Clothes alteration & sewing

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
Alphaville

Re: Clothes alteration & sewing

Post by Alphaville »

Thanks for the replies!

So I discussed the issue with my wife, who grew up sewing in the boonies and used to make her own clothes in college. Hah!

She’s excited about the idea, although the last attempt we made at this some years ago she was too frazzled to do much and her $100 sewing machine (Brother) broke on like 2nd use (years after it had been bought so it couldn’t be returned). Also, whenever she’d ask a sewing question to her mom (whom she learned from as a kid) she’d get a weird look in return (ha ha ha). Now that we have good internet, she says, there’s youtube.

So maybe she can start with pajamas, which nobody looks at if they’re terrible, hahaha, and move up from there. I’m sure she’ll get the hang of it quickly.

-

On a different front, and more immediate: I’m thinking of sewing fabric masks actually, made of cloth scraps I keep for cleaning. We have a small kit of needle and thread for repairs and it should suffice.

My respirators, hazmat suit, etc, are stored in the homestead, and therefore out of reach. Renting a vehicle to go get the stuff might get me more exposed. I’m thinking the latter. Fabric masks may not be perfect, but a barrier is a barrier. Plus a car’s AC/heating vents might get me infected on the way there (a bit too paranoid, but eh...) Plus having to see family at the ranch who are used to lower sanitation standards (but have immune systems made of steel...)

Decisions, decisions...

I’ve been using mechanic’s coveralls and a bicycle balaclava when venturing out to take the trash etc (it’s a building, and corridors and staircases are chokepoints).

Suddenly the possibilities of sewing appear magical. I can’t believe now that I paid $40 for a piece of polartec to wrap around my head last winter... also $30 for 2 miserable bike saddle rain covers... d’oh! I feel so silly.

It’s going to be hard to personally inspect a sewing machine under quarantine conditions, but I believe that the savings can be immediate. Any recommendations for shopping online? (Looking for Janome right now...)

ETA: https://www.janome.com/machines/sewing/sewmini/
??

Frita

Post by Frita »

@Alphaville
Do you have any local mom and pop sewing shops? If so, you may want to reach out as they may sell second-hand or discounted new to reduce inventory.

I sewed my own clothes through my mid-twenties. First, I used my mom’s Bernina and then a Kenmore. Three moves ago I got rid of it before realizing that I still sew curtains and do other projects. Shortly after this last move, I bought a second-hand Singer (complete with the bill of sale from the 1960s, higher end model) from a family clearing out the house for an elderly relative. It works quite well.

@horsewomen
The other thing is laying the pieces of fabrics with a grain and knowing how much fabric to purchase. I do like actually having stripes and places match up well too.

When I lived in Mexico; one could take a picture, a sketch, and/or old garment into a seamstress for an exact copy. It was amazing. I am impressed with those of you with such skills.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

@Frita

My wife called the local Janome distributor a little while ago and they don’t have the mini. The cheapest machine they have is $250. We might have to call around to nearby towns. That still entails getting out of the house and going to a store if they don’t ship.

I think for now I’m just gonna shop for manual sewing kits online.

We need a work table first... then we can lay out fabric etc, even for a mask.

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

Here, the most cost-effective way of dressing oneself is second hand. One often finds quality pieces which are not pricey at all. So a sewing machine might not make sense financially - the reason to get one would be basically if you want to have custom control over what you are making.

horsewoman

Post by horsewoman »

I agree and I happen to dress myself in second hand clothes... however - sewing is a valuable skill. I could whip up dozens of fabric surgical masks in a few hours...

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

ertyu wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:19 pm
Here, the most cost-effective way of dressing oneself is second hand. One often finds quality pieces which are not pricey at all. So a sewing machine might not make sense financially - the reason to get one would be basically if you want to have custom control over what you are making.
ah, let me explain

custom is definitely how we dress already. we buy pricey stuff at the outdoor store. pricey but good. but still pricey.

we have a minimalist wardrobe so we’re careful choosing fabrics, colors and functions that match/supplement each other. we have no spares and no storage.

it’s taken us years to get to this point, we’ve been reducing since at least since 20..13? and it’s been well worth it because we can live in a small place, everything fits in a closet, and we need no furniture for clothes (other than a simple short shelf inside the closet) etc.

all of our clothes basically fit in a suitcase. ok maybe not a couple of coats or the snow boots or the greasy mechanic coveralls, but you get the idea.

even the underwear is the easy wash/travel type we can wash in the sink and hang dry.

since we walk/bike everywhere (no car) everything we wear is of the type that wicks away moisture, washes easy, dries fast, etc.

