Something From Nothing Log

What skills to learn, what tools to get
davtheram12

Re: Something From Nothing Log

Post by davtheram12 »

Went on a walk today with my mother in law. We came across someone's front lawn filled with random stuff. Half was listed as FREE items and the other half was filled with reasonably priced items. It wasn't necessarily a yard sale but the homeowner was just unloaded his garage crap.

I took at least 10 Hawaiian style button up shirts, a kids Burton snowboard + bindings, a Weight Watchers scale, and an empty medical grade oxygen tank + 4 sealed nasal cannula packages. Already have someone willing to buy the snowboard for $55 on OfferUp, gave the Hawaiian shirts to my uncle-in law, and gave the scale to my wife's grandmother. It was a nice day :P

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

Not as fruitful as dtr above, but i found 3 mugs at the dumpster today. nice.

davtheram12

Post by davtheram12 »

ertyu wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:03 am
Not as fruitful as dtr above, but i found 3 mugs at the dumpster today. nice.
I love finding free mugs! My DW has a fascination for them so you likely scored items that would make someone ecstatic. I know she would be pleased.

davtheram12

Post by davtheram12 »

Sold four items this past week, three of which sold within 24 hours of finding them during a walk. Sold a medical grade oxygen tank with new nasal cannula tubes ($50), a vintage SILCA Italian bike pump ($25), a kids Burton snowboard + Burton bindings ($55), and a SHOEI motorcycle helmet ($50). I used the proceeds to upgrade my cellphone. Current cellphone is still useable but will occasionally bug out. Glad I was able to use trash finds to fund the purchase :D

Stasher

Post by Stasher »

I sold an older synthetic sleeping bag ($125) and an older inflatable backpacking sleep pad ($95) to cover the cost of a new inflatable pad that is half the wight and twice as warm ($210). My backpacking gear is my number one investment in physical & mental health so to upgrade to get to the next level of ultralight and comfort that is a win for me. I am working hard on clearing through my mountaineering/backpacking gear to have ONLY what I truly use and sell the rest, much like we do for our daily lives in the pursuit of ERE goals.

davtheram12

Post by davtheram12 »

Had a great day of selling more trash. Scheduled with two buyers yesterday morning. The first buyer bought a pair of ANHU hiking shoes and a set of 10lb olympic bumper plates. Met him at the whole foods grocery store and sold those items to him for $55. I had about 30 minutes before I needed to meet the next buyer so I decided to walk back to my apartment through the alleyway. Came across a blue 50 gallon rubbermaid recycle trash can in like-new condition. Someone taped a printed note stating "free to take" so I took it. Rolled it back to my apartment, took some photos and listed it for $25. At that point I needed to walk back to Whole Foods to meet the next buyer. Upon arrival I and find out he was going to be late. Fair enough with LA traffic.

I decided to go for a walk in the neighborhood to knock out some light cardio. Within minutes I came across a new Velodyne MiniVee subwoofer in the original box. Msrp sold listings were priced at $700 so I conservatively listed this unit for $200 on OfferUp. Eventually met up with the second buyer and sold a medical grade body fat caliper to him for $30. I started heading back to my apartment and the previously listed recycle trashcan already had an interested buyer. She came within minutes of messaging me and picked it up.

Later that same day I lined up another meeting with a fourth buyer for the subwoofer. Sold it to him for $180. So $290 in sales. Definitely my largest day in sales and quickest turnaround time for a listed item. I know I'm cutting into profit margins since I'm listing things so inexpensively but I can't beat 100% profits in things I find. It may be time to start listing things on ebay :P

Ego

Post by Ego »

In the original box! Nice! You live in a very fruitful neighborhood.

Ego

Post by Ego »

A few months ago I bought an unframed old painting for $5 (practically nothing) at the swap meet. I tried to decipher the signature using the free online resources and showed it to my art friend. The signature and style looked similar to a moderately famous 19th century painter but there was one letter that looked different. Together we came to the lukewarm conclusion that it was not the famous painter so I put it in the pile in the basement destined for resale at the swap meet. Then a few weeks ago I found a perfect matching frame for $5 at the swap meet. Painting and frame together made it very nice so I listed it on craigslist. Another friend saw my listing and spent a few hours on one of the paid art research sites to which she subscribes. She sent me signature samples from the site showing that it was indeed the famous artist.

Today I submitted it to Christie's.

ETA, I also submitted the Italian table to Sotheby's.