The Last Cup of Coffee You Will Ever Buy (Make)?

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
NYC ERE

Post by NYC ERE »

Jacob, perhaps you've already done a post on this--my impression is at least that you are a "coffee hacker" and have experimented and researched a fair amount about how to make a great cup. I will admit to Our Dear Cult Leader and all that while moving house, I had a couple of $2 cups of coffee from Starbucks, and man, it was a lot tastier than my Trader Joe's pre-ground stuff.
Since a component of ERE is achieving a maximal quality of life on a minimal budget, I would love to glean some wisdom from y'all about how to do it right. I use high-quality filters and a gadget that provides the immersion of a French press, without the bad stuff. I suspect that the main thing I'm missing is grinding only seconds before brewing--what else?

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Water temperature at 194F and a slow drip. These are the most important factors. Anything you can do to effectuate this.
The difference between freshly roasted (within the last day) and grinding your own is bigger than the difference between grinding your own and buying ground in my opinion. I've had problems achieving a uniform roast using a pan and I haven't managed to get a popcorn machine on freecycle yet. [I actually had a chance, but I didn't want more gadgets].
I suspect the fineness of the grind may also have an effect, but I have no good way of controlling this. Ideas?

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

Anyone ever roast your own beans? I remember Jacob's post and his conclusion it was very difficult to make a consistent cup.
Still, I'm think about getting something like this and seeing how good I can get at it.

NYC ERE

Post by NYC ERE »

@ Johnny Go to sweetmarias.com--they have a whole section on roasting your own, including with the ($5 used) West Bend Poppery II. I used that roaster to great effect in my espresso days. It's really easy and fun. I guess maybe I'll give that a shot again, given Jacob's comment.

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

Thanks Zev, looks like a pretty active community on self roasting... I somewhat agree with Jacob, however. I hate owning kitchen gazinguses that are bulky and have only 1 function.

HSpencer

Post by HSpencer »

I roast beans in an old electric skillet on the back porch,

I can sizzle them over and over with an old spatula my wife gave me. The whole affair looks like something from a hobo camp, but it sure does work well.

I have tried it both with cooking oil and without. Roasting them dry seems the best. I grind them in a cheap Gloria Bean grinder I got for a gift. It works as well as the coffee shops at a fraction of the price which is the point, right?

Melissa

Post by Melissa »

My french press just took a flying leap off the countertop a few days ago. It of course had NOTHING to do with the child trying to "help" the cat down from the top of the refrigerator, but thats besides the point :) I was trying to think of what to do to replace it, so far I've just been using a very fine strainer I got from walmart a while back. It works ok, but lets a little bit too much of the super-fine grounds through and leaves the last few sips a "sludge" in the bottom of the cup. I was looking around and saw this:
http://www.lehmans.com/store/New_Items_ ... 3400?Args=
What do you all think?
I thought it was kinda neat, just not the price tag. Well it's that time of year to build a christmas list, my family just doesn't readily except that I would rather not receive a ton of gifts. which is strange because they seem to accept my small carefully thought out (CHEAP) gifts. Go figure...

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

I guess I prefer standard presses since they don't require filters.

Robert Muir

Post by Robert Muir »

I have a nice french press and even an Aeropress. Both make good cups of coffee, but they use quite a bit of coffee grounds to make a decent cup. For my day-to-day coffee, the best coffee maker I've found is the Cuisinart. As long as you measure consistently, it makes very good coffee with very little waste.

HSpencer

Post by HSpencer »

@ Robert Muir
I have the exact Cuisinart, per your reference, and I use it daily. I agree it is the best of the best in drip coffee. Bar none!!!

Robert Muir

Post by Robert Muir »

My recommendation: pick up some very inexpensive paper filters and toss the "permafilter" that comes with the Cuisinart. The paper cone not only makes it easier to get rid of the grounds, it also filters more of the bitterness out of the coffee.

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

Anyone ever cold brew? It's less acidic, less caffeine and 1 brew batch of concentrate lasts up to 2 weeks, so it might save time as well. Also, it's only cold water on plastic, rather than near boiling.
Seems like it could be accomplished by just dropping a permanent filter, or tea strainer into a mason jar and letting it sit for a day. Anyone have any experience with it?

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

No, but it sounds interesting. For some reason, I like my coffee better cold.

Graybeard

Post by Graybeard »

I've never actually tried cold brewing, but the most delicious coffee I ever tasted was served by a neighbor's Colombian wife (he's now on wife number five or six--not her). She said that in her home they always cold-brewed a thick concentrated coffee and warmed it up with hot water.
I'm not sure how she did it, but it was muy delicioso.

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

Drinking my first cup of cold brew right now... I made it from pre-ground (was hurrying) and made it too weak (only 1/4 cup for ~20 oz water. Although mild, it is very, very smooth and an easy taste.
About a million times less harsh than the carb cleaner we have here at work... A perfect amount of caffeine; very slow acting and not enough to excite.
I bought a Freiling Ultimo 22oz/.65L French Press used on Amazon for $33. I'm glad I waited for a deal on the stainless, because I don't want plastic and I'm confident I would have broken a glass beaker eventually... It appears to be heirloom quality so far.
Got 20oz water with 1/2 cup grinds brewing at home now. I need to get enough of a concentrate so that I can make a hot cup with boiling water... With the weak batch I made, I had to reheat, something I'll want to overcome for daily use.

