ERE Coffee

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
NYC ERE

Post by NYC ERE »

I know Jacob is into roasting his beans--I had a similar phase when I was obsessed with espresso--but lately my coffee comes pre-roasted and pre-ground from Trader Joe's. The French Roast and Medium Roast are $3.99/14oz. Can this price be beaten for "good" coffee, roasted or green?
Also, I am lucky to have invested pre-ERE in this and a box of these for easy brewing. If the plastic thing ever breaks, I will give Jacob's paper clip method a shot.

AlexOliver

Post by AlexOliver »

I think the most ERE thing to do regarding coffee is 1) not get addicted to it or 2) break your addiction to it.

HSpencer

Post by HSpencer »

I think you have a great price there at $3.99. While not nearly as cheap, I like Millstone brand beans in flavors and house roast.

I think I pay $6.99 a pound for Millstone at Wally World. You can grind them for free, but I have my own grinder so I take the bag of beans home and put in the freezer till I am ready and take out as I need them. We usually have the flavored in the afternoon. For a great coffee, try "8 O'clock". It is pretty inexpensive and a great color and flavor for a standard coffee.

I am a Folgers guy in the morning however.

Good coffee is one of life's little pleasures for this old guy and giving it up would be tough.

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

I think Alex is correct that not avoiding a caffeine addiction is simplest and cheapest.
I started drinking strong tea in the afternoon instead of coffee. You don't need any equipment for tea, just a source of hot water.
I still have coffee in the morning, but I brew it in a Bodum press that I found at a thrift store. A press doesn't need disposable filters and has no moving parts, so one will last a very long time.

NYC ERE

Post by NYC ERE »

re: addiction. I love coffee, though sometimes I'll quite for a few months. My intake is quite moderate, and the health benefits seem to outweigh the drawbacks. At ~$4/mo. I don't think it's gonna impact ERE too much!

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

Anyone experienced with cold brew? How is it? I like that there is less acidity... Seems like it shouldn't be too hard to make a simple system out of a mason jar and some filters.
I've been thinking about getting a small popcorn maker and just learning how to roast myself.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Coffee stabilizes and increases blood sugar levels and thus prevents snacking. In that regard, it probably reduces one's grocery bill slightly. I find the warrior diet without any food during the day much easier if I had a cup of coffee.
I drink two cups, black, a day, as in measuring cups.
I don't roast myself anymore. I was paying the same for the beans roasted or unroasted and found I couldn't reach the same roast consistency consistently. The caffeine kick of freshly roasted beans is much stronger though.
I now have one of these

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Frieling-Swis ... t/11369126
I use a meat thermometer to heat the water to 194F exactly. This turns out to be the most important part wrt taste.

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

@jacob: very elegant solution... I am thinking about adopting this. Although, I must admit that plastic makes me a little nervous on something I use daily with very hot water.
They have it on Amazon for a little cheaper, with good reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/Swissgold-300-One ... UTF8&s=hpc

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

@JohnnyH - I think it was $15 at Peet's. The trick to fix the short brew time is either to pour in water slowly (well, duh) or, what works equally well, let it sit for 10 minutes after the water appears to have run through---it will still be dripping.

S

Post by S »

I don't like coffee, but I do drink a lot of tea. Loose leaf tea bought at a bulk store seems to be the cheapest way to get decent quality. I have something like this for making tea. Even living in the car I brought my electric kettle with me as a luxury item so I could have good tea every day.

HSpencer

Post by HSpencer »

@S ---- I can get tea in "pearls" which I found when looking for loose leaf tea. We have a Japanese tea set, which I find rather feminine in nature, but like the tea. my wife is a freak on the "aromas" and prefers jasmine where I like a strong black tea instead. She makes the egg rolls and stir fry, and that is when the little glass tea set comes out. It has to be a ritual thing when she drops the pearls in the boiling water and we have to sip it as we savor the aroma :-> (whatever floats her boat you know?)

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

@HSpencer - Maybe DW would be interested in

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_tea_ceremony

It's likely hard to find in the US though. This book gives some more background.

http://www.amazon.com/Living-Japanese-A ... 188065671X (also recommended for anyone interested in substituting budo for consumerism).

Q

Post by Q »

I was hardcore into Japanese culture many years ago (also a source of a lot of clutter on my part), and I always wanted to do a Tea Ceremony...
I am also considering joining the Buddhist ways...
On topic - I buy starbux french roast blend for $15 on sale @ Costco when they have it on sale. 2.5 lbs.
I didn't like 8 o clock at all. I had another coffee recommended based here locally, so, I'll give them a shot and report back.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Smart&Final has some 2 pound bags for $6.99. I don't know if it's good, but in my experience, good taste is 80% in the brewing method.

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

@area girl: I wish I could combine the ceramic, with the permanent gold filter...

blah

Post by blah »

The best coffee ever!

http://killerbeans.com

info@killerbeans.com

(765)423-7400

Awesome stuff!

margomai

Post by margomai »

Good day, everyone.
Although I work at a coffee shop, my recommendation echoes AlexOliver's.
Nonetheless, it all depends on you sensibilities toward coffee. Which level of quality is enough for you? Although Starbucks has trained me to have a very discerning palate, any whole-bean coffee usually works fine for me because (1) I rarely drink coffee (you get sick of it when you spend 8 hours a day near it, right?) and (2) when I do drink coffee, I am usually after the caffeine, so I drink it like one drinks medicine.
So the question remains... are you after the caffeine, or the flavor? My answer is not romantic, but it is what it is. :)

DividendGuy

Post by DividendGuy »

I don't drink coffee, but I have a mild addiction to Coca-Cola...so I'm just as bad off.