Best ERE method to polish plastic?

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
Cheepnis

Best ERE method to polish plastic?

Post by Cheepnis »

I'm trying to polish up some clear hard plastic that only has light scuffing/hazing. After a little google snooping I attempted a soft cloth + Brasso + elbow grease since I had everything on hand. That method did do something but it's leaving light crescents in the shape of the small circles I make with the cloth. They're only visible under certain light but I want to achieve a like new look here.

Next I'm considering a drill attachment buffer wheel like this https://www.amazon.com/Drixet-Buffing-T ... 89&sr=1-27

and a different polisher product such as this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002U ... DR3K&psc=1

Does anybody have any experience with these methods or another method that worked well for them?

Alphaville

Re: Best ERE method to polish plastic?

Post by Alphaville »

When I had cds/dvds I used wool cloth and melamine foam. Removed most scratches but never quite managed to make them look “new.”

I’ve also polished headlights with the 3M compound/buff pad kit. Results were so-so to okay depending on headlight. I’m not a “fine touch” person so perhaps someone with more skill would get them to look “new”.

ZAFCorrection

Post by ZAFCorrection »

If it is a thermoplastic you could try heating it, maybe by very carefully holding it over a hot plate or stove. Polymers aren't like other materials. They are long strands of molecules so their properties can be pretty anisotropic at the length scale of not looking polished (scattering visible light).

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

I've used toothpaste and a cloth on plastic car headlights. It worked great one one car and ok on another. No swirls that I noticed.

Cheepnis

Post by Cheepnis »

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I think I'll try the toothpaste to start since I've got it and it's likely a finer grit than the Brasso. Using heat would make me nervous, perhaps as a last resort!

Chris

Post by Chris »

In my experience polishing headlights, the finer scratches only really cleared up after applying UV protectant.

ZAFCorrection

Post by ZAFCorrection »

Chris' method is the most likely to actually work. Cleaning up the surface to its original condition is borderline impossible. But if you fill in the scratches with a refractive index-matched resin, the scratches should no longer be visible.