Deodorant alternatives?

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
il-besa

Post by il-besa »

OK guys,

maybe I'm going insane here, but did you find a good alternative to the daily deodorant shot to keep yourself fresh enough??
:)

Thanks!

D

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

There are the crystal salt deodorant sticks... I've been using them for years. Work great for me, GF said didn't work for her.
They last forever... They are about $4-7 now. I paid $2 a stick from an Amazon seller a year ago.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

The smell is from bacteria (presumably we're talking armpits here?). Sweat has no smell. Two obvious solutions.
1) Kill them with soap/baking soda/salt/... anything that kills bacteria (but not you).

2) Shave the hair off (Egyptian style).

NYC ERE

Post by NYC ERE »

2nding baking soda--cost < $2 per year, and it's as effective as anything I've ever used (Speed Stick, Tom's).

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

My wife and I tried a recipe of baking soda, oil, and essential oils, and it worked, but dried the bejeezus out of our skin. Has anyone found a recipe that isn't so harsh? Maybe pure baking soda is milder for some reason?

NYC ERE

Post by NYC ERE »

i tend towards the laziest solution--i don't mix my baking soda with anything, not even water. i apply it while still damp after bathing, that's it; haven't had any dry skin issues, nor have i over-applied.

AlexOliver

Post by AlexOliver »

Change your diet. My vegan friends never have any B.O., and they're all in bands where they go 2-3 weeks without showering.

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

@Zev

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

CestLaVie

Post by CestLaVie »

I use the crystal salt too. Works for me, but I don't sweat profusely.

Josh

Post by Josh »

How likely (or unlikely) would crystal salt be to clog the pores in your armpit? I have had some problems with certain deodorants in the past with this.
Also, if you sweat does it wear off fast?

Chris L

Post by Chris L »

Baking soda for sure. Works 100%. Just put a very small amount in your palm after showering. Add a very small amount of water. Lightly brush it over your pits. Wet hand, wipe the area again to get rid of excess baking soda. Never grind it into your pits, it will cause sandpaper burn. Give yourself a few days to get rid of that sticky deoderant mess left on your skin which actually causes bacteria growth by preventing air circulation. I used to stink even with doderant. Trust me, until you shower, it works 100%. No odor, zero. Take a while for your body to start sweating again though and clear everything out. Give it a try - post back.
Try not to get it into the skin fold or you will get an abrasion rash.

Chris L

Post by Chris L »

When you add water, make a liquid paste, runny...

il-besa

Post by il-besa »

thanks guys!!!

I'll try shaving + baking soda and report back :)
D

Chris L

Post by Chris L »

Ooops I forgot! Don't get the cheap kind, it's too gritty, at least I found it to be. The name brand might be twice as expensive but it's still only a few bucks and it's going to last you 6 months anyway!

csdx

Post by csdx »

How much deodorant do people tend to use anyways? I find that a $3 stick lasts me at least half a year, more usually. Am I just not putting on enough, though I feel like tossing on more would just lead to gobs of it hanging around. Also my girlfriend managed to convince me to shave awhile ago, and it does help cut down on odor. May not be the 'manly' option but it works for me (never liked the look that much anyways).

Chris L

Post by Chris L »

If you cut your hair short you can use less shampoo too :)

EU_US

Post by EU_US »

I tried the crystal stick in summer, but it didn't work well.

You smell what you eat.lol

I agree eating healthy and being vegetarian helps with the body odor. Also taking meds makes your body smell.

I found a natural scent free stick that works well. It's large and I paid about $4. Never tried to make my own, but I started washing my hair (long thick hair) with baking soda. It works great.

aquadump

Post by aquadump »

I'm experimenting with baking soda deodorant today. Big day!

Melissa

Post by Melissa »

I mix a little baby powder (I just like the smell) and baking soda to dust all over, works great. I keep a little jar full & powder brush in the bathroom for convenience. Just doing pits then riding to work in the FL summer doesn't work. The only thing it doesn't keep away is onion smell. I have a great recipe for onion soup, but smell horrible the next 2 days after I eat it.

aquadump

Post by aquadump »

I am a convert! I am amazed at how effective baking soda works at preventing odors. To note, it passed the endurance of a sweaty 1 hour run and a 2 hour bike ride!