dough/pastry/pasta board?

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
Alphaville

Re: dough/pastry/pasta board?

Post by Alphaville »

white belt wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 12:22 pm
I scored a Marcato Atlas 150 on Facebook Marketplace for $25 so I’m looking forward to using it for homemade ramen in the coming weeks. Homemade is the only way I know of to make 3 ingredient ramen noodles since commercially produced ramen packets are loaded with additives.
that's a nice score! if it needs cleaning or runs creaky all you should need is some food grade mineral oil to lubricate (cheap pharmaceutical grade available at the drugstore)

3 ingredient ramen? hook a brother up with the formula.

commercial ramen is deep fried in advance and can be eaten right out of the packet like a cracker. i like it as an occasional trash food--with some real additions (egg, broccoli, pork slice, etc)

white belt

Post by white belt »

To clarify, the 3 ingredients are just to make the noodles themselves. Obviously if you want to make a complete ramen noodle soup dish then you’re going to need more than that. But I usually eat my ramen noodles with a little seasoning as a side dish, without the soup. I actually prefer them to regular pasta I think.

This is the guide I plan on following: https://youtu.be/_8rsTkOsI2M

Ingredients are flour, sodium carbonate (made by putting baking soda in oven), and water. The sodium carbonate is what gives the ramen noodles their trademark snappy texture. Ok technically you will need some kind of potato or corn starch to keep the raw noodles from sticking together and also some salt, but I already committed to calling it 3 ingredients.

I plan on just making large batches and putting them in the fridge or freezer. Then I can just boil them for a meal like I do with regular ramen blocks. Drying the noodles like commercial producers do doesn’t seem worth the effort for the home scale.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

yeah momofuku ando was a genius, man. instant ramen is a great addition to the nuclear shelter. cheap and easy and durable and i have eaten my fair share in many forms, including david chang's cacio e pepe (trashy glory).

but i didn't know the basic noodles were so simple to make. i always thought they required some special skill. have you ever watched juzo itami's "tampopo"? one of my favorite movies hahahaha. i've seen it a bunch of times, it's highly rewatchable. anyway, most of my ideas about ramen come from it, i think.

trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sur_pxcpuoE