Anyone make their own yogurt?

What skills to learn, what tools to get
Alphaville

Re: Anyone make their own yogurt?

Post by Alphaville »

thanks for the info! we'll make after we lose some weight...

if the dairy tears your stomach just drain the evil aka lactose in liquid.

here a labneh-making video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=917UAW5Jgyw

this guy hangs longer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A02WG_htnho

this guy drains outside the fridge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yPflssR2yA which would continue fermentation for even less lactose, hence even tangier. and i like how he spreads it on the plate

finally, this guy with a good radio voice, he serves his sweet, and has the wrong ideas/motivations about making it hahaha, he's kinda funny, and he shows many hacks to drain it, also salts it differently:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4rIDnH490o

--

eta: with my wife being lactose intolerant and me wanting to reduce sugar ive been thinking about fermenting my leftover whey with a dry champagne yeast.... yeah sounds crazy so i'll try it of course for that very reason

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 0247923461

http://www.liquidirish.com/2012/05/whey-alcohol.html

Western Red Cedar

Post by Western Red Cedar »

Alphaville wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:17 am
last night as i was going to sleep i had a thought of making ranch dressing with yogurt. i'm not a ranch dressing type of person, but maybe those who are could use yogurt as the base.

buttermilk is close to a lean watery yogurt and... oh look, wikipedia mentions yogurt:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranch_dressing

yeah. apply to salad.
A couple weeks ago DW made some homemade buttermilk house sauce with a yogurt base. We ended up putting it on pizza instead of salad which is probably about as unhealthy as you can get. But, at least it was a homemade pie and a homemade dressing. It was some of the best ranch I ever tasted (store bought yogurt though so we still have a ways to go).

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

Western Red Cedar wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:38 pm
A couple weeks ago DW made some homemade buttermilk house sauce with a yogurt base. We ended up putting it on pizza instead of salad which is probably about as unhealthy as you can get. But, at least it was a homemade pie and a homemade dressing. It was some of the best ranch I ever tasted (store bought yogurt though so we still have a ways to go).
ranch on pizza... you guys californians? :D

dairy and wheat is a natural pairing though, no shame in that game-- healthy, in fact. aminoacids in milk (high lysine) supplement the wheat (lysine deficient) and add nutritional value. and ofc homemade beats supermarket goo.

start making your own yogurt... it's the easiest, and good bang for the buck. as you can read in this thread, there's a bit of a learning curve to get it going, but once it does... it just keeps going.

i just finished fermenting another gallon today. all will be strained for labneh (see videos above), and then i'll gather a bucket of sour whey to... attempt booze :D

you can use whey to make bread though. bit of a shortcut to sourdough that way: you get the lactobacillus without waiting for the scoby, and you get the tangy taste, plus the whey proteins help achieve a beautiful maillard reaction as with enriched doughs but lean.

mooretrees

Post by mooretrees »

I clabbered whole unpasteurized milk recently. It's really too fermented, but not bad. I added honey to offset the intense fermentation flavor, but it's not that tasty. I'm hoping someone has some suggestions for how to use it so it doesn't go to waste. It really needs to be mixed in something or dialed down in intensity somehow.

Clabbering is sorta like making yogurt but doesn't involve heat or addition of other bacteria. I covered the milk and left it on the counter for five or so days. I wasn't really sure anything was happening but on day six or so, I noticed that it had congealed.

Not sure I'll do this again, was just curious about what it would taste like. Any suggestions for how to use it are appreciated!

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

ive never had clabbered milk. my mother grew up on that stuff. she says they'd leave it on a sunny windowsill and it would just congeal the next day. but lactobacteria is lactobacteria: same difference, i think.

so assuming similar: honey is acidic too, and somewhat funky, so i can see why it would not fix.

maybe add salt, strain, make cheese? salt tempers acid too, so maybe. and heat! so chile, or hot sauce... so yeah, strain and eat with salt and chiles. for indian version search for spicy paneer.

alternatively: use a mellower sweetener like maple or molasses? im currently off the sugar though so i wouldn't recommend :D

mooretrees

Post by mooretrees »

Hmm, salt and chilies sounds really good, thanks! I knew you'd be the one to chime in with good suggestions :D

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

my pleasure! let us know how it turns out.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

updates:

1) i finally scored a pound of (white) raw soybeans. i'll have to see how to process them. i've seen the folks at noma do things with them, i'll have to check what applies to me. soybeans from scratch: can't promise yogurt yet. just cooking them first.

2) purchased a pot just for making yogurt--it's a $20 ceramic-lined insert for the 6qt instapot, which works only with slow cooker mode, not with pressure. the point of this tool is: a) i can keep the yogurt in the pot longer without acid reacting with the metal, and b) i can free up the machine for other uses (pressure cooker, convection/airfyer, etc) in the free metal. no need to process the yogurt right away. this enables a smoother/more intensive workflow with the machine. also got a silicone lid, $12, which lets me store the ceramic lined container directly in the fridge. so i don't need to move the yogurt to secondary containers.

3) been gathering sour whey also in a cambro bucket where i used to make bread dough (bread is on hiatus for the season). i have a gallon now, will study non-starch uses for it (no bread, no pasta. but maybe fried chicken marinade). drank some the other day for my guts--a cup should only have 4g sugar left in it when well fermented. curiously enough the thing has not spoiled or developed mold for a month now. i think the acidity is keeping things in check.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

just quickly to add a brief note that whey-marinated fried chicken (sour whey, from strained yogurt) is spectacular.

for reference search "samin nosrat buttermilk fried chicken" and apply sour whey instead of buttermilks. i found an old timey looking page and just skimmed through it: it's not rocket science. chicken pieces in a gallon bag. soak.

close those loops, baby...

(now i need to find a marination jar to avoid wasting pastic bags. i wonder if i should whey-marinate all meats...not kosher btw.. except fish?)

i need a supply of herring.