Plant sales as side income source

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
C40

Re: Plant sales as side income source

Post by C40 »

@sky - I'm very interested to hear how the selling goes. This is one of the potential income sources on my list of things I want to try

sky

Post by sky »

https://i.imgur.com/eCPpcr6.jpg

First day of my sale, wish me luck!

sky

Post by sky »

I took in $50 the first day, so according to my fuzzy undisciplined accounting, I have broke even on expenses for this season. Still have lots of product to sell. A roadside stand with an honor box is my kind of sales method. No customer contact needed. I did go and talk to people, in between sunning myself on the patio.

mooretrees

Post by mooretrees »

That’s pretty good. We sell our coffee the same way, honor system at a friends farm stand. Very easy. Now that I’ve started a few seeds indoors I’m thinking of giving your roadside plant a try next year. Likely to start smaller but it’s so hands off once you have the gear.

sky

Post by sky »

Some lessons learned in the growing process:

When potting up from 72 cell trays to 4 inch pots, use a quality potting soil, for example 50% peat moss, 25% vermiculite, 25% worm castings. The plants need good drainage and nutrition to look their best.

When hardening off, beware of frost on any night forecasted below 40F.

When hardening off, do not leave plants in direct sunlight for more than 3 hours, even in the first and second weeks outside. Make a structure to hold shade cloth over the plants. Sun scalding damages the appearance of the plants.

A hoop structure over a growing table would be ideal to hold shadecloth and plastic sheeting to protect from light frost.

sky

Post by sky »

My advertising was on craigslist as a garage sale with a picture and list of plants for sale. I also emailed friends to let them know. I put up a "garage sale" sign at the corner.

I could put up more signs and advertise on facebook if I were more entreprenurial. Trying to keep it somewhat low key so no one complains to the city.

sky

Post by sky »

In the first 3 day weekend, I made about $70. I am waiting to sell again until Friday. Most of the best plants were picked out and I want the weaker plants to get a chance to grow out a bit before offering them up for sale.

Ideally, I would add one week to the timeline and sell plants in the condition that they will be in on May 9, one week after my initial sale. Or in other words, start everything a week earlier.

I like hobbies that are financially self-supporting. I don't need to make money off of them, but if I can make the hobby pay for its costs, there is a lot of satisfaction in that. More importantly, there is usually a skill involved that I have to master to create something of value to others. I like this kind of education.

As far as earning a wage from this skill, after comparing the hours worked and the revenue from the sale, I earned about the lowest wage earned by the poorest person on the planet. There are benefits from this activity, but it is not cash in pocket.

Growing seedlings from seed to potted plants ready for planting is a special skill. This skill is special, because not only do you create something other people want, but you can also use the seedlings in your own garden. And with gardening skills, you can grow a good part of the food you need with no cash outlay. I am glad I learned the skill and will likely use it again and again.

My small sale provided all the herbs we need for our own garden, and the income covered the cost of all the seed, soil and equipment needed to produce those plants, with some profit left over. So potentially, a plant sale could cover the entire cost of providing one's food from a garden. Our garden is more of an ornamental garden with herbs and berries scattered through it, we don't count on it for food. We are focused on creating a garden paradise in which we may live. But if I had even a small city lot I could produce a large amount of food using seed starting skills and the no dig gardening method.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

I think taking in $70 under current circumstances is pretty darn good.

sky

Post by sky »

I didn't open my stand yesterday or today due to high winds.

J_

Post by J_ »

sky wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 1:17 pm
Our garden is more of an ornamental garden with herbs and berries scattered through it, we don't count on it for food. We are focused on creating a garden paradise in which we may live.
That's nice! The joy of your own paradise with un-forbiden fruits! Thanks sky.

DW nurtures our little town garden in such a way: it reconciles our souls in a disturbing world...

Campitor

Post by Campitor »

ffj wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:26 pm
My concern with this method is space. And especially grow light space.
I've grown own plants indoors by getting a 2nd hand bookshelf and screwing lights to underside of the shelf above. This allows you to grow a bunch of starter plants in a small foot print. The biggest drawback is either the cost of the grow lights or having a bookcase of plants blocking a window unless you "greenhouse it" on an outside deck or porch. I've done the greenhouse method with the bookshelf but you have to put some kind of heat sink in the mini greenhouse or the plants will get too cold when the temps drop at night. I've used dark 5 gallon buckets of water as my heat sink. And a 5-mil plastic sheet was utilized to create the greenhouse; I acquired a 3ft x 50yd roll (a guesstimate on the yardage) via a construction site dumpster dive.

A family dog put an end to my gardening - she loved digging into the plant beds too much and chewing some of the vegetables. It was funny and infuriating at the same time. :D

sky

Post by sky »

My roadside stand is out again. I have 108 plants left to sell. The plants are finally looking good after their sunburn about 3 weeks ago.

sky

Post by sky »

J_ wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 7:26 am
That's nice! The joy of your own paradise with un-forbiden fruits! Thanks sky.

DW nurtures our little town garden in such a way: it reconciles our souls in a disturbing world...
Here is our paradise garden:

https://youtu.be/zfsHSbizHks

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Lovely garden.

One of the big hydroponic equipment stores in my neck of the woods also sells seedlings in the parking lot in the spring. The weird thing is that they start all sorts of plants that don’t do well if transplanted and/or are very easy to just grow from seed. Also, some of their plants are already about ready for harvesting they are so far along😂

sky

Post by sky »

The sales are coming along, generally between $2 and $10 per day. I have 84 plants to sell yet. They are looking good.

There is not a lot of work involved, just roll the cart to the road in the morning, and roll it back in the evening. Check the box for money. Water the plants if needed.

I am thinking I will keep selling them until after Memorial Day weekend, and then find room in my garden and plant any leftovers.

sky

Post by sky »

I am planning to do another plant sale. Last year I covered my costs and made a small amount of money. This year, all I need to buy is seed and electricity for lights.

It is not a big moneymaker, but I think it builds social capital, a lot of people seemed to like what I was doing. It should be easier this year since I know how to do it.

Plant list: Oregano, thyme, chives, rosemary, peppermint, lavender, lemon balm, sage, spearmint. I may start some tomatoes and peppers later in the season.

Last year's calendar:
January 27: start rosemary and lavender
February 8: start oregano, thyme, chives, lemon balm, peppermint, spearmint
March 14: Split plants, repot into larger containers
April: Acclimatize plants
May 2: Start plant sale

If I add tomatoes and peppers this year:
February 21: start peppers
March 7: start tomatoes

sky

Post by sky »

Started Oregano, thyme, chives, lemon balm and basil today.