A Wiki! A Wiki!

What skills to learn, what tools to get
jennypenny

Post by jennypenny » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:47 am

I wish I could see who entered some of the items on the list of things to do when you're retired. What a great list.
What to do first? Read a trashy novel? Learn to surf? Save the world?

m741

Post by m741 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:09 am

I believe there are some mediawiki plugins that help show how a page evolves over time. So you could see it as a flash/html5 animation as each editor comes in and makes a change. I know this is something you can do with wikipedia.
As it is, there's the 'history' tab, but it's mostly a blunt tool to check a particular revision and general change history, rather than a specific line.

m741

Post by m741 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:31 am

As for editing policy: I contributed to Wikipedia for a while and here are my thoughts:
While not touching what someone else has written (at all) sounds nice, it doesn't work all that well in practice. The page can very quickly grow clumsy and uncoordinated. I think the best policy is that rewrites, shuffling of content, error correction, and style standardization are all ok provided (A) you leave the page better than you found it, and (B) no substantive content was lost.
By 'leave the page better than you found it', I mean, if you're a fluent english speaker, feel free to correct grammar. If you're not a fluent english speaker, feel free to add sentences and make a paragraph flow better but be more cautious fixing grammar. Each person probably has particular areas where they know they're strong and can contribute.
If you feel the scope or tone of an article is wrong, then write something in the 'discussion' page. If an article is making statements that a large majority of other editors would find contentious, then reframe them so they're a neutral point of view.
For instance if I saw someone had written "George Bush was a terrible President," I could reformulate that as "Some people have suggested that George Bush was a terrible President. For instance <source> said <something>."
Neutral point of view is one of the cardinal rules of wikipedia, but I think it can be overdone and leave pages feeling sterile. For an ERE wiki, I'd say in most cases it's safe to make a value judgement. For instance, it's not neutral to say "Beans are a wonderful, cheap, flexible food source" but I don't really think it needs to be rephrased here (it would be forcibly rephrased on wikipedia). On the other hand, people have a variety of opinions in, say, investing in gold and it would make sense to be more neutral when discussing that.

Fish

Re: A Wiki! A Wiki!

Post by Fish » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:38 am

Is it still a priority to develop this part of the ERE information triad? Should we be coordinating in this thread?

I was impressed to see @jennypenny's name all over the revision history and pleasantly surprised to see that she has been linking to forum threads as new sources of information are created. I've been wondering what can be done to help out (also see this thread? viewtopic.php?t=598). With the proliferation of personal finance blogs and the popularization of FIRE, it seems like a great time to develop the ERE wiki.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:01 pm

@Fish -- I think the idea in the beginning was that everyone would add material to the wiki. Once the initial wave of contributions slowed down, I sort of took over maintenance of it. I skimmed through the forum threads once a month and pulled any pertinent material. To be honest, I haven't been as conscientious about doing it over the last few months.

Regarding your comment about personal finance ... I tried not to duplicate any information that was covered elsewhere. For example, there's no need to try to duplicate/compete with the general investing information found on the Bogleheads wiki. The financial information on the ERE wiki is mostly stuff that's directly related to the unique needs of ERE. Maybe jacob feels differently, and if so, obviously go by what he says. I'm just sharing what my own goal was when deciding what material to add.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:16 pm

I hope my post didn't suggest that I'm the 'keeper' of the wiki. Everyone is free to contribute. I wish everyone would!

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:38 pm

Can I repost (without any changes) posts from forum to the wiki?
I mean it is easier to lookup for something due to the nature of the medium.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 73

Post by jacob » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:41 pm

@Stahlman - No!