Intro to Permaculture

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
RoamingFrancis

Intro to Permaculture

Post by RoamingFrancis »

Hello everyone,

I'm very interested in getting into permaculture and gardening. It's a big world and I'm not quite sure where to start. I've read a couple books, have been hanging around permies.com, and started some pea plants.

Does anyone know of any (free) online courses or anything like that where I can dig deeper?

Thanks,

RoamingFrancis

figmenter

Re: Intro to Permaculture

Post by figmenter »

I started out with https://open.oregonstate.edu/courses/permaculture/ It provided me with a good basis for further study.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Have you read Wheaton's latest book "Building a Better World in Your Backyard"? If not, I can send you a link to the ebook. I have a couple of free codes left. (offer open to anyone)

Lucky C

Post by Lucky C »

Another online course from North Carolina State. It follows Gaia's Garden which is easier to get into / read casually & get a basic plan compared to some other permaculture books.

https://mediasite.online.ncsu.edu/onlin ... d1ced71521

mooretrees

Post by mooretrees »

jennypenny wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:58 am
Have you read Wheaton's latest book "Building a Better World in Your Backyard"? If not, I can send you a link to the ebook. I have a couple of free codes left. (offer open to anyone)
I would totally take one of the books. I've sorta read a tiny bit of permaculture, but would appreciate more of a backyard approach to the quasi-textbook I tried to read.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

sent PM

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

i’d love one please if still available

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

sent

sky

Post by sky »

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... cW5kgt8AGb

Bill Mollison teaches a Permaculture Design Course, 16 part video series

TheWanderingScholar

Post by TheWanderingScholar »

In general, going to permies.com/forum is good for getting more information along with base knowledge here.

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

jennypenny wrote:
have a couple of free codes left. (offer open to anyone)
Would love a copy if you have any left.

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

[spoiler] Wheaton rehashed many blog posts into chapters in the book [/spoiler]

PS. Nothing wrong with this.

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

I just started reading it, and he does state in the intro that 70% of the book is stuff that's been published on the site already (articles, posts, podcasts, etc). Since I have never read anything from him, really looking forward to to it.

Thank you again jp.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Last time I offered free permaculture stuff, I got zero interest, but maybe now: viewtopic.php?p=191089#p191089

just

Post by just »

If anyone has a gift card left for Wheaton's latest book, I'd like to read it. I'm in Denmark, so I think ebook is the easiest.

Papers of Indenture

Post by Papers of Indenture »

Where are you located? I like to look at sources focused on my climate.

Some of my favorite permaculture inspired gardening channels on YouTube. The first 3 have really been the most helpful to me:

----------

Edible Acres (Ithaca, NY)

Plant Abundance (Oakland, CA)

OYR Frugal & Sustainable Organic Gardening (Zone 5...Michigan I think)

The Forest Gardener (Nashville, TN)

Forest Farming (Appalachia focused)

Ben Falk (Vermont)

-----------

As far as books go the one I use the most is the "Edible Forest Gardens Volume II" by David Jacke and Eric Toensmeier. Also "Designing and Maintaining Your Edible Landscape Naturally" by Robert Kourik. These are dense reference books."Gaia's Garden" by Toby Hemenway is a good one for a slightly breezier overview with pretty pictures.

The old standard for theory is "Pemaculture: A Designers Manual" by Bill Mollison but I hardly ever pick it up. Mollison and Geoff Lawton do good work as popularizers and teachers of core theory but as i've become a more experienced gardener I don't have use for their more ideological approach and Oceania focused advice.

I grow primarily shrubs, berry bushes, small fruit trees, and native pollinator plants on about 2/3rds of an acre. Sheet mulching, no spray and limited inputs. I only maintain about 1/4th of an acre intensively though. The rest of the property is left to the devices of a pre-existing Black Walnut grove containing some planted PawPaw and Hazelnut.

RoamingFrancis

Post by RoamingFrancis »

Thanks for all the resources! It'll take me a while to digest everything, so I'll definitely come back to this page for reference.

@jennypenny Do you still have any of the codes? I'd love to get one if possible. I like Paul Wheaton and a backyard intro sounds perfect.

Dave

Post by Dave »

jennypenny wrote:
Hey JP, add me to the queue of those interested, if there are any codes available after those above me!

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I think I got everyone. Let me know if a link doesn't work.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

On chapter 5 already, looks like I’m doing great in the energy+petroleum department. The gardening question, on the other hand... I’m working on it.

BTW you don’t need to have a truck to drive it just once a month. At that point you can just rent one cheaper.