Double Yolk Eggs--A great bargain.

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
HSpencer

Post by HSpencer »

This arises from my shock over the "great egg recall" of August 2010.

Some may not know about purchasing local eggs. I eat eggs in several ways and don't want to be without them. I followed the news on the egg recall, and copied down the crate numbers, brands, etc.

Then I thought about buying locally produced eggs from small farmers. You can get brown "double-yolk" eggs from several local raisers. I had never eaten double-yolk. Let me tell you they are a real value!! Maybe not as good for you (lots of yellow yolk) but limit your intake and go with them. I can get a dozen locally for $1.50. I consider it a great deal, I know the chickens are free-roam as I can walk by them on my way to the farmer's sell shop. If you never tried them--I would say your in for a treat. At great prices as well.

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

Good eggs are pure gold... Love that orange yolk runny. They have really spoiled me, store eggs make me gag now... They just plain stink, hard to eat unless they're in something or fried.
$1.50 is a great price on good eggs.
There are tons of studies that show pastured eggs are superior in everything measured...

http://www.eatwild.com/healthbenefits.htm
I see that now the FDA is pushing pasteurizing eggs now too. If it follows the way of the cow, soon that farmer selling your eggs is going to be getting harassed by the FDA!

NYC ERE

Post by NYC ERE »

seconding the pastured eggs--any $1.50/dozen eggs are not going to be safe, nor omega-3/6 balanced.

HSpencer

Post by HSpencer »

As a kid I remember my grandparents raising chickens. Also had a cow. A big garden. Their cellar was full of canned items. At that era you could buy a great many locally grown things. I remember butcher shops, sides of beef, market made sausage.

I think now that the scientists have gotten so involved, our systems are not able to receive this fresh material. I am sure there were cleanliness issues back then, but I also remember how good it tasted.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

@HSpencer
Why do they call them "double-yolk" (I am sure this highlights my egg ignorance)? Do they just raise them longer, I hope they aren't genetically modified (I kid, I kid):) I heard egg yolk is good for eyesight...power on as long as cholesteral is not an issue!

HSpencer

Post by HSpencer »

@Matthew
http://www.poultryhelp.com/oddeggs.html
This site discusses the variations of egg yolks.

It is an oddity, but not uncommon in free range chickens.

Q

Post by Q »

Funny this topic comes up. Costco (or someone) left me an automated message about the eggs I purchased about a month ago - I guess they are part of the recall.
We have already ate more than 3/4 of the 5 dozen pack - but yesterday SO and I were breaking the ones we hard boiled that were left (for tuna salad) and 3 of them were totally rotten smelling! Granted they had sat for awhile in the fridge, but, usually they will still be good.
I guess we'll finish the eggs, as an immune system is what is supposed to help you fight off those infections.
I just sliced my finger today right open pretty good too on some pop-open floor tiles, then cut my arm on some exposed ceiling tile hangars - more for the body to do ;)
The local farmers markets all sell certified organics, and I noticed @ Costco yesterday all the organics nearly gone, so, maybe this egg craze is not such a bad thing. Too bad I really like my eggs over-medium! YUM!

HSpencer

Post by HSpencer »

@Q
If you put the eggs in hot water for a while, and then cook the yolks firmly, the eggs are said to be ok. If you visited an egg producer, you would never eat another egg anyway.

hickchick

Post by hickchick »

@NYC ERE
Why wouldn't $1.50/dozen eggs be safe? I know several people that raise their own chickens and charge $1/dozen. Every once in a while you get one with a blood spot, but you just crack them open separately and get rid of that one.

Q

Post by Q »

I saw the egg producer videos on the news. I've also driven by Harris Ranch off the interstate many times on the way to LA and I guess I am ok.
About 10 years ago maybe, when I was a teenager...I was eating some chicken and stopped eating the chicken leg for whatever reason and ended up staring right at where I had bitten out and saw all the veins and other such not fun to look at items and stopped eating chicken for a long while after that.
I ate steak or fish instead...and pork.
Now I am all good until I have to start killing the food myself. But I would be ok doing what NYC wants to do and hunt deer, and then raise chickens for eggs. I would probably be willing to buy a milk cow too. I am sure if I do enough digging there are plenty of co-op farms nearby to buy into. The Bay Area has an extremely amazing food culture, is the birthplace of the Slow Food movement, and is like super organic crazy even more lately.....

photoguy

Post by photoguy »

My neighbor has two chickens she raises for eggs with her adult son. I don't know how much they save over buying but I think they are going to stop because it's too much work to clean up the poop.
There was a great article in san francisco magazine (http://www.sanfranmag.com/story/life-de ... prosciutto) about a woman who raised two pigs in her backyard in oakland. They paid almost nothing to feed the pigs as they simply went dumpster diving and fed them restaurant leftovers. Personally, this would be a little extreme for me as I am fundamentally lazy and I eat only a little meat, but for serious EREs (or people interested in self sufficiency) I could see it.

NYC ERE

Post by NYC ERE »

@hickchick i stand corrected--that's my Dark City (what, there are other places besides Manhattan?)-prejudiced view on egg prices. i should have said "$1.50/dozen eggs in a major metropolitan area are not healthy or safe."
@Q *nitpick* = the Slow Food Movement was born in Italy, though its US capital is undoubtedly Berkeley/SF.
@photoguy i'm obsessed with the Oakland/Berkeley in-city farmers after having heard about them on public radio. i wonder if i went deep enough into the Bronx/Queens/Brooklyn i would find such secret farms...

Q

Post by Q »

I claim ignorance. And sadly, I do love me some fast food delights.
Slow Food could be another forum topic here and goes pretty well with your paleo diet and hunting in general...

S

Post by S »

Try keeping your own chickens. It's a lot easier than you probably think. I used to have 3 hens I raised from tiny chicks in my apartment. Two of them were Rhode Island Red / Plymouth Rock crosses (brown eggs) and the other was an Americauna (green eggs). I had a really great landlord that let me keep them downstairs in the courtyard during the day. Each evening I carried them 3 stories up the fire escape to my apartment, so they were very tame and used to being handled. They would happily sit in my lap and go to sleep while being petted. I fed mine leftover food supplemented with commercial chicken feed. They're quite easy to care for even in the city if you have just a small area to let them peck around in during the day. I *would not* eat my hens as they were more like pets that happened to produce food as a bonus, but if you eat meat then it seems like an affordable way to do so.