Guns, guns, guns!

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
Freedom_2018

Re: Guns, guns, guns!

Post by Freedom_2018 »

My experience with gun ownership:

- Some yrs ago after watching too many youtube videos, got a Volquartsen 17HMR. 2600fps, pretty much flat to 100yds... with a nice Nikon scope on top...a tack driver to the point that it got boring shooting everything inside the center circle at the Lake Chabot shooting range in the CA Bay Area.

- One section of the shooting range was for plinking (people shooting toasters etc) but that fun sectiongot shut down for some reason.

- Honestly it would have been fun to take it out into open terrain and try and shoot through wood blocks, dent metal sheets or try impossibly long distance shots...they way they do in those fun youtube videos...but where the heck to do that in the Bay Area?

- The pointlessness if it all was brought home when the range would shut down at 5 pm sharp and by 5:05pm there would be deer from the surrounding hills coming down and grazing on the grass between the shooting benches and the targets!!

- So with upcoming long term travels coming up, I sold it to a gun dealer (didn't want to sell to a private party in case the gun was ever used for anything bad), whose comment on inspecting the rifle was "has this gun ever been fired?"...what an insult!

All in all I don't think it was worth it.

I had far more fun with a couple of shotguns (12&20 gauge) when on 400 acres of wooded land in Appalachia...blasted the heck out of concrete and brick blocks, stacked wooden planks, gallon jugs of water...also realized the power of a 12 gauge slug. It was fun to have two pump action shotguns, one in each hand and do my Terminator impersonation.

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

Freedom_2018 wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:04 pm

- Some yrs ago after watching too many youtube videos, got a Volquartsen 17HMR. 2600fps, pretty much flat to 100yds... with a nice Nikon scope on top...a tack driver to the point that it got boring shooting everything inside the center circle at the Lake Chabot shooting range in the CA Bay Area.
It was fun to have two pump action shotguns, one in each hand and do my Terminator impersonation.
Hey! I was going to say I used to shoot there when I was in college. But I just checked a map and realized I was at the San Leandro dump range on Davis St...the “other” place to shoot in town. Different crowd down there :lol: .

How did you pump two shotguns simultaneously? :o okay, now I’ll have to search for the clip.

As I said above, everyone has different reasons to get into the hobby. :lol:

Freedom_2018

Post by Freedom_2018 »

Ha...you might have been hanging with the more fun crowd 😆

One handed pump : https://youtu.be/vWA1TuaGLH8

I enjoy playing with guns but not necessarily owning them.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Sclass wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:51 pm
I need to rethink the idea of neutralizing a threat with a laser.
Yeah, you might not need the gun if you have a laser, assuming you're just trying to run someone off.

Important safety tip ... make sure you don't use it around a cop. Or show it to one, even if he's off duty. :oops: Apparently, it's illegal.

TheWanderingScholar

Post by TheWanderingScholar »

Are you talking about guns or lasers? Former I can understand, the later I can't.