to look yellowish when layered up.

What I wanted to say is that with an expensive hardwood table, stain+poly will probably take some resale value off. Of course, it depends on who buys it :)

Ego

Post by Ego »

jacob wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:54 am
What I wanted to say is that with an expensive hardwood table, stain+poly will probably take some resale value off. Of course, it depends on who buys it :)
Ah, now your hitting me where it hurts with the resale value... :D

The design of the table is Danish Mid-Century. When I look at others they seem to have a non-glossy finish. What protective coating would you use to accomplish that? I've got varnish, shellac and semi-gloss poly in the basement. I would rather not have to buy something if I can avoid it.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Ideally, Watco Danish oil ... but given the choice between the three, I'd pick shellac. If possible, sand the table up to 200+ before beginning. After each coat, swipe all the surfaces once with sandpaper to take off the "hair" (raised woodgrain)---not more than once or you'll sand the shellac right off again. To avoid the gloss, stop at two coats; three coats result in a semi-gloss; and four is glossy.

To clean the shellac out of the brush, use ammonia.

Danish oil is a mix of varnish and oil. I don't know what your varnish is. I wouldn't put anything on that's designed for boats :-D

Ego

Post by Ego »

Okay, this is what we've got to choose from....

I used the gunstock finish for the first coat. I would prefer not buying anything if possible. Could I clean a shellacked brush with turpentine?

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

I only recognize some of these/can't read the labels. The shellac is exactly what I use.

I don't think turpentine will work for cleaning shellac. Alcohol would work if you have that.

Ego

Post by Ego »

@jacob, thank you for the advice.

Okay, I went with the polyurethane because it is more durable and I sometimes forget to use a coaster when setting a drink down. I don''t want to sand out wet rings. I applied two thin coats. It came out.... meh... okay. Not spectacular. Not terrible. Good enough.

ETA: Geeze... these photos are terrible. They looked better on my phone.

With both leafs down it is a nice two person table, or for four with one leaf up, or as many as ten with both leafs up. It suits the apartment well. Convertible.

I bought the stools yesterday for $7.50 each so I am digging myself deeper in the hole. Gotta sell something.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Lovely. Now you just need something green and growing (since this is already visible through the window, just a small token connecting to the indoors could serve), signs of an interesting project in process (could be as simple as a book marked at spot), and a colorful piece of art to complete the tableau. Given your level of skill, this level up should cost you no more than 79 cents max :lol:

Ego

Post by Ego »

Ego wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:11 pm
The only interesting thing is the Singer sewing box I got for $5. I usually buy a dead-grandma box like this each time we come back and use the supplies to repair my inventory. This time I had trouble finding one. Not sure if it is because grandmas no longer keep boxes like these, full of stray buttons, thread, needles, zippers, and a wide variety of problem solvers.

This box even had a Singer Handi-stitch in the bottom.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G05dWewvEK4
We sold our box last year but kept the Singer Handi-stitch and some of the more valuable contents. We are now in the market for a new one. I saw this yesterday but did not buy it because it was full of thread and not much else. It seems the inflation rate on dead-grandma boxes is high.