Best way to buy microwave

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
Stahlmann

Best way to buy microwave

Post by Stahlmann »

Hi,

My income is shitty recently. Nevertheless, I need/want to have a microwave. I was observing local classified ads for a longer time and I haven't found anything interesting. Let's say I also can't have "previous owned" things.

So, I consider buying microwave for 30h of minimum wage from the internet (I've just realized nominal minimum wage growth in my country... mind blown). The cheapest shit is 15h. BTW, I'm thinking about Samsung MC28H5015AK.

What's expected planned obsolescence in years for almost "Walmart grade" home appliances? I want to buy it and stop thinking about it. Guarantee is 2 years so I assume it could be the most sensible way to incorporate it as time usage into accounting and hoping in that normal usage won't damage it (this is the biggest problem - I spend so much time analysing and then... boom, because I'd put metal container in it).

I also observed that for an additional 5h the major insurer can provide some support: "The insurance covers the repair or replacement of equipment in the event of: failure after the manufacturer's warranty". Wow. I mean I haven't thought that "turn everything into recurrent cashflows" went so far (wagie life...). On the other hand I think they're going to do nothing, because... my attitude towards the world. Well reading 5h of law language seems interesting YMOL exercise, but I'm hesitant.

I simply tried to be smart, because asking "what's your microwave?" will be non-educational question.

On exercise of 0$ net outlay, today I bought another gadget through internet and I'm going to use it for 13 days and legally give it back. I also used 0% interest rate loan incorporated on the biggest local e-commerce platform, so... I haven't seen "transaction" on my back account. Small things make Sthalmann happy. Doing this with many microwaves from many suppliers every 2 weeks for prolonged time sounds... good academical/mental exercise, but I'm not so much crazy/"parasite". Yea, if you buy things online and "only check them", you have 14 days to return them in my country.

Cheers

Alphaville

Re: Best way to buy microwave

Post by Alphaville »

in my dacha (lol) i got a cheapass no-brand 800w microwave someone had used previously. it was cheap in the first place but i got it free (throwaway).

after cleanup of some greasy plate that was causing sparks (waveguide cover) it worked fine.

now i have a more potent one included in my city rental, but it's overkill for my use. i only use high or medium or low power settings, a few minutes at most, and use none of the infinite silly programs. i'm not a "microwave chef." it's just a heater. i defrost vegetables, reheat food, melt coconut oil (pow! do this in low)

the time for heating can be scaled from the wattage. i think full models are around 1300w? do the math for your model, more or less (800-900w for the small ones?).

so, the cheapest shit should work fine for one person. you're not gonna cook a turkey in it are you? just defrost something, heat up tea, make a mug cake? in such cases (most cases?) "smart functions" are a waste.

as for the rest, no idea.

Stahlmann

Re: Best way to buy microwave

Post by Stahlmann »

@Alphaville, interesting perspective.

I mainly for reheating and creating something what would resemble some cookies (going cold turkey with sweets is goal I set every quarter) and bread/roll/muffins (I like palatability and consistency of things I could buy in shop, but there is something in ingredients what effects my health greatly; so I'm interested in doing something with 5 components, then 4, then 3... then 5 new).