Yogurt Making

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
SF

Post by SF »

I enjoy yogurt, and I'd like to make it myself. In fact, I have done so, but the results aren't consistent. Sometimes it's really great, sometimes it is thin, lumpy, or sour (but still quite edible).
I think the problem could be 1) heating it too much on the stove and/or 2) letting it cool too much while fermenting.
Does anyone have hints, without using a yogurt maker?
(I've found this site which I haven't yet tried.)

AnneBentham

Post by AnneBentham »

Do you have a crock pot? This is how my friend makes it.

beany

Post by beany »

I boil it, let it cool down to warm, add culture and cover the dish and stick it in the oven. I do it before going to bed, so it is ready in the morning. If not, I warm up the mixture again and stick back in the oven. This has never failed me.
One tip, I use whole milk. None of that fat-free, 2% stuff for me. :)

mike

Post by mike »

The way I do it:
- Heat 1- 1.5 gallon of whole milk (~$2.6/gallon) in the crock pot (4hr setting) for 3-4 hrs.
- Let cool for like ~45 mins
- Add culture (after trying various yogurts, settled on cultures from FAGE yogurt as the best - it is a thick Greek yogurt and makes for fairly thick, creamy and non-sour yogurt)
- Let sit for 4-5 hrs on no heat.
- Yogurt is ready. Sometimes I will add some cream to the milk to make yogurt richer.

Surio

Post by Surio »

My way of preparing curds/yogurt is doing this:

Heat milk till it boils over, let it cool it all the way to warm enough - warm enough for you to dip your little finger (pinky) in it and hum "Dum-dee-da-dee-dum-dee-dum" 5 times and not feel uncomfortable (not uncomfortable with the humming part, but the finger should not feel uncomfortable ;-) ).
Then add a tbsp of yogurt from the previous batch, even from the shop purchased one(*). Mix well and keep the mixture undisturbed (this is important) on top of the refrigirator or some such heat releasing item, close to where you see the heat is escaping - typically the rear of the fridge. This fridge escaped waste-heat and left undisturbed, usually prepares the yogurt in 4-5 hours straight. The batch is always consistently thick and creamy for me. Sometimes, people suggest adding 1 tbsp of milk powder (skimmed or anything for that matter) and this thickens the yogurt to no end
(*)It's worked a charm for several generations now and there's no need to buy any separate culture for this.
Most of these tips are passed on from one generation to the other. Indeed, here's a link to Kurma Dasa (Oz Chef), who discusses mostly what I've mentioned above. Methinks,he likely got the ideas passed on to him, from his time spent extensively in Vrindavan, India.
"The Real Deal - Homemade Yogurt" - http://www.iskcon.net.au/kurma/2010/01/08#a7316
Best,

Surio.

---