Kettlebell setup equipment

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
KevinW

Post by KevinW »

I'd like to pull the trigger on kettlebell training. I'm inclined to just get the Dragon Door kit with the "Enter the Kettlebell" book and DVD and their 35 lb weight, which is ~$168 shipped. Or, I could get the same book and DVD from Amazon and a 35 lb Ader from eBay for a total of ~$135 shipped.
Any thoughts on whether the Dragon Door bell is worth the $33 premium? Those two brands seem to be the highest quality and most resaleable but are there other contenders? Is there a better resource than the "Enter..." book and DVD?
Thanks!

hunner

Post by hunner »

That seems really pricy, I suggest you just get a kettlebell (search craigslist or ebay for a used one) and then utilize the vast information available on the internet for free and Youtube. Bodybuilding.com has great articles, how to videos and tons of support materials for any type of training.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Dragondoor and Ader KBs are both in the same class in terms of finish and weight distribution. I think Ader has slightly wider handles. The difference between the two is a matter of taste.
I've actually found KBs rather hard to resell. (I've had my dragondoor kbs listed on sfbay craigs several times with only one taker.)
I'm not aware of other serious contenders. These two are the best of the best. There's a lot left. If you just want to try it out, you can probably get a piece of iron with burrs and a crummy grip for <$40.
Enter... is a good source. It's second generation material from the original crew. Don't go cheap on the instruction. A lot of personal trainers just saw it fit to adopt KBs into their program to ride the fad but they treat them like DBs.
Since they're so expensive, getting the weight right is more important. I'd say a good starting weight is the amount of weight you can curl with a dumbbell for a few reps. I started with clubbells and got the 10lbs which was the then recommended beginners weight but grew out of them in a couple of months.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

I have several kettlebells and have not noticed much of a difference between the higher and lower-priced ones. The only meaningful factor to me has been the shape of the handle.
You can get that book and a 35-lb bell on Amazon for much less than $135. See this for example: http://www.amazon.com/JFIT-j-fit-Iron-K ... d_sim_sg_2
Bell and book for $82.02.
fyi, you may need to click on the 35-lb box near the bell to see the combined offer.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

I've been using kettlebells on and off since 2005. I have more than a dozen of them. I started off buying Power Max, got my first Dragon Door bell, and have bought nothing but Dragon Door since.
The handle and balance of the bell matters if you decide to do high rep snatches. If you are going pursue the Dragon Door approach full bore, and chase the 200 rep snatch test, get their bells. Otherwise, it doesn't really matter.
I would not spend the money on their book. You can find the program online and ample video instruction on youtube. Steve Cotter breaks the snatch down in detail.
I have come to the conclusion that kettlebells are a nice supplement to a barbell - great for conditioning, mobility and accessory work. I would not use them as the base of my strength training or cardio work. IMO you can do much better using a barbell for heavy compound movements, then doing some short duration steady state cardio to keep your heart healthy.

jerry

Post by jerry »

If you are not using them for high rep snatches, it does not matter what kb you use. I would just get the cheapest 35lb kb (not DD or ADER) and see if you like it. If you are planning on doing high rep snatches or taking a shot at competition, then the competition bells are best. Dragondoor does not sell competition bells. I don't know about adder.
I have dragondoor and ader kbs and I like them both. I have Perform Better competiton bells and they are very good. I think their 16kg(35lb) is around $80. I have heard the the WKC (world kettlebell club) has about the best competition kb you can get in the US and they used to be around the same cost as DD but I think they are cheaper now.
The competiton kbs are interesting in that they are all the same size regardless of weight so you don't have to change your form as you get better. The light ones are big so you might not be happy with them if you have no intention of ever competing.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

Another thought - depending where you live, there's a good chance you can find a small group fitness class that includes kettlebells. I know there are at least 4 different gyms doing them within 6 miles of my house.
It's likely you could try a class for free or $15. The hour of in person instruction and chance to try a range of kettlebell weights in person would be worthwhile.

Roark

Post by Roark »

I wouldn't bother with any of that. Just get a used dumbbell of the same weight, you can do almost all of the exercises people do with kettlebells. I do my snatches with dumbbells and barbells.
If you are more interested in saving money then may I direct you toward Rossboxing.com? Lots of home made equipment ideas.
Also, you didn't say why you are training/ the goals you are attempting to achieve.
Source: Person who single arm dumbbell snatches the bodyweight of most people in this thread.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

The Rossboxing guy is cool! He does not even train with a barbell, gets one because of a flame war on the internet, then deadlifts 495lbs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95D7lj-A6tA
It all works if you do.

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

Thanks for all the input!
It helped to hear all those perspectives but I'm still inclined to buy a Dragon or Ader KB. This exercise regimen is fundamentally so much cheaper than anything involving machines, paid gyms, or classes, that I'm willing to spare no expense in implementing it.
I see that youtube has ample instruction on the individual exercises. So I don't think I need to buy a DVD. But I still think I'd benefit from a thorough written manual that explains the relevant theory and principles. I've done some Googling but I've only found individual articles or excerpts. Is there a respectable, complete manual online somewhere? If not I'll buy the Enter... book.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

http://chroniclesofstrength.com/1/post/ ... style.html
That guy just gave away all of Dragon Door's secrets. Use the money to get in person instruction. Learning a physical skill from a book does not go very well, and failing to make the ballistic kettlebell movements hip centric really messes with your back.
If you post a video of yourself doing a single exercise on the dragon door forums, you will lots of free feedback from the RKCs. They fall all over each other trying to prove who is the smartest.