NYC ERE

Post by NYC ERE »

My more-than-adequate cup of joe for the last few months:
* Trader Joe's espresso grounds

* 2TB organic BPA-free coconut milk waiting in the bottom of a mug

* Melitta #2 plastic drip thing + filter from same, sitting atop said mug
I pour a couple ounces of boiling water from a pot over the grounds at a time, placing the pot back on the burner between pourings.
In other words, medium-quality grounds + high-quality coconut milk = pretty delicious cup.
The caffeine and fat also help me achieve a longer intermittent fast (paleo/warrior), for those interested--I usually don't eat my first meal until 2-3 hours after the coffee, which makes for about a 15-hour fast between dinner and "breakfast."

margomai

Post by margomai »

As it turns out Zev, I am a certified Coffee Master for Starbucks Corporation (they still pay me a pittance though. :P)
So... don't pay for that coffee. Instead, consider the following factors when brewing coffee. (I'll be talking about the French Press, since maximal coffee flavor comes from preservation of natural oils, and French Press does just that.)
Roast - Go to a REAL (not Starbucks) coffee shop, and request some freshly roasted coffee. [It is hard to get consistent roast on self-roasted coffee. Tell me how it goes, though!)
Grind - Conical burr grinder. Grind for your coffee method. Grind 2 minutes or less prior to brewing.

Reasoning: High quality coffee is noted by presence of natural oils. The oils in/on the coffee beans will dissipate with exposure to air [this is why bags are airtight.] Grinding too long before brewing leads to coffee degradation.
I'll leave it as a frugality exercise to acquire a conical burr grinder for cheap. :P
Proportion - For an 8-cup French Press use 1.92 oz of coffee.

Otherwise use 2 TBSP per 6 oz of coffee.
Brewing Method - Paper filter is subpar (the paper absorbs the natural oils present in coffee.) Metal filter is better.

French press is best.
Water - Fresh and filtered. Between 198-202F. Better to err on the 198 side.
Time - For a French Press: 4min
Any questions?

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

Wow... a coffee master, better take advantage! :)
@margomai: Why a conical burr grinder? Looking at amazon they're all huge countertop appliances... Is there anything smaller I can use with similar results for a french press?... Preferably small and non electrical.
Any experience with cold brewing? I want to master it for the lessened caffeine and so I don't have to brew so often (get a concentrate). How many hours for cold brew is best? Some say it starts to degrade after 9, other say it requires at least 12 hours.
Still experimenting on cold brew... Seems like I'm looking for the upper threshold of how much coffee is too much.
Last night I warmed some whole coffee beans in milk. Then I let that sit for 2 hours before making an ice cream with fresh raw milk... It blew my mind, quite possibly the best ice cream I've ever made.

NYC ERE

Post by NYC ERE »

@Margo Thanks for the expert tips! I will tuck them in my back pocket for the day when a conical burr grinder comes up on Freecycle... :)
@Johnny The ice cream sounds incredible. You use an ice cream maker or...?

margomai

Post by margomai »

Interesting idea for the ice cream JhonnyH, sounds great!
Prepare for your Ph.D in coffee :D.
Here's the secret behind everything: the aroma. In general, without aroma/smell, the tasting experience of food is severely blunted. This is even more CRITICAL to coffee.
W.R.T. The burr grinders... burr grinders come in two main flavors. Conical and disc/spherical.
Burr grinders are superior to blade grinders / mortar + pestle

because

a) They result in higher consistency.

b) The grind size can be adjusted easily.
Conical burr grinders are superior to disc/spherical burr grinders because conical burr grinders generate less heat. This is desirable because heat is an enemy of coffee, and degrades aroma.
[This is why some people suggest storing coffee in refrigerators, but in my years of experience, this is bad because refrigerators circulate lots of air, the greater of two evils to coffee, so a room temperature, dark, dry place (like a cabinet, ideally in an airtight container) is the perfect place to store coffee.]
Manual, small, conical burr grinders, eh? I like it, very ERE! Take a look at the Zassenhaus 161MA. It retails around $80. A pricey coffee grinder? Yes. But in Jacob's terms, a "Classic".
W.R.T. Cold brewing... I have minimal experience, but lots of knowledge about it.
Pros: Smooth, low acidity, great for iced coffee(if you don't mind it being less flavorful.) Superior profile if you add hot water *right before* drinking it. Lasts about 2 months if stored correctly (see below).
Cons: Flavor is mitigated if you keep the coffee cold when consuming (like an iced coffee.) Requires storage in an airtight container.
Tips for cold brewing:

Ideal coffee:water ratio... 2:9. That is 1 cup of coffee to 4 1/2 cups water.

Ideal time: 12 hours

Ideal place: Refrigerator, closer to the bottom.
As a parting shot, I explain an inconsistency of brewing; consider the question
"If heat is coffee's enemy, why is coffee brewed hot?"
This is another case of the lesser of two evils.
While heat is an enemy to coffee, the fact that taste is mitigated at low temperatures is a greater evil. Cold brewed coffee has a superior profile (when rapidly reheated), but takes too long for most drinkers, so they hot brew anyways. The difference is negligible in my experience (which, once again, is not much W.R.T. cold brewing).