Indoor food growing advice

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
refaelsh

Indoor food growing advice

Post by refaelsh »

Hello all,

I need advice please. I live in Israel, and land here is very expansive. To buy land and build Your own house (with a garden) is extremity expansive.
So I have a flat. But I do want to grow My own food, but I don't have a garden.
Google is full of posts/sites/blogs on how to grow food in a small garden behind You house.
Can somebody suggests a good book/site/blog on how to grow food indoors?

Thanks.

7Wannabe5

Re: Indoor food growing advice

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

If you have any outdoor or balcony space at all, I would recommend this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Permaculture-Pots ... 185623097X

This is a large-scale example of what I think is the best indoor food system if you eat fish. You could create a similar system with meat rabbits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTwTI0csPdM

refaelsh

Post by refaelsh »

7Wannabe5 wrote:If you have any outdoor or balcony space at all, I would recommend this book:
Unfortunately, no outdoor/balcony space what soever.

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

I've had good luck growing herbs in a sunny window but I've never tried anything bigger than that in the house.

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

I too have managed herbs. Also chili and bell pepper plants.... But they were eventually moved to a balcony. Can you install windows boxes under windows?

bristoldude

Post by bristoldude »

Wow, the Omega Garden is really cool!

$2000 for the single unit though, I'm going to have to calculate how long that would take to pay itself back..
What would be the running costs associated with that sort of system, outside of the electric?

Eureka

Post by Eureka »

What about growing sprouts? It is so easy, does not require any extra space, only takes a few days, is absolutely delicious and increases the biomass of your seeds/beans/grains a lot. The sprouts are full of good nutrients and very cheap if you grow them yourself.

I do always have one or two kinds of sprouts growing at a time, my favourites are mung beans, lentils, broccoli and sun flower. You really just need a jar or some other container and clean water.

There are many web pages explaining how to sprout: This one looks ok

sky

Post by sky »

I experimented with growing lettuce in a basement under shop lights. I was able to produce a continuous harvest of one lettuce plant a day, enough for a modest salad, in a 2 foot by 8 foot area under fluorescent lights, using hydroponics. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbh1nVv5eX8

thrifty++

Post by thrifty++ »

I grew some food for a while on an apartment balcony. But with the small use of space and the absence of natural soil that it ended up being much more expensive than buying food.
Joining a community garden could possibly be a much more cost effective idea if they have them where you live.