Garden Log

What skills to learn, what tools to get
George the original one

Re: Garden Log

Post by George the original one » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:27 pm

Speaking of trees, the Raintree catalog arrived today and like any kid at christmas, I've already marked the items I'll be buying :lol:

Back on Jan 2, I began an experiment by planting carrot seed inside a tiny coldframe and outside it as a control. Yes, this was at least 2 months before I usually plant anything, but the state ag office says good results are possible here on the coast. Am a little disappointed because so far nothing has sprouted inside the coldframe despite the soil temp in there averaging about 50F, but, well, you never know how far to push the gardening envelope until you try.

In a larger coldframe, I planted green onion seed a few days ago to make up for not planting it in Aug or Sep.

Carrots holding from last year are doing fine. Garlic is 6" tall; I've always planted it in November and this year was no exception, but I might try earlier next year to see if a bit more growth before winter dormancy is helpful.

Cheepnis

Post by Cheepnis » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:59 pm

This will be my 4th season having a garden. I've got two 4x8 beds in the backyard, four 2x2 tomato beds, and a 18"x6' bed I made out of a few pallots. Success rate has been pretty spotty so far. Last year was best for tomatoes, but terrible for carrots (which did great the first two years). First year I had a ridiculous amount of green beans and haven't been able to replicate that success since. 2nd year I tried zucchini and cucumbers which came in strong and last year only a couple vege's per plant.

Haven't figured out cabbage yet, they have failed all 3 years with giant holes all over them. I'm looking at doing potatoes and radishes for the first time this year, give another go at snap peas (which did pretty good last year), and maybe some spinach too.

George the original one

Post by George the original one » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:37 am

It's going to be a long February. Polar vortex effects appear relentless... 10-day forecast is a repeat of the previous 10-days, with no evidence of letting up. More snow coming this weekend while the 5" of snow that's been in shade has not yet melted.

The Jan 2 carrot experiment failed. I think only one or two seeds sprouted and since a part of the polar vortex formed over the Pacific Northwest, those few sprouts died and the ground has been too frozen to try again. Haven't been able to check on the unprotected overwintered carrots as the snow is on top and the ground frozen.

The Jan 20 green onion seeds have sprouted in their cold frame despite nightly lows in the 20-25F range for the past 1.5 weeks. Haven't broken above 40F during the days. Apparently I can be fairly aggressive with these!