Garden Log

What skills to learn, what tools to get
7Wannabe5

Re: Garden Log

Post by 7Wannabe5 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:29 am

@jennypenny:

Add a carnivorous predator to your eco-system? For better or worse, I have a troupe of homeless city cats semi-occupying my garden and my cherries and berries are unmolested.

My garden is going gang-busters. I am eating mixed mess of greens (mustard, radish, turnip, lamb's quarter, garlic scapes, etc.) on rice for dinner every night lately. Only strawberries on the fruit front thus far, but black currants, sour cherries, and blueberries are coming soon. My apricots bloomed, but did not set fruit. All the bramble berries are doing very well, and so far, so good on the apples. The asparagus bed looks pathetic, with just one solo spear dead center.

I am desperately trying to wrap up moving my mother into new senior apartment with assisted living help available, so that I will no longer be in the ridiculous position of trying to maintain a huge garden located 45 minutes away.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 73

Post by jacob » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:49 am

7Wannabe5 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:29 am
Add a carnivorous predator to your eco-system? For better or worse, I have a troupe of homeless city cats semi-occupying my garden and my cherries and berries are unmolested.
Please don't. Random link https://www.allaboutbirds.org/faq-outdo ... -on-birds/

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 73

Post by jacob » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:17 am

Reminder, I still have a ton of permies gift codes from the kickstarter to give away. I plonked in $100 so I have codes up to that level. PM me and let me know which ones you want. You need an account on permies.com to access them.

Lemur

Post by Lemur » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:56 am

Ego wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:53 pm
We used a fake owl to scare away pigeons.
Wondering if this will work for groundhogs....

Ego

Post by Ego » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:50 am

@Lumur, it might work. This is the one we purchased.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx2XggUq3-A

If I were spending my own money, I would make one.

George the original one

Post by George the original one » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:54 pm

The neighbors aggressively feed birds which seems to result in the birds being so full that they leave my fruit alone. Strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, and apples all survive unmolested by robins, pigeons, bluejays, crows, starlings, & goldfinches. The crows do eat exposed potatoes during the winter.

Cherries might be a different matter. Before expanding the garden, the existing cherry trees bore hardly any fruit to maturity and I always blamed that on the birds, but can't be certain. Since the trees were in the way of garden expansion, I sacrificed them for firewood years ago. I plan on creating a Belgian fence of cherry trees, but that's still a few years in the future.

George the original one

Post by George the original one » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:41 pm

What was green has turned red after a couple hot days. First berries of the season!

P.S. Picked the first peas today, too.