so we ditched cotton because it wicks some moisture but mostly gets soaked, needs extra energy to wash and dry (even by hand clothesline). ever had your cotton clothes freeze on the clothes line? hahaha.

anyway i tried synthetics for a while, but they smell horribly and build up smell in the armpits so that can’t wash off. even so-called “antibacterial” synthetics. also they feel nasty on the skin.

recently i’ve been experimenting with merino, and merino is king.

in summer i might experiment with ultralight merino since it’s thermoregulating and hand-washable and will drip-dry in moments.

linen is the greatest summer fabric but pricey. i have 2 nice shirts that i plan to keep forever but would like to get a more basic “sack cloth” type for everyday uniform, instead of synthetic/cotton tshirts.

lastly, i unfortunately cannot stand 2nd hand. weirdly, i think i can smell the previous owners and it gives me the creeps. maybe i’m crazy. but also i’ve found it hugely time consuming to find stuff that fits me and colors + fabrics that match. most things are discarded fashions and i hate that stuff. i hate shopping. offfff! going to a store and spending the afternoon trying stuff... please kill me now.

we have a very thrifty friend who shops exclusively at 2nd hand stores, but the size of her closet is astronomical. we know because we helped her move. we’re in a pricey apartment and now looking to move out at the end of the lease, and we’d much rather have 4 things than 400.

so these are all the reasons why at this point i just want to construct/reconstruct/replace the pieces i already have as they wear out. not really looking to “build” a wardrobe as much as just maintain the “capsule” homeostasis. i think the idea of the 33 piece capsule wardrobe is way too much, lol.

when a simple merino long-sleeve tshirt costs $100 or $200 retail, i’m willing to try (i don’t buy at those prices, i wait until they go on sale btw, but still...). also if they get a hole i need to know how to fix it.
horsewoman wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:24 pm
I agree and I happen to dress myself in second hand clothes... however - sewing is a valuable skill. I could whip up dozens of fabric surgical masks in a few hours...
it will probably take me a dozen days to make one :D

i normally buy new and wear clothes forever (15 years no problem) so that i’m my own thrift store hahaha.

but now i’m buying specialized & “curated” (see explanation above) and would love to repair & replace on my own.
Last edited by Alphaville on Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

So you totally want custom control over what you are making :lol:

Enjoy, sounds like you've got a plan and it's well thought out

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

hahaha yes. thanks for the good wishes!

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

okay found more info if anybody is interested:
Are there any special tips for sewing with merino?

Sewing merino is easy, even for a beginner with little experience! As opposed to cotton knits and synthetic knits, merino is stable and holds its shape really well, making it a great option for first-timers.

The natural elasticity and ease of the merino fibre allow for beautifully smooth and well-finished seams and hems. Because knitted fabrics move and stretch with our bodies, we need to treat them quite differently than woven fabrics and use slightly different sewing techniques and equipment.

We recommend using a serger with a ballpoint machine needle to avoid damaging knit fabric while sewing.
https://www.seamwork.com/issues/2018/10 ... erino-wool

and

Why would you use a Serger instead of a Sewing Machine?
My personal opinion is that sergers are much easier than sewing machines. They are quicker, easier, and they eliminate unnecessary work that a sewing machine can’t take care of. I believe the serger has a better stitch – better meaning that it is a stronger, more durable stitch. I prefer to use a serger any day, with any project, hands down over a typical sewing machine.
https://www.happymamatales.com/differen ... g-machine/

-

so i was probably gonna waste money with a regular sewing machine...!

horsewoman

Post by horsewoman »

Eh, no. A serger never fully replaces a regular sewing machine. Don't get me wrong, I love my serger and use it all the time, I agree with what is written above, a serger is great for stretchy fabric. But you can only sew inner seams with a serger, it can not do top stitching. Even with merino you will want to attach cuffs neatly or have nice edges. To get those you need a top stitch, or get really good at neat hand sewing. I'm pretty sure the person you quoted has a sewing machine in addition to her serger.

You could make it work with a coverlock, which is kind of a sewing machine - serger hybrid, but those are pretty expensive machines.

Before you spend money do some more research on YouTube what a serger is good for and what it can't do.
Cheap sergers are often a nightmare to thread and to sew with because the threads keep tearing or tangling.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

@horsewoman

thanks, yeah...

i’m strongly leaning towards spending $0 and just finding a helpful hobbyist to recruit into this. maybe barter or something, maybe a little business joint venture. something, once craft markets reopen i can look for an expert. or maybe we find via word of mouth.

i’m just going to focus on manual sewing skills for now, and then some day the merino tshirt project will come.

eta: i know i originally said “i want fast, cheating results” but i tend to proceed by thesis/antithesis/synthesis lol

i really appreciate you input in this process. without it i’d be in fantasyland.