Bike Gear

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
aquadump

Post by aquadump »

I suggest SKS fenders and Topeak Road Master Blaster full size hand pump, for commuting.
Other than that, I don't have a whole lot of loyalty. Does anyone have favorite bike gear?
I am looking for a new tire now, 700 x 32ish. I am indifferent about my current tires, front Bontrager Hard-Case and Vittoria Randonneur on the rear.

NYC ERE

Post by NYC ERE »

@ Pete I understand that Jacob swears by Mr. Tuffy inside his tires to prevent flats. My bike repair/maintenance bible, "Zinn & the Art of Road Bike Maintenance" says to avoid these. I can heartily recommend Schwalbe Marathon tires--they've got some grip to them and were suggested to me by a seasoned French cycle tourist. Really tough tires--I've had one on my front wheel (2001 Bianchi Imola racing bike) for a loooong time.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Did Zinn give a reason for this?
Mr Tuffy adds rotational weight, but I can run over glass and nails with the cheapest tires I can buy ($9.95) without any problems.

NYC ERE

Post by NYC ERE »

I don't have the book in front of me, Jacob, but he did mention something about rotational weight--however, the main point was that he thought the plastic can sometimes shift and cut into tubes/tires.

aquadump

Post by aquadump »

Ah, I'm in for trying Mr. Tuffy.
@Zev I never cared for weight savings, in regards to commuting. I carry a lunch that is often 50% water, by composition.

NYC ERE

Post by NYC ERE »

I'm about to give Mr. Tuffy a shot. I finally got a flat in my front Schwalbe tire, so time for a new experiment!

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

I very much doubt the plastic will cut into a high pressure tire. It's more likely to stick itself to the inside of the tire (plastic and rubber in close contact). Maybe it'll cut a MTB slick underinflated to 20psi, maybe.
I'd also avoid slime or similar solutions. It may prevent small flats, but it'll definitely prevent you from fixing the flat once you got it.

aquadump

Post by aquadump »

I just saw this: http://www.upcycleyourself.blogspot.com/.
I particularly like the pea plant vine idea.

Bakari

Post by Bakari »

Mr Tuffy won't cut a tube.
The only possible drawback is thinking they are "flat proof" instead of flat resistant, and therefor not carrying a spare (or patch kit) and pump.

Then when you get a flat, your stuck walking.
I have repaired plenty of flats that had tire liners.

(former community bike mechanic)