Radishes!

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Radishes!

Post by jacob »

If the first step of successful gardening is growing radishes, I've graduated. Since I now have pounds of them, what am I going to do with them? Any recipes beyond "slice them up and put them on salad"?

Chris

Re: Radishes!

Post by Chris »

You could shred them into a slaw.

Mashed potatoes are accept turnips and radishes as friends. Not sure what a good potato:radish ratio is though.

cheese

Post by cheese »

You could also try (quick) pickling them! I'd recommend using rice vinegar (delicious) but you can probably use whatever vinegar you have sitting around. I also prefer cutting them into chunks rather than slicing them or using a mandoline.

Example recipe:
http://www.food.com/recipe/pickled-radishes-118828

I tried growing radishes this year/last year but I have yet to harvest any large enough to brag about... Plenty of radish greens though!

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

@cheese - What would the pickled radishes be good for? We (DW, that is, ha!) will do the science experiment ... but I'm probably the guinea pig who'll be eating them.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Pickle them or if you still have too many left unharvested, you can try letting them go to flower and then using the seedpod in stir-fry. Once pickled they go well with something-like-pot-stickers. Something like pot-stickers is one of the best things to make from a fish like carp. So if all you have is radishes from the garden and some bottom-feeder fish and a little bit of flour and oil and vinegar and spice...

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

eat them raw! Like a baby apple! :mrgreen:

cheese

Post by cheese »

@jacob The following link (with pics/video) suggests pairing with fried chicken/other greasy food but I mostly just snack on them. She uses a daikon radish but you can make the same thing with garden-variety radishes.

http://aeriskitchen.com/2011/03/korean- ... d-chicken/

slimicy

Post by slimicy »

Radishes are great sliced thin and sauteed in butter.

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

Agreed on pickling or sautéing them. I've seen pickled radishes used as a garnish at Mexican and Thai restaurants. Sautéd, they lose most of their spiciness and are good as a dinner side dish, e.g. http://www.marthastewart.com/312469/sauteed-radishes

Chad

Post by Chad »

Of all the vegetables to have a green thumb with. :cry:

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Indeed, the easiest vegetable to grow also happens to be the least(?!) desirable.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Hehe, turnips, I'll get right on that https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAaWvVFERVA
Currently, DW is growing potatoes in an old coffee burlap sack. For the fun of it.

I think I need to start posting in the gardening log as soon as I figure out a nice way to store pics.

Probably on the ERE server :P

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

I would say stick a sign out front ' $1 / bunch fresh radishes!'.
jacob wrote:Indeed, the easiest vegetable to grow also happens to be the least(?!) desirable.
I can grow almost everything BUT a good radish, so they are not the easiest! Not sure what it is about them but they never bulb up for me. :(

Edit - However, I can grow rat tails quite well and they are tastier than a radish. :)

sky

Post by sky »

Radishes taste great, just eat them raw.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

The taste of radishes very much depends on how much water they were fed. If they were water-starved, they get bitter.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

Roast them. We just got a pile of them from the CSA and are having a radish festival.

http://www.thekitchn.com/roasted-radish ... ife-215614

Roast brussel sprouts, too.

llorona

Post by llorona »

If they 're not bitter, you can slice radishes very thinly and eat them raw on bread with butter and salt.

You could try pickling them and using them on banh mi (Vietnamese sandwich).

They also taste really nice in a tossed green salad with balsamic vinegar.

C40

Post by C40 »

Imgur.com is very easy to use (to store pictures)

Next - grow something that you're excited about. Don't worry much about how hard it supposedly is (other than if it won't grow well in your region) - vegetables are all pretty easy to grow.

Solvent

Post by Solvent »

I never much used radishes until I moved to Europe, but around here they abound in every market so I had to try them a little more. They're good when pickled. I use this recipe, basically. But I just use the small thumb-shaped radishes and pickle them whole, with hot liquid. I also add some caraway seeds to the liquid. You can be creative.

Once pickled, they're great on sandwiches and in salads. Try them with grilled cheese on toast.

Of course, they're fine raw in salads or sandwiches as well. They're also good to bake into a vegetable pie or a cornish pasty.

EdithKeeler

Post by EdithKeeler »

Radish sandwiches with goat cheese and cream cheese mixed with dill.
Sliced radishes on homemade bread with butter--a favorite snack of my grandfather's.

Supposedly radishes eaten with beer can allow you to drink more beer--it's a German thing (again, according to my German grandfather)