HAM Radio anyone?

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

HAM Radio anyone?

Post by jacob »

Lets get a count ...

Technician (no code) here.

PS: In case of [Chicago] locals, any CB?

George the original one

Re: HAM Radio anyone?

Post by George the original one »

Novice obtained 1979ish, expired in the '80s, I think. Internet took over my interests. Back then, code was required for all licenses.

sky

Post by sky »

General. I like 20 meter phone, PSK and 40 meter QRP CW. Not currently set up to operate. My dipole fell down after a storm.

Kenwood TS-130 and a SW+ 40 m QRP CW rig that I built from a kit. I use homemade resonant dipoles with no tuner, hung up in trees using fishing line.

I am mostly a listener, occasionally transmitting.

I also listen to the noise on chicken band now and then.

steelerfan

Post by steelerfan »

sky wrote:General. I like 20 meter phone, PSK and 40 meter QRP CW. Not currently set up to operate. My dipole fell down after a storm.

Kenwood TS-130 and a SW+ 40 m QRP CW rig that I built from a kit. I use homemade resonant dipoles with no tuner, hung up in trees using fishing line.

I am mostly a listener, occasionally transmitting.

I also listen to the noise on chicken band now and then.
Embarassing confession!

General here also - I have a also ts-130SE and a FT-450 as well as various VHF/UHF equipment. I have several old Heathkit rigs as well. No code but I practice sporadically. To be honest, I never really have used my HF gear and am embarrassed at my lack of competence. As a general and more so an extra licensee I think you need to exhibit and be able to apply knowledge. I could always pass the extra test but don't feel that I am deserving of the privleges. As a non-engineer I have a problem with always feeling like the dumbest guy on the air and there are people on the air that will be happy to run you off. I guess that is why packet and psk appeal to me as a future direction if I ever get active again. Mostly use the tech stuff HTs and my mobile rig (for APRS) in my car. In denver the repeaters often sound very cb like and a bunch of old men - well older than me!

luxagraf

Post by luxagraf »

I just bought a '69 dodge travco with a box full of CB and possibly some Ham stuff in the closet. Does that count? :D

I was actually looking at the tangle of wires this morning wondering if anyone was still out there broadcasting.

sky

Post by sky »

Wow, you are brave buying an old Travco!

AnalyticalEngine

Post by AnalyticalEngine »

This topic is way old, but I want to revive it because I'm planning to take the technician test soon. Anyone else here have a license?