Piano for kids

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
teewonk

Post by teewonk »

My wife and I are thinking of getting a piano for the kids. What kind of piano should we get and how could we get it for cheap? Any thoughts on teaching?
I would think a real piano would be more durable than an electronic piano. Craigslist usually lists a few free ones at any given time. I would have to figure out how to move it and how to keep it up and tune it. Tuning it would require some tools, but I don't know details. I would be willing to tolerate it being slightly out of tune if I did it myself.
An electronic piano would be easier to move both now and in the future, and it wouldn't go out of tune. It would have volume control and the possibility of using headphones, which would be really convenient in our condo.
Having first hand experience with wasting money on lessons, we would teach them how to play ourselves. Does anyone think it would be a bad idea for us to teach our kids? We have 3 years of mostly unfruitful lessons between us, and we wouldn't be aiming for winning piano competitions, just the ability to play music.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

If you plan on moving in the future and since you have a small space, then I'd automatically go for the electronic piano. Even upright pianos are space hogs and you can't just tuck one in the closet when you need the space.
That said... while growing up, we had an upright piano in the house. It was bought used(*) in the '50s for my sister & brothers and stayed in tune pretty well despite the obvious pounding that kids can give such an instrument. I'm not sure that an electronic piano can put up with as much abuse.
We moved it once as a family and then my sister moved it twice before selling it to a tavern in Salem, Oregon, back in the '90s. I think she got about $200 for it.
(*) there were a few condition issues with this piano... one key up high didn't rebound and you could pump it back up to the level of the keyboard with a foot pedal.

irononmaiden

Post by irononmaiden »

I get the impression that DIY piano tuning can irreparably damage the piano over time. (I was reading about it on a site that sells piano tuning equipment to the public, so no obvious conflict of interest.) But you can learn basic tuning skills to keep it in tune between pro tunings.
I agree about getting a digital piano if you're short on space, though I grew tired of my digital piano's shortcomings pretty fast. Even my top-of-the-line model has a lot less nuance than a small console piano. Makes it hard to play expressively, and I worry that my skills will be stunted because of it.
Here in Chicago, there's a charity that fixes, tunes, and sells pianos for just a few hundred dollars. They come with a warranty and everything. You might try to find a similar org in your area.

dragoncar

Post by dragoncar »

A free real piano? That's crazy... Does it mean it's severely damaged? If free, I say why not take it. Tune it yourself and if you mess it up, so what? It was free. Same with moving... Just give/toss it. Best case you tune it up nice and sell for a profit.
That said, if there is any cost associate with a real piano (delivery, repair, etc) I'd probably lean towards electric. I tend to think of investment in expensive instruments as a waste unless you already know you will stick with it (7 years of childhood lessons plus real piano rental and very little to show for it... No lessons and a free guitar, however, and I've gotten pretty good)

akratic

Post by akratic »

My parents forced me to learn piano as a kid, and it sucked.
But if they'd set me up with this: http://synthesiagame.com/ I would have practiced my little heart out!
Watch the video on that site!

irononmaiden

Post by irononmaiden »

Whoa, that's really cool.
At first I thought the name was Synesthesia and got all excited because I'm synesthetic. Eh, it was still cool anyway. :)

hickchick

Post by hickchick »

@dragoncar - once you've moved an upright piano you know why people give them away. And once they've been moved they will probably need to be tuned professionally.
@teewonk - Since it would be logistically easier, you could always teach them guitar. My parents tried giving me lessons, but I wasn't terribly interested in learning. My grandmother walked 3 miles into town and cleaned the piano teacher's house as a trade for lessons. My husband taught himself to play. I'd say the first step is figuring out where your kids are on that spectrum.

JasonR

Post by JasonR »

o
Last edited by JasonR on Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fancyfree

Post by fancyfree »

we got our free piano off freecycle or craigslist - can't remember now. it's the upright school variety and perfectly nice. the only thing wrong with it was a slightly wobbly front leg. i had to rent the smallest available uhaul and convince a couple friends to help me move it. since it's a school/church type, it is on wheels but it still weighs a ton.
we put the word out that we were looking and were offered a few others around the same time frame. all perfectly fine pianos, just a little on the homely/very-used side.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

When I was a 7, I wanted to learn to play synth/keyboard. My parents having heard something like if you learned to play the keyboard you couldn't subsequently learn to play piano, but the other way around was just fine then went out and got a $1500 piano.
I played that for two years until my teacher started talking, nay insisting, that I begin to put some strange undefined quality called emotion into my playing. I was 8.
Then the piano remained in my parents home for 20 some years until they sold it again. They hold value pretty well.
When I was in my early twenties I bought a midi keyboard and installed cakewalk on my computer and started composing. That was much more fun. It was nice to know the basics of playing. (This also meant that I got to play the bassline for the keyboard during the mandatory music class in high school which got me out of the humiliation of having to sing.)
I've seen old (out of tune) pianos given away on freecycle.
I still wish I had gotten a chance to go more in the electronic direction as opposed to being forced to play simple pieces by Chopin by some teacher who insisted on hitting the keys with feeling.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O2aH4XLbto
This is Ronald Jenkees. He's awesome (<- yes I said awesome. He's a space shuttle launch personified!), self-taught, and plays by ear.

Freedom_2018

Post by Freedom_2018 »

If anyone is interested, the following are available for sale (California, Bay Area):
1. Yamaha DGX 505 with Piano Bench - $300
2. Roland EG 101 Groove Keyboard with Stand - $300
3. Ibanez AW 100 Acoustic Guitar with Soft case - $175

Mirwen

Post by Mirwen »

FWIW I have a Yamaha digital piano and I love it. I'm able to move it myself, although it's better with two. Anyone can play any time of day with headphones or low volume. You can record what you play on the piano or through a midi out. I can control how it sounds and plays. It has a built in metronome. It always sounds perfect and it needs no maintenance other than dusting. After having a real upright and now the digital, digital wins by far. I purchased it about 10 years ago. The baby bangs on it all the time and it hasn't shown any ill effects, but the pedals are wearing a bit from normal use. If you can find a digital with weighted keys and pedals, I'd choose that, especially since you said you live in a condo. You might find that you aren't able to play a regular piano because it disturbs the neighbors too much. There's a reason people are giving them away.

anastrophe

Post by anastrophe »

@JasonR: it CAN get out of hand and be ERE unfriendly, if you let it, but that's not a given. My chosen instrument fits under my bed, I tune it myself, and rarely buy supplies except sheet music, which can be had for nearly free if you're not picky. Repairs could be costly but that should only be necessary if, y'know, I step on the damn thing;) It's all in how you do it.

JasonR

Post by JasonR »

o
Last edited by JasonR on Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anastrophe

Post by anastrophe »

@JasonR: Lucky you! But I wonder if your situation may be unusual. For most people, I think this falls well in the land of trying a hobby inexpensively before you put mondo cash in--by virtue of the standard curve, there are very few prodigies. If you find you have one you can adjust; maybe at that point it's inevitable to spend a lot of money. But most kids will try an instrument for a year or two and then move on to soccer.
Not that anyone should ever tell their kids they'll be mediocre, but even if your kid sticks with it awhile, I'd guess you have far more Suzuki dropouts who become community chamber music players or music teachers than you have professional performers. My guess is this is due to some degree to the exorbitant costs of careerism/status competition (classical music is not unlike the financial sector in my mind) and partly because very few people have that talent or drive to begin with. If your kid is amazing with a Casio then you might have to shell out, but they may choose something different entirely.

BeyondtheWrap

Post by BeyondtheWrap »

@ teewonk - What do the kids think about this?

teewonk

Post by teewonk »

@BeyondtheWrap
Well... our eldest is not quite three years old, so maybe I'm jumping the gun. She likes music and can sing on key and clap in rhythm. I know it's a bit early for an instrument, but if it doesn't get much use for a while, it's no big deal. We have a space for it right now, so the question has been on my mind.