Fixing Washer- The Cheat Code

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
Seneca

Fixing Washer- The Cheat Code

Post by Seneca »

My relatively new washer started with an error code Friday, something along the lines of tub fill. After making sure the drain and water supply were solid I decided I'd have to dive in.

The owner's manual is patently useless, but I figured I'd be able to find what I needed trolling the web.

Happily when I pulled the top panel off the washer, stuck to the bottom side was the "For Service Technician's Use Only" documentation with troubleshooting info, schematics etc etc. This booklet was well put together, written in english as a first language, and would allow anyone with basic skills and tools to repair anything worth repairing in the washer. I've never had a washer break before so I'm not sure if this is normal, but I figured it might be good for y'all to know that this might be in there, and not waste time on the web first like I did. 8-)

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Re: Fixing Washer- The Cheat Code

Post by jacob »

Nice find!

I must admit that I have a strong affinity for technology where the "error code" is a broken spring or a leaky valve. I like technology where I (layman) can see what's going on. I think that is durable technology.

I posted the kids vs walkman video lately which I think illustrates the (or my) problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk_vV-JRZ6E

It's also funny that it has a disclaimer: "Don't touch this you consumer. Professionals only!" I'm guessing including such a booklet is temporary. Soon you'd need a $2000 diagnostic computer to hook into a special port on the washer to see what's wrong with it.

Seneca

Post by Seneca »

jacob wrote:Nice find!

I must admit that I have a strong affinity for technology where the "error code" is a broken spring or a leaky valve. I like technology where I (layman) can see what's going on. I think that is durable technology.
I wonder what the market for a steampunk washer would look like? That'd be an interesting post-FI project. The marketing would sure be fun.

I could argue that I'm not a electronic layman, reading schematics, fixing broken PCB traces, changing connectors and swapping chips on board are well within my comfort zone…I did this sort of stuff for a living for a long time in our lab. But the reality is, none of that really matters because this is a topic my wife is totally inflexible on, especially since the baby. ;)
It's also funny that it has a disclaimer: "Don't touch this you consumer. Professionals only!" I'm guessing including such a booklet is temporary. Soon you'd need a $2000 diagnostic computer to hook into a special port on the washer to see what's wrong with it.
Lawyer-ese. :lol: It's like your discussion of electrolysis in your book. With the covers off the malfunctioning machine plugged in, and water turned on, you could hurt or electrocute yourself.

A friend of mine's dad has the manual for his Ford Model T. It's a fascinating, awesome read. They tell you how to repair lead crank bearings as an example. No pages where the warnings and cautions cover more of the paper than information regarding the actual product.

ohcanada

Post by ohcanada »

My error code was useless, but once I realized the problem was that water wasn't leaving at the endo of cycle, I just had to take it apart and check for a clog. When there was no clog, I bought a new drain motor and the problem was fixed. Unfortunately I am nowhere near competent enough to fix an actual drain motor - in the end it only cost $40 in parts and several hours labor (teaching myself how washing machines work! Next time it will be much quicker.)

Once the box was open it wasn't very different from building a PC.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

Mine is so old there is no "code" but when I got inside I did find a schematic hidden in there. By wiggling some wires I was able to ascertain one of the relays was intermittent (the one senses the "tub full" state and engages the motor). From the schematic I was able to get a part number, and although it took some work, I was able to get a replacement for $32. Repair guy charges $75 just to drive over and take a look, so that day was a win.

Seneca

Post by Seneca »

Great, see I wish I'd known these are in there as a matter of course!

Mine actually has a no kidding cheat code, you have to press a combo of buttons at the right time to put the "computer" in to diagnostic mode where you get manual control of things, superpowers. :)

theprincereturns

Post by theprincereturns »

Nice. My last washer rusted out through the bottom ;-) not quite as easy to replace that part.

brighteye

Post by brighteye »

I am still looking for an image to show you how it looks, but there are washing machines that are powered by you pedaling on a bike.
Duh, all that is needed is to search for "washing machine bicycle powered".