How to cut your own hair? (long hair)

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
BookLoverL

How to cut your own hair? (long hair)

Post by BookLoverL »

If it hadn't been for COVID, I had been planning to get my annual hair cut in March or April, which would probably have involved paying a hairdresser or would alternatively have involved borrowing my mother's social capital to get someone to cut it for me for free. There's still a chance the second one might happen but I'm not sure I feel comfortable with that right now regarding social distancing.

In any case, my hair is down to around my waist, and at the length where it starts to annoy me, so I would prefer it to be cut back to my shoulders. Therefore I was wondering if there is any home method for doing this, without buying a bunch of equipment, in a way that will look decent enough that I can still maintain a professional/respectable appearance for my current work commitments.

I don't want to just go and use my dad's hair clippers to make it super short, because I'm not currently looking to appear that radically outside of mainstream hairstyles. Also I enjoy being able to plait it.

My hands are not reliably steady, so I don't want to use a method that requires super fine precision.

I might still end up waiting until I can get it cut by someone else, but it would be a great opportunity for me to learn a skill that would then permanently cut hair-related expenditure out of my life.

Frita

Re: How to cut your own hair? (long hair)

Post by Frita »

A few questions to better answer your question: What I the texture of your hair? Do you want a layered or blunt cut? Do you have hair cutting shears? Is there someone who could help with the haircut?

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

One of the most beautiful women I know, who is ethnically Chinese, just ties her long hair up into a knot and cuts the excess off with a knife.

I am so in love with her. She's at least 30 years younger than I am. Just how my life works. Better than not loving anybody.

horsewoman

Post by horsewoman »

We recently cut off over 50 cm from my daughters hair... Pretty exiting!
Like frita mentioned it depends on what texture your hair has and which style you want.
Hit YouTube, there are countless tutorials for every style.
I have a layered style and get this by forming a ponytail on top of my head and the cutting a straight line while holding the ponytail straight up (also learned in Youtube). It looks pretty neat.

Edited to add: we use a professional pair of scissors, but plenty of people on YouTube use kitchen scissors!

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

even if ponytail method doesn't work out to produce a fully professionally-looking style, keeping it up in a bun for work would hide any small imperfections and look professional enough. From the sheer length you've started with, I assume you're female, but this will work regardless of gender. Manbuns are an underrated frugal style. Too bad they seem to be more of a fad than a hairstyle that's around to stay, personally I'm quite fond of how they look.

@enigma: that is really badass. the teenage metalhead in me approves

BookLoverL

Post by BookLoverL »

Thanks for the advice!

My hair is relatively straight, probably on the oilier side rather than the dry side. I want whichever style is easy to do while also still looking professional, and also is still long enough to put in a short plait.

I am currently put in female role by society, so if I went for a short and typical man's hairstyle it would send signals that I'm queer. These signals would be accurate, but I don't want to send them at the moment for various reasons.

The only implement I currently have would be kitchen scissors. I could get my mum to help maybe, since she's in a social bubble with me at the moment. I will take a look on YouTube to see what I can find - I think last time I looked I didn't find anything helpful, but it's likely I wasn't being specific enough with the search terms.

Frita

Post by Frita »

I have relatively thick, fine, straight hair. It does not look good layered unless I spend time styling it which I find to be a waste of time (but curl it for special occasions). I can easily braid, wear a ponytail, put it in a topknot or bun, etc.Having wavy hair seems more forgiving. Based on having a heart-shaped face, I think a long bob (lob) or blunt cut between an inch below my shoulders and touching my shoulders looks professional. (I tried to cut it myself and don’t recommend it. I easily gave my daughter the same haircut, only shorter with shorter bangs, as her face.) My spouse can do it in five minutes.

The professional scissors (Never use for anything else and they will last a lifetime.) are worth it because they give a crisp cut. We bought ours at a beauty supply store 30 years ago for less than $10.

Steps:
1. Wash hair.
2. Towel dry excess water.
3. Part hair where you typically part or middle part if you don’t (This is what I do.).
4. Comb all sides straight down so that hair is resting on back.
5. Decide how long you want your hair, noting it will shrink about 1/2 inch.
6. Have helper trim straight across using small snips with the tips of the scissors.
7. Comb hair again and touch up any loose ends.
8. Comb hair again with bangs in front. They will form a V. Snip straight across or to form a small U if you pull your hair behind your ears.

horsewoman

Post by horsewoman »

The advantage of really long hair is that you can practice cutting it and still have some length left over for damage control!
Last edited by horsewoman on Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BookLoverL

Post by BookLoverL »

That's true, if I try cutting it only half way or a third of the way the first time, it gives me a couple of times to practise. Good thinking.

BookLoverL

Post by BookLoverL »

I have taken the plunge!

After watching numerous YouTube videos, I first attempted to cut it to bottom of-the-chest length, and then to armpit length, both times with a method that gives a v shape at the back. I might try and smooth things out a little bit more in a day or two, but I think I've got things reasonably ok. I used my kitchen scissors.

I have pretty thick hair, so combined with the kitchen scissors rather than proper shears, the hair did not all come off in one or two cuts like in the video, but rather required quite a lot of smaller cuts, all while the hair was tied as the video I found recommended. But I used my eyes to make sure the lengths matched up with each cut.

I am quite satisfied with this, considering I never asked for anything more than a basic trim when I went to a professional anyway. I am counting this as a success.

I did forget to cover my shirt and am now itchy, but we live and learn.

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

Yay, congrats!!