DIY Free Standing Pull Up Bar?

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
iopsi

DIY Free Standing Pull Up Bar?

Post by iopsi »

So i have an home gym with almost everything i need (bench/squat rack, a good bareball, a lot of weights, two olympic dumbells), except for something to do vertical pulls, i.e pull ups, chin ups, with netural grip, etc.

Since i train pretty seriously, pull up bars that you can stick to doors and similar won't do.
My body weight is around 83kg and in the gym i was doing weighted pull ups with 20kg to 40kg, so i need something sturdy.

It has to be something inside the house as well, since i wouldn't want to skip training in the case of very bad weather.

Now a possibility is to buy a good half rack, which would cost roughly 500€.
But this seems a bit of a waste since i already have something for doing bench, squats, etc (yeah, i should have bought the half rack from the start..).

I could very well spend those 500€ if there is no other realistic solution, but i was wondering if it is possible to build (like with wood or similar) an heavy duty free standing pull up bar.

I've seen online several solid outdoors builds, but that is not a good option for me.

While regarding free standing ones, there is something online about that too (but much less), but they don't feel very solid.

And also i have no experience working with wood and such, so i don't how to evaluate the sturdiness of a build (or even how to do such a build really).

So what do you suggest?

Buy the half rack and be done with it?

Or do you know a DIY design (obviously has to be cheaper than the one to buy) that would be free standing (to put inside the house) and solid at the same time?

Thanks in advance :)

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Re: DIY Free Standing Pull Up Bar?

Post by jacob »

viewtopic.php?t=8108 ... there was some pull-up bar construction going on a few years ago. I think the OP in that thread built his out of water pipes.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

How tall is your rack? Could you put a barbell on top of it or hang handles from a cross beam?

A second station to setup in does add options when lifting at home. I don't think you'd regret the half rack.

basuragomi

Post by basuragomi »

Does it have to be free-standing? Mounting a bar to wall studs or hanging one off joists would almost certainly be simpler, cheaper and sturdier. At least until you want to remove the bar and refinish the wall/ceiling. Screw a pair of anchors into the centre of a joist and hang rings, excluding the rings that's pennies of material and 10 minutes to put together.

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

Would I make sense to sell the redundant gear and get the half rack?

iopsi

Post by iopsi »

@Jacob

Thanks for the link!

@Scott2

Yes i'm doing that for the time being. But the squat rack even at max height still requires me to bend my knees and the range of motion is complete (at the bottom i have the knees sitting on the floor).

And it's pretty shaky.

Both for the lack of height and shakiness, it is only a temporary measure, i can't really improve the lift or doing it with added weight.

@basuragomi

Hmm yes that is a good idea. I think i have one spot where i can put a metal bar between wall studs. Although it's not very wide, i'll have to see.

@Gilberto de Piento

Yes i could do that.

But the squat rack was really cheap, 120 euros. I think i can sell it for 60 or 70?

Better than nothing for sure, but overall i would have to still pay 400+ for the half rack. So if there is a cheaper diy alternative i would prefer it.

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

How about a used "power tower" type piece of equipment? They are freestanding and cheap ones are less than $100 new.

iopsi

Post by iopsi »

That could also be a good idea.

I'll do some search to see if there are heavy duty ones that do not cost too